Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2019-2020 Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
"Helm with hands." Turned out pretty well for us last time.

I don't really agree with the Boyle comparison for Ras at all outside of both being big and playing center.I think it looks like they were trying to stick with center comparisons, but Rasmussen is going to be pretty productive,imo, because of the role he'll fill on the power play. I'll stick with my Bobby Holik comp, or someone else mentioned Anders Lee. Agree with Jason Arnott probably being a "best case" scenario, though.
I see him as a less physical Boyle type ES and SH while being a very good net front presence on the PP.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This team needs to use their size and funnel things to the slot, too often they funnel things to the corner. I know it is a mix of that, but you can lean on them everywhere on the ice and not just on the walls. When they are playing more down the middle they are far more effective, they fall in love with the corners too much for my liking.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Kid is rolling, I'd love to see him get a look soon

He played poorly for a large part of the season but its hard to get a read on guys in Grand Rapods I think. With him being hot like this and how he has always played well when hes been called up he should get a chance

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
A lot of Svechnikov hype here lately as there should be but keep in mind he has 2 different line mates lately in both Hirose and Rasmussen who all benefit off each other. They all deserve credit when on their game.

Reactions: ealong59 and lilidk

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
A lot of Svechnikov hype here lately as there should be but keep in mind he has 2 different line mates lately in both Hirose and Rasmussen who all benefit off each other. They all deserve credit when on their game.

They do deserve credit when it applies, but they aren’t playing at the same level as Svechnikov right now. Svechnikov started playing well when Hirose was in Detroit, and has 5 goals and 7 points in his past 4 games. Hirose has 2 points in his last 2. Rasmussen has 3 points in his last 4.

And to be fair, this stretch is more important for Svechnikov than probably anybody in GR. He’s running out of runway, and we’d all like to see him get it right and find success in the NHL.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I thought Svech was great last night. Even if he had not scored I would have called it a great game for him. He was so much more on top of the play and actually dictating as opposed to simply chasing the puck around like he has much of the year.

It is amazing what a little success and confidence will do for players coming through some adversity.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

It is really ideal for Hirose, Ras and Svech create a ton of space for him to really play his game. Plus the weaker defenses allow him to exploit more in my opinion. I am not sure he can be an impact NHL guy, but Hirose can be an AHL star kind of player in my opinion. Like Locke, Krug, Hadar and the like.

Reactions: Winger98

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Only halfway through the game so far but Ras is the best player on the ice.

He has been excellent when he has been in the lineup. I have a lot of restored faith in Rasmussen watching him this year. I was patient anyway last year, but I think we just need him to stay healthy for a longer stretch and one more summer of getting stronger should make a big difference. Would love for him to hang around Mantha, I know he is one of the guys that doesn't summer in Detroit, but Ras could really use his model in terms of how Mantha just got stronger and stronger each year.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Name some other Red Wings' prospects that were referred to as 'Helm with hands'

I remember hearing that about Quine when we took him.

A lot of times it is a guy with plus speed, I think some tried it with AA though that was wrong, similar with it being attached to Emmerton after Helm had broke through onto the championship teams and he was still in Grand Rapids.

Helm with hands is a really intriguing player as I said when people were freaking out about it when it was attached to Larkin. I don't think Veleno is like Helm really. Honestly I think he is a poormans Larkin or Horvat, Mike Richards from the previous era type. I like Veleno, I don't really understand the notion he is passing Larkin. Byfield sure, I would be stunned if Joe can supplant Larkin in terms of importance in this organization.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I don't think people remember Larkin's initial projection. Pundits in some places were saying he could be an excellent third line center. Helm with hands made sense at that point, because he was playing more of an energy game at the NTDP. It's only when he got to Michigan that he broke out as a legit offensive star was carried to a great season by future superstar Zach Hyman.

Reactions: BSHH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad