Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2019-2020 Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
How big business is AHL hockey in General ?

Marketing for the AHL is very bad. A lot of the teams are in non-hockey markets. (Bakersfield Condors, Stockton Heat, etc.)

AHLTV is also kind of a mishmash. The video quality is mediocre and you can choose to either listen to the hometeam audio, or a radio broadcast of the visiting team audio. It's also almost as expensive as NHL Network for a way inferior product.

Considering how the AHL is now the official farm team league of the NHL, the NHL needs to invest in boosting its revenues to keep it viable.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Marketing for the AHL is very bad. A lot of the teams are in non-hockey markets. (Bakersfield Condors, Stockton Heat, etc.)

AHLTV is also kind of a mishmash. The video quality is mediocre and you can choose to either listen to the hometeam audio, or a radio broadcast of the visiting team audio. It's also almost as expensive as NHL Network for a way inferior product.

Considering how the AHL is now the official farm team league of the NHL, the NHL needs to invest in boosting its revenues to keep it viable.

I wouldnt be suprised if for the sake of the league staying afloat if the NHL is to give it a bunch of money this year so they can play in front of no fans and still be viable

Reactions: hkydave04

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I wouldnt be suprised if for the sake of the league staying afloat if the NHL is to give it a bunch of money this year so they can play in front of no fans and still be viable
A bunch of teams have internal caps that are now lower than the salary cap. I don't see the NHL funding AHL to play. I'm really beginning to wonder if they'll play at all..... which would explain why they shipped off the top prospects to Europe.

Reactions: MBH and hkydave04

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
A bunch of teams have internal caps that are now lower than the salary cap. I don't see the NHL funding AHL to play. I'm really beginning to wonder if they'll play at all..... which would explain why they shipped off the top prospects to Europe.

Yep, NHL teams aren't just going to fund the AHL.
As it is, NHL teams are going to eat a lot of money this year. I don't see them funding operation of the AHL too.
If there is a season, now would be a good time for FSD to sign a tv deal with the Griffs. Make some money. Increase their exposure.

Reactions: Gniwder

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Get Access

“It would be very difficult for most of our teams to operate without fans,” Scott Howson, the president of the AHL, told the Free Press. “I think there are some that would want to do it. Most of our teams are sort of able to operate at 50% capacity. That is the feedback we are getting from surveys, but right now, we aren’t close to that in most of our jurisdictions.”

In Finland, the Liiga reality has been that 50-55% of fans have attended at the games. My home team Tappara has split the arena in 8 sections per 500 people + one 500 people section for stands. That makes 4500 maximum attendance, and highest has been ~3000 in weekend games. Usually same weekend game would have been near ~6000.

So half of the people are at home, but Telia streaming service offers real good option to watch games at home. It's like NHL, the quality and studios and everything.

Could AHL live with same? Aren't AHL-sent NHL players help from NHL affilitate, because they pay the salary?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Get Access

In Finland, the Liiga reality has been that 50-55% of fans have attended at the games. My home team Tappara has split the arena in 8 sections per 500 people + one 500 people section for stands. That makes 4500 maximum attendance, and highest has been ~3000 in weekend games. Usually same weekend game would have been near ~6000.

So half of the people are at home, but Telia streaming service offers real good option to watch games at home. It's like NHL, the quality and studios and everything.

Could AHL live with same? Aren't AHL-sent NHL players help from NHL affilitate, because they pay the salary?

Not without the NHL heavily subsidizing them, imo. The AHL needs its gate to function.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad