Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2019-2020 Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnificent66

Sep 9, 2013
There was a piece on the Athletic the other day about Veleno. Did anyone read it and see who his NHL comparable was?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
There was a piece on the Athletic the other day about Veleno. Did anyone read it and see who his NHL comparable was?

What piece are you referring to?

2/4 - Wheeler ranked him #2 (behind Seider) in his prospect pool rankings but didn't mention a comparison.
1/26 - Bultman wrote an article on his season but didn't mention a comparison.
1/15 - Bultman him #3 (behind Seider and Zadina) ranked the top Red Wings prospects
1/13 - Bultman had a Q&A with Horcoff but neither mentioned a comparison.

Don't know if I missed something.

Reactions: Konnan511

Magnificent66

Sep 9, 2013
What piece are you referring to?

2/4 - Wheeler ranked him #2 (behind Seider) in his prospect pool rankings but didn't mention a comparison.
1/26 - Bultman wrote an article on his season but didn't mention a comparison.
1/15 - Bultman him #3 (behind Seider and Zadina) ranked the top Red Wings prospects
1/13 - Bultman had a Q&A with Horcoff but neither mentioned a comparison.

Don't know if I missed something.

Impressive, thanks!

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

It¨s really tough to find the comparable, but I still think prime Stephen Weiss could be the nearest. Maybe he'll make a career of his own and becomes a comparable for future generations.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany

Don't think there's an article, but there was an epsiode of the "Wings for Breakfast" podcast (Feb 10), where they talked, among other things, about NHL player comps for Veleno, Rasmussen, Seider and Lindstrom.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
You're not going to tell us, are you.

Sure I am. But when I came across it few days ago, I didn't have much time and skipped ahead to the Seider part.
Just listened to the whole thing and here are the players they mentioned.

Joe Veleno:
· Darren Helm with more offense/hands
· Alex Kerfoot
· Tomas Plekanec (best case)
· Colin Wilson
· Dave Bolland (worst case)

Michael Rasmussen:
· Jordan Staal (not really a comparison, but a player for Rasmussen to model his game after)
· Brian Boyle with better scoring
· Jason Arnott (dream scenario)
· Martin Hanzal (probably too optimistic)
· Brian Boyle (conservative projection)
Boyle was mentioned by both hosts with slightly different context.

Moritz Seider:
· Brandon Carlo defensively (stylistically), but better offense
· Colton Parayko
· Dion Phaneuf (in Calgary), but better defensively and slightly worse offensively.

Gustav Lindstrom:
· Jonathan Ericsson
· Alec Martinez
· Andreas Lilja at his best

Mind you that they tried not to be too optimistic and they gave a lot of context for their comparables and I could not transcribe the whole segment.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Sure I am. But when I came across it few days ago, I didn't have much time and skipped ahead to the Seider part.

Joe Veleno:
Oh God, flashbacks of every prospect when Helm was in his Prime. "He's like Helm, but with hands"

Reactions: mantha39

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I was not impressed at all with there player comparables discussion. When they brought up that take I cringed lol

Iyer has really defined opinions on Veleno and Rasmussen. He is free to have them, but it sort of warped the discussion in my opinion. What is interesting is that Buttman (Bultman whoops) who actually makes trips to Grand Rapids to the Griffins to see them in person had sort of the opposite opinion and has become more and more a believer in Rasmussen over the last year in my opinion.

I did find Arnott a fascinating one that had kind of escaped me as a comparison until that moment.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Joe Veleno:
· Alex Kerfoot
· Tomas Plekanec (best case)
· Colin Wilson
· Dave Bolland (worst case)

Michael Rasmussen:
· Jordan Staal (not really a comparison, but a player for Rasmussen to model his game after)
· Brian Boyle with better scoring
· Jason Arnott (dream scenario)
· Martin Hanzal (probably too optimistic)
· Brian Boyle (conservative projection)
Boyle was mentioned by both hosts with slightly different context.

Moritz Seider:
· Brandon Carlo defensively (stylistically), but better offense
· Colton Parayko
· Dion Phaneuf (in Calgary), but better defensively and slightly worse offensively.

Gustav Lindstrom:
· Jonathan Ericsson
· Alec Martinez
· Andreas Lilja at his best

Mind you that they tried not to be too optimistic and they gave a lot of context for their comparables and I could not transcribe the whole segment.

"Helm with hands." Turned out pretty well for us last time.

I don't really agree with the Boyle comparison for Ras at all outside of both being big and playing center.I think it looks like they were trying to stick with center comparisons, but Rasmussen is going to be pretty productive,imo, because of the role he'll fill on the power play. I'll stick with my Bobby Holik comp, or someone else mentioned Anders Lee. Agree with Jason Arnott probably being a "best case" scenario, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad