Grading the draft

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
I feel like Hanafins overrated. I think he ends up a solid, non special D.

I give Leafs an A- ... I wanted Merkley, but we will see how everything ends up years from now. Love the Marner pick. Bracco and Timashov amazingggg.

mikebel111*

I feel like Hanafins overrated. I think he ends up a solid, non special D.

I give Leafs an A- ... I wanted Merkley, but we will see how everything ends up years from now. Love the Marner pick. Bracco and Timashov amazingggg.

I agree. Hanifin doesn't wow me, I think he ends up being a solid top 4 d man because his skating and smarts are up there, but way to conservative d man. I kind of agree with Button's ranking. Really glad we picked up Marner and was the right choice over Hanifin

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Liked the Bracco, Timashov, and Korostelev picks. Disliked the Marner and Dermott picks. and indifferent towards Desrocher, Lindgren, Dzerkais, and Nielsen picks.

He gets a C+ from me. Passing on Hanifin for Marner and passing on Konecny for Dermott and Bracco will end up being mistakes imo(In my Opinion!).

yes just like how you said before me, that the leafs first 2 picks will end up being mistakes. Now who was trying to tell the future

that's right, Some poster named Hanifin, you mind telling me how many # of points Leafs will get next season

so yes Erik. Johnson

Unlike you, I don't state my opinion as fact.

Dubey said:
How often are you allowed to change your username on here?

Once a year. So I'm stuck with it for a while.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Hard not to give the Leafs an A.

The organization underwent an evolution from drafting size with no skill to focusing on skilled players with high ceilings. They were able to move back and pickup players they ranked highly with later picks (drafted Bracco who was ranked 22 on the Leafs board at 61).

Came away with the biggest steal of the draft at 185 (Korostelev) and the best player outside of McDavid and Eichel. Just a great draft, the cornerstone for the rebuild. Excited to finally be able to watch some of our own kids in the world juniors for once.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Leafs could have drafted the #3 BPA consensus player on the draft board in Hanifin, traded Gardiner (who is much more proven than Rienhart to Edmonton for #16 and #33 drafting Barzal and Travis Dermott with those Oiler picks (that NYI received in trade) and then drafted Nick Merkley with their own #24.

Then 33 picks into this draft minus Gardiner they could have had Hanifin #1D, Barzal #1C, Merkley and Dermott.

As a result of being inactive in the player trade market they ended up with just Marner after those same picks and now time will tell if Marner was the right choice over the potential near franchise Dman.

That's a lot of assuming you're doing there.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I think the Canes board could use another fan.

You have a weird infatuation with the Canes. You acknowledge them in every reply to me. Maybe you should pay their board a visit, it might help you get something off your mind.

Your constant bashing of Marner is already getting old, and will most likely continue. Not looking forward to it.

Apparently having legitimate concerns about a player the Leafs drafted is considered "bashing" now. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
After digesting for a few days, researching the picks I knew little about, it seems the talent level of our prospects has improved greatly. I was happy with any of Marner, Strome, or Hanifin at #4 so I am very excited about Marner. Trading down the 24th initially had be scratching my head, there were some high value players on the board, but I knew next to nothing about Dermott. Give Hunter the benefit of the doubt. They seemed to target both Dermott and Bracco, and knowing they would both be available later. I saw Bracco as a late first, early second, so that's fantastic getting those two guys with essentially one pick.

Nielsen I know nothing about...late bloomer that some scout must really like.
Lindgren sounds like another nice Swedish defenseman from our man Bergman.
Dzierkals has black fire in his eyes...boom or bust, he is relentless and very skilled..love this sleeper pick.
Timashov sounds like Bracco in that he is a play making small winger with huge upside. First year in North America too. I really like this guys potential.
Desrocher, an overager, but might just be putting it all together...good size..new asst coach knows him well.
Korostelev is a boom or bust who was originally pegged for the second round...can't complain there.

I give it a solid A. The big North American defensemen are the least eye catching, but love the skill picks.

As for the Marincin trade, He seems to play pretty small for a guy his size. Don't see how he fits...I think Dubas liked his advanced stats, maybe he was in the wrong environment. Why not keep the pick and get another boon or bust player. Jury Is out.

A+. 4 - TOR MITCHELL MARNER C CAN 5' 11" 160 OHL LONDON
B. 34 - TOR TRAVIS DERMOTT D CAN 5' 11" 197 OHL ERIE
A+ 61 - TOR JEREMY BRACCO RW USA 5' 9" 173 USHL USA U-18
C+. 65 - TOR ANDREW NIELSEN D CAN 6' 3" 207 WHL LETHBRIDGE
A. 68 - TOR MARTINS DZIERKALS LW LVA 5' 11" 169 RUSSIA-JR. RIGA 2
A. 95 - TOR JESPER LINDGREN D SWE 5' 11" 161 SWEDEN-JR. MODO JR.
A. 125 - TOR DMYTRO TIMASHOV LW UKR 5' 9" 192 QMJHL QUEBEC
B. 155 - TOR STEPHEN DESROCHER D CAN 6' 3" 198 OHL OSHAWA
A 185 - TOR NIKITA KOROSTELEV RW RUS 6' 1" 195 OHL SARNIA

Last edited:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
B -

First of all, my #1 target was Marner and we got him so excited by that. Last year I wanted Nylander and we got him so at least my first choice targets are getting picked as of the last couple of drafts. The rest I have honestly no clue about. I understand however getting Bracco at #61 was a big deal and I have seen some posters wanting us to take him with our then 24th overall pick.

We did not make any big roster moves or any at all so that is a big negative but I understand there is still plenty of time to make those deals.

I watched the draft out in a cabin. I used my iphone to get internet connection to my MacBook who was connected to a big TV. Tried it out earlier and it worked fine. My phone had 4G connection prior to the draft and also moments after the draft but during the draft it went down to 3G. So bloody typical. It still worked but I didnt get to see the draft in HD. :rant:

And I was drunk and this was in the middle of the night so I lost concentration at times but I am used to watching the draft drunk ;)

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
You have a weird infatuation with the Canes. You acknowledge them in every reply to me. Maybe you should pay their board a visit, it might help you get something off your mind.

Apparently having legitimate concerns about a player the Leafs drafted is considered "bashing" now. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

No you just seemed to be extremely attached to Hanifin which probably won't change so instead of bringing Marner down all the time on here you could go talk to Canes fans about Hanifin.

There's a difference between having concerns with a player and over concerning a player while also saying stuff like picking Marner was a mistake. Clearly your bias for Hanifin is playing a big part here.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
A+

Toronto fans are ridiculous. How can you **** all over mgmt for not making roster moves to acquire more picks while ignoring the fact they acquired more picks without making roster moves????

Brilliant and systematic maneuvering in my books.

Without knowing all the offers for roster players it is impossible to pass judgement as history has proven so many times that "no move" is sometimes by far the best move.

Would I have liked to see some roster moves?? Hell ya!!

Would I want mgmt doing things to appease my impatient timetable? hell no!!

Making moves by the draft was our expectations and thankfully not theirs. A patient team is a team that generally wins in their transactions.

I also love the draftees!!!! Trading back and picking up multiple 3rd's in a draft many people said was decent into the 4th round was brilliant.

Drafting hugely talented players passed up because of their size is genius. Think about it! The league is swinging in a direction allowing for smaller players while these players are still growing. You can jam more protein shakes in their mouth than hockey IQ in their brains!

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
One more thing!

I think the Leafs shoudl stick to this philosophy.

Draft IQ - trade/sign grit

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
My biggest question marks likes and dislikes with Hunter and the Leafs draft that I will follow closely in the future will be.

Marner over Hanifin .. Who will be the better player here .. I would have taken Seth Jones over Jonathan Drouin in 2013 and I would have taken Noah Hanifin over Mitch Marner in 2015. Passing on the big #1 potential Dman when you are following the blueprint of building a team from the goalie out is questionable. IMO

Also trading down from #24 (Travis Konecny) to get #29 (Nick Merkley) & #61 (Jeremy Bracco) seems like great value in the Konecny and Merkley are similar smaller highly skilled players that Hunter likes and so is Bracco sweetener to take Merks.

However as much as I like Travis Dermott as I had him as a potential 35-45 pick in this draft myself the trading back from #29 (Merkley) to #34 (Dermott) & #68 (Martins Dzierkals) is something that I wouldn't have done.. Now in fairness I only remember Dzierkals vaguely from the U-18 (as a scrappy hyperactive little forward like Brendan Gallagher) & and since Latvia wasn't in 2014-15 WJC as they played in D1A trying to get into the top level after being relegated in 2013-14 he wasn't seen as a 18 year by me. So Hunter or someone scouting MHL (2nd tier Russian league) must really like this kid. The fact he is rumoured coming to NA and thus likely getting drafted in the Euro import draft and playing the CHL he will be interesting to follow. However at #68 I would never have drafted Martins Dzierkals a player that was unrated by central scouting and taking big 6-4 Russian forward Alexander Dergachyov, Centre, SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL.

Also Nikita Korostelev, Right Wing, Sarnia Sting, OHL is great value gamble for the 7th round and I thought big 6-3 Stephen Desrocher, Dman Oshawa (OHL) had a real strong Memorial Cup playing for the Championship team a player I would have taken in the end of the 4th or 5th and Hunter got him in the 6th round. He was passed over the previous year so that likely a reason for his fall in the draft.

However #65 Andrew Nielsen 6' 3"/207 Dman from Lethbridge of the WHL who I got to see play in person even last year in the WHL was a surprise pick as I would have thought Dubas would have taken his boy Blake Speers the speedy forward that can play all 3 positions from his Sault Ste. Marie team who is a Jiri Hudler style player.

With Hunter/Hofford getting his boy Marner I would have though Dubas would have pushed for his boy Speers as that is certainly the player I myself would have taken at #68. If Hunter wanted a Dman in that round then I would have drafted Parker Wotherspoon, Defence, Tri-City Americans, (WHL) instead. Parker Wotherspoon is an outstanding skater, played for Canada at the last U-18 and plays like Kevin Bieksa of the Vancouver Canucks. I got to see Wotherspoon play my Rockets in round 1 of the WHL playoffs and although his team was swept he was assigned the task of going up againt Chartier -- Draisaitl and Merkley line.

So bottom line some selections I really liked, some I agreed with and some I would have gone a completely different way on. So I have mixed feelings on Leafs draft overall but also I'm putting my faith Hunter that he is right and made correct moves.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
As a draft junkie and someone that watches 100's of junior games each year and ever minute of ever U-18, WJC and other events Frozen 4 and NCAA regional finals that are televised etc as well as buying major draft guides and reading all on-line scouting reports I can get my hands I always create my own draft board rankings each draft year. Then I compare Leafs actual picks to my own draft board and what I would have done if I was Leafs director of scouting.

Here is this year results.

Hunter's actual Leafs Draft

#4 --- Mitchell Marner, Right Wing/Centre, London Knights (OHL) – 5-foot-11, 160 pounds
#34 -- Travis Dermott, Defense, Erie Otters (OHL) – 5-foot-11, 197 pounds
#61 -- Jeremy Bracco, Right Wing, USHL (USA U-18) – 5-foot-9, 173 pounds
#65 -- Andrew Nielsen, Defense, Lethbridge Broncos (WHL) – 6-foot-3, 207 pounds
#68 -- Martins Dzierkals, Left Wing, Riga 2 ( Russia Jr.) – 5-foot-11, 169 pounds
#95 -- Jesper Lindgren, Defense, Modo Jr (Sweden JR) – 5-foot-11, 161 pounds
#125 - Dmytro Timashov, Left Wing, Quebec Remparts (QMJHL) – 5-foot-9, 192 pounds
#155 - Stephen Desrocher, Defense, Oshawa General (OHL) – 6-foot-3, 198 pounds
#185 - Nikita Korostelev, Right Wing, Sarnia Sting, (OHL) 6-foot-2, 195 pounds

My Leafs draft (using my draft rankings board) for 2015 draft

#4 --- Noah Hanifin, D, Boston College (NCAA) – 6-foot-2, 205 pounds
#16 -- Mathew Barzal, C, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL) – 6-foot-0, 180 pounds
#29 -- Nick Merkley, RW/C, Kelowna Rockets (WHL) — 5-foot-10, 185 pounds
#33 -- Jansen Harkins, C, Prince George Cougars (WHL) – 6-foot-1, 180 pounds
#61 -- Alexander Dergachyov, Centre, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL) – 6-foot-4, 200 pounds
#65 -- Felix Sandstrom, Goaltender, Brynas IF, (SHL) – 6-foot-2, 191 pounds
#95 -- Parker Wotherspoon, Defence, Tri-City Americans, (WHL) – 6-foot-0, 171 pounds
#125 - Simon Bourque, Defense, Rimouski, (QMJHL) – 6-foot-0, 184 pounds

* Instead of the NYI trading Griffin Reinhart, I would have traded Jake Gardiner to Edmonton for #16 and #33 when Barzal was on the board, and moved heaven and earth to get that pick even if it meant adding another pick (Pens 2nd in 2016)..

** Instead of trading #29 for #34 and #68 I would not have traded out of the 1st round but stayed at #29 particularly when my hometown team Merkley was still on the board.

Leafsman

May 22, 2008
As a draft junkie and someone that watches 100's of junior games each year and ever minute of ever U-18, WJC and other events Frozen 4 and NCAA regional finals that are televised etc as well as buying major draft guides and reading all on-line scouting reports I can get my hands I always create my own draft board rankings each draft year. Then I compare Leafs actual picks to my own draft board and what I would have done if I was Leafs director of scouting.

Here is this year results.

Hunter's actual Leafs Draft

#4 --- Mitchell Marner, Right Wing/Centre, London Knights (OHL) – 5-foot-11, 160 pounds
#34 -- Travis Dermott, Defense, Erie Otters (OHL) – 5-foot-11, 197 pounds
#61 -- Jeremy Bracco, Right Wing, USHL (USA U-18) – 5-foot-9, 173 pounds
#65 -- Andrew Nielsen, Defense, Lethbridge Broncos (WHL) – 6-foot-3, 207 pounds
#68 -- Martins Dzierkals, Left Wing, Riga 2 ( Russia Jr.) – 5-foot-11, 169 pounds
#95 -- Jesper Lindgren, Defense, Modo Jr (Sweden JR) – 5-foot-11, 161 pounds
#125 - Dmytro Timashov, Left Wing, Quebec Remparts (QMJHL) – 5-foot-9, 192 pounds

My Leafs draft (using my draft rankings board) for 2015 draft

#4 --- Noah Hanifin, D, Boston College (NCAA) – 6-foot-2, 205 pounds
#16 -- Mathew Barzal, C, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL) – 6-foot-0, 180 pounds
#29 -- Nick Merkley, RW/C, Kelowna Rockets (WHL) — 5-foot-10, 185 pounds
#33 -- Jansen Harkins, C, Prince George Cougars (WHL) – 6-foot-1, 180 pounds
#61 -- Alexander Dergachyov, Centre, SKA St. Petersburg (KHL) – 6-foot-4, 200 pounds
#65 -- Felix Sandstrom, Goaltender, Brynas IF, (SHL) – 6-foot-2, 191 pounds
#95 -- Parker Wotherspoon, Defence, Tri-City Americans, (WHL) – 6-foot-0, 171 pounds
#125 - Simon Bourque, Defense, Rimouski, (QMJHL) – 6-foot-0, 184 pounds

* Instead of the NYI trading Griffin Reinhart, I would have traded Jake Gardiner to Edmonton for #16 and #33 when Barzal was on the board, and moved heaven and earth to get that pick even if it meant adding another pick (Pens 2nd in 2016)..

** Instead of trading #29 for #34 and #68 I would not have traded out of the 1st round but stayed at #29 particularly when my hometown team Merkley was still on the board.

Much easier without the handcuffs of reality. Would your trades have happened??

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Much easier without the handcuffs of reality. Would your trades have happened??
I only have 1 trade and that is instead of NYI trading minor leaguer Griffin Reinhart for #16 and #33 the Leafs grade NHL Gardiner instead. That would be the only uncertainty if the Oilers would take Justin Schultz pal Gardiner or Reinhart and so I agree those picks would not be guarantedd although the trading of those picks happened as is as Edmonton did trade away #16 and #33 for a Dman.

Pete Charelli was the Boston GM in the Leaf playoff series and Gardiner was excellent against him Bruins, where as Griffin Reinhart has yet to become an NHLer.

All the other pick are the same of what the Leafs did.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I only have 1 trade and that is instead of NYI trading minor leaguer Griffin Reinhart for #16 and #33 the Leafs grade NHL Gardiner instead. That would be the only uncertainty if the Oilers would take Justin Schultz pal Gardiner or Reinhart and so I agree those picks would not be guarantedd although the trading of those picks happened as is as Edmonton did trade away #16 and #33 for a Dman.

Pete Charelli was the Boston GM in the Leaf playoff series and Gardiner was excellent against him Bruins, where as Griffin Reinhart has yet to become an NHLer.

All the other pick are the same of what the Leafs did.

Why do you think Gardiner is a suitable replacement for Griffin Reinhart? Sounds like Edmonton wanted Hamilton and then shifted gears towards Reinhart a) because he's a similar body type and kind of a poor man's Hamilton b) because he played juniors in Edmonton with the Oil Kings.

Also, Reinhart was picked three years ago. He's still a prospect, whereas most players in Gardiner's age group who were likely to be star players have already blossomed into those players by now. He was picked 2 spots behind Erik Karlsson. I don't think people are seeing the same kind of upside there.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I'd say the overall weekend was a B.

Marner
Konecny/Other
Dermott
Bracco
Nielsen
Dzierkals
Lindgren
Timashav
Desrochers
Korostelev

Could have been achieved if some movement on the tear down had happened with any one of Lupul, Bozak, Kessel, Phaneuf being moved, with some 2nd round and lower picks coming back in some fashion.

The Marincin trade was good.

The loading up of Tampa style forwards was good.

I don't think I've ever seen you make a post that didn't have some form of negativity lol

I don't even think you can help yourself

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't think I've ever seen you make a post that didn't have some form of negativity lol

I don't even think you can help yourself

a) When you're on a forum about an unsuccessful hockey team, there's going to be some negativity. Seems to make sense to me.

b) When you're in a thread about "grading" something, there's going to be some form of critique and discussion and often times a grade assigned at isn't A+.

I'm sorry you don't enjoy my ideas about the Leafs, I'm pretty sure there's an ignore button somewhere.

Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3