Grading the draft

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
I'd give this draft a A-. A bit disappointed we didn't trade any roster players *cough cough Kessel cough cough Bozak* for picks but I guess they haven't found the right deal yet. But we picked up some pretty good players.

4 - TOR MITCHELL MARNER C CAN 5' 11" 160 OHL LONDON
34 - TOR TRAVIS DERMOTT D CAN 5' 11" 197 OHL ERIE
61 - TOR JEREMY BRACCO RW USA 5' 9" 173 USHL USA U-18
65 - TOR ANDREW NIELSEN D CAN 6' 3" 207 WHL LETHBRIDGE
68 - TOR MARTINS DZIERKALS LW LVA 5' 11" 169 RUSSIA-JR. RIGA 2
95 - TOR JESPER LINDGREN D SWE 5' 11" 161 SWEDEN-JR. MODO JR.
125 - TOR DMYTRO TIMASHOV LW UKR 5' 9" 192 QMJHL QUEBEC
155 - TOR STEPHEN DESROCHER D CAN 6' 3" 198 OHL OSHAWA
185 - TOR NIKITA KOROSTELEV RW RUS 6' 1" 195 OHL SARNIA

How would you rate it?

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
A because you asked to rate the draft not what we didn't do to get more picks.

Steamwhistle

Nov 10, 2014
Toronto
A-

While we didn't make any huge roster player moves (yet), I absolutely love the picks we got. Every single pick shows a ton of potential. Awesome draft by Dubas and the boys.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
A.

Injected loads of skill into our pipeline. They obviously all won't turn out, but you're hoping you hit a homer on one or two of then.

As for the trades, these deals take time.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
A-

While we didn't make any huge roster player moves (yet), I absolutely love the picks we got. Every single pick shows a ton of potential. Awesome draft by Dubas and the boys.

I agree with this 100%. Really like the picks. Kind of upset we didn't get Koenecny or Merkley but oh well.

Warrior16

Apr 30, 2010
A-. A lot of skill drafted which was nice. Would've liked to see at least Bozak or Lupul traded but overall good.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
The picks were amazing. Solid A. The amount of skill we just added to a prospect pool already filled to the brim with blue-collar types is the perfect compliment. We now have a top 10 pool easily.

As for the management, meh. We didn't manage to move any of the pieces we were looking to.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
A- ... Went swinging for the fences on most picks - a heavy dose of skill splashed with hockey IQ despite the smaller heights of some of the players. Ended it with a Russian that could have gone in the second round. Gained more picks by smartly moving down and getting some dropped skilled guys with those 3rd rounders.

The only thing that was disappointing is that they didn't move anyone from the current roster for additional picks

Phatic

Aug 2, 2011
right now feels like D-... i dont feel like the late 2nd/3rd was worth the move, but i guess we'll find out, and maybe ill revisit my grade.

missed on trading roster players for picks.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Solid A with the players selected.

Overall, not dealing a single player for a pick or two brings the grade down to B+.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
A

Huge injection of highly skilled players into our pipeline. Size is obviously a bit of a concern for several of them, but the potential for greatness is absolutely there. If just 2 or 3 of them pan out, it's still a great day. Marlies will probably be really fun to watch.

Would have liked to see some trades to get a few more picks in the top60, but 2016 picks will be great to have as well.

ldnk

Apr 8, 2009
Kessel/Bozak/JVR/Lupul/etc were not tied to the draft. Judging the Leafs for not moving them for this draft is silly. If the return for Bozak in this draft was going to be a 3rd or 4th round pick and next year would be a 2nd round pick, I'll take the 2nd round pick. It's unfair to judge moves that weren't made when we don't know the outcome.

I don't love the Dermott or Nielsen picks but the other picks are all highly skilled, strong skating players and aside from Korostolev they all have an element of two-way play in their games.

I'd give it a solid A. Knowing full well that most of these guys won't make a huge NHL impact but adding 9 prospects plus Marincin is a pretty good day overall.

Overall it brings the Leafs prospect tally this year to: Bailey, Shostnikov, Hyman, Marner, Dermott, Nielsen, Bracco, Dzierkals, Lindgren, Timashov, Desrocher and Korostolev.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd say the overall weekend was a B.

Marner
Konecny/Other
Dermott
Bracco
Nielsen
Dzierkals
Lindgren
Timashav
Desrochers
Korostelev

Could have been achieved if some movement on the tear down had happened with any one of Lupul, Bozak, Kessel, Phaneuf being moved, with some 2nd round and lower picks coming back in some fashion.

The Marincin trade was good.

The loading up of Tampa style forwards was good.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
B-

Trading back and getting Dermott instead of one of the higher rated guys was a disappointment

Rest of the picks were fine. Bracco in the 3rd and Korostelev in the 7th were great value picks. Wish we hadn't skipped on Dergachyov though.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I'd give this draft a A-. A bit disappointed we didn't trade any roster players *cough cough Kessel cough cough Bozak* for picks but I guess they haven't found the right deal yet. But we picked up some pretty good players.

4 - TOR MITCHELL MARNER C CAN 5' 11" 160 OHL LONDON
34 - TOR TRAVIS DERMOTT D CAN 5' 11" 197 OHL ERIE
61 - TOR JEREMY BRACCO RW USA 5' 9" 173 USHL USA U-18
65 - TOR ANDREW NIELSEN D CAN 6' 3" 207 WHL LETHBRIDGE
68 - TOR MARTINS DZIERKALS LW LVA 5' 11" 169 RUSSIA-JR. RIGA 2
95 - TOR JESPER LINDGREN D SWE 5' 11" 161 SWEDEN-JR. MODO JR.
125 - TOR DMYTRO TIMASHOV LW UKR 5' 9" 192 QMJHL QUEBEC

155 - TOR STEPHEN DESROCHER D CAN 6' 3" 198 OHL OSHAWA
185 - TOR NIKITA KOROSTELEV RW RUS 6' 1" 195 OHL SARNIA

How would you rate it?

I've bolded the picks that I really like. This is a really exciting draft for the Leafs. They chose a lot of HIGH END skill.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
A
Traded down and got more picks in a deep draft.
Got lucky with Bracco, and Korostelev
Interesting potential in Lindgren
I like that we did not pick low ceiling safe players or guys who are big (Biggs, Gauthier, Devane. etc)
Went for skill and skating for the most part, at the expense of size, however I don't think we draft anyone smaller than 5'10 which is no big deal to me in the new NHL.
Also very happy with the amount of picks we had compared to previous years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad