Boston Bruins Grade the Bruins Deadline

Grade?

• Total voters

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
You can look at it two ways. One is that they really needed a top-6 RW stud to play with Krejci. That spot has been a black hole on the roster since around 2014-2015. The fact that Sweeney hasn't managed to plug that hole in 4 years looks terrible on him.

On the other hand it was probably a moonshot to land that guy at the trade deadline. If the asking price for that guy would've been something like two 1sts plus DeBrusk and Vaakanainen, I can see why he didn't do it. What he did was to improve other major weaknesses without giving up anything significant. In a vacuum it was a decent trade deadline, but there's still a major hole on the roster which is worrying.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Simply noting that his nose is beet red.

How do you think Johansson is a good fit here?

He's a middle 6 winger who can play both sides. He a good two-way winger who can play special teams if needed. Has some goal scoring upside, scored 24G in WSH his final year there and is on pace for 17G this year.

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
Didn't give up a ton, filled much needed holes in the third line, got a real 3c for the next 1.5 seasons. I'm happy if we keep our top 6 the way it is and now backes is able to swap out with acciari.

Didn't give up Heinen/Gryz/Debrusk or a huge pick or prospect. I'm pretty content.

Reactions: Agent86 and Alicat

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
C-

Slight improvement on the third line. Doesn't put us in contention for the cup.

I'd say Coyle+ Johansson is a clear upgrade to the 3rd line, but we all know that wasn't the only issue in this roster.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Coyle was good. Johansson is settling. Same hole we all knew about.

Lots of optimism needed now. I think we flushed a 2nd round pick down the toilet on a 3rd line one time 50 point, two time 82 games played, winger.
Honestly, I wanted the Bruins to pick up both of these guys and had posts about it before they were acquired... I just didn't want that to be it. To me, they're depth additions when what we really needed was a top6 guy.

We gave up a couple good future pieces in Donato and a 2nd to do what? We still can't say we're the clear favorite in Round 1.

Reactions: Pia8988

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
b- love the coyle trade but i feel like we gave up a little early on donato... am ok with mojo trade but really wish that 2nd was a 3rd

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I was delighted with the Coyle trade. I thought it made sense. And if Heinen or Debrusk were 50 point players again this year like they were last year I'd probably be ok with Mojo being here to stabilize the bottom 6 as well.

I'd call it all a C+ because they didn't sell the farm or go all in, which isn't a bad thing, but this team is basically gambling on Heinen being ready for top 6 work (or so it seems). I'm not mad they didn't get Stone, but I am a bit disappointed that this looks like another year off of Bergy's career where they could have possibly made a real push for the cup but they may very well not

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
He's a middle 6 winger who can play both sides. He a good two-way winger who can play special teams if needed. Has some goal scoring upside, scored 24G in WSH his final year there and is on pace for 17G this year.
Ok. Do you think he "moves the needle"? Is he a guy that will make an impact in the playoffs? I respect your opinion on this, btw, it just seems like a late panic move to me when he could get plan A, B, or C done.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
That's a lot to give up for 3rd liners, especially when one of them is a UFA.

For comparison's sake, Nyquist was traded for a 2nd and a 3rd. He's on pace for 64 points and went to college in New England.

I'll bet Donato outscores both our acquisitions down the stretch. Maybe even both combined

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
My only issue is giving up Donato. But i think the fact that Bjork and JFK are both hurt made the options for a prospect they would want limited. Hopefully Bjork can stay healthy next year, still think he is a player. Hopefully Johansson looks good on Krejci's wing, then the trade for Coyle and being able to put Heinen on the third line is really gonna help that line.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Ok. Do you think he "moves the needle"? Is he a guy that will make an impact in the playoffs? I respect your opinion on this, btw, it just seems like a late panic move to me when he could get plan A, B, or C done.

He moves the needle because the Bruins now have depth in the lineup. Instead of having 1 scoring line, they have 3. It was a need. Did I want a legitimate upgrade like a Stone? Yes, but it didn't happen. He can make an impact in the playoffs. His post season numbers are pretty good. His last two runs with Washington were solid (0.58 PPG and 0.62 PPG)

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Johansson seems like just a body. From what I remember of him as a player he seems a lot like coyle in terms of strengths and weaknesses. Not sure they needed to give up a 2nd fornthat

Reactions: KrejciMVP

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
He moves the needle because the Bruins now have depth in the lineup. Instead of having 1 scoring line, they have 3. It was a need. Did I want a legitimate upgrade like a Stone? Yes, but it didn't happen. He can make an impact in the playoffs. His post season numbers are pretty good. His last two runs with Washington were solid (0.58 PPG and 0.62 PPG)
I'm not familiar with him. In fact, I'd never noticed him until Marchand laid him out. I'm hoping for the best, but I wanted Simmonds.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
That's a lot to give up for 3rd liners, especially when one of them is a UFA.

For comparison's sake, Nyquist was traded for a 2nd and a 3rd. He's on pace for 64 points and went to college in New England.

Its a lot if you believe that Donato is gonna be a 25+ goal scorer in this league. I don't think he will be. Time will tell.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I'll bet Donato outscores both our acquisitions down the stretch. Maybe even both combined
What's your bet?

I think Donato has potential, and might suck to have lost him when he develops. I liked Donato, but Coyle isn't a UFA and he's on the right side of 30.

Coyle isn't a rental, so I am happier with these moves this year than Sweeney's moves last year.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Predeadline

Donato is soft as puppy poo....bad attitude....doesn't want to work hard....prima donna....trade him
Post deadline - OMG why did they trade this guy

Predeadline

Simmons - do not want ! old slow can't play 5 on 5 hope he goes somewhere else
Post deadline - that's all he went for? we should have beat that

Predeadline

Nordstrom JFK/Frederick Backes

Post deadline

Johansson Coyle Cehlarik (Backes) when Pasta is back...

hmmmm which is better

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Pointless to put a grade on things until everything shakes out. Regardless, the team has more talent today than it did a week ago. Will it be enough? Doubt it, but time will tell. Time to get fully behind this group and root them on. Go Bs!!!!!!

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
We're a better and deeper roster than we were last week. I feel a lot better about having the third line on the ice in April with Coyle and Mojo. We gave up Donato, who may have a decent future but is pretty one-dimensional and a handful of picks. Kept the first rounder and didn't lose any other prospects.

I would've loved Stone or a legit top 6er, but as it is, I'd give Sweeney a B.

Reactions: LouisSleigher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad