Grade the blockbuster trade

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
This is about where I am on it. In the breakdown, Dallas didn't pay as much for Seguin as Sabres did for Kane. Bogosian and Kane are guys that have been talked about in trade rumors for longer than Myers. Clearly, the Jets had to deal Kane, which is traditionally a position of weakness, and that doesn't even take the off-ice stuff into account. Not to mention his biggest weakness is hockey sense.

Myers, everyone complained about him being "no more than a #3 on a good team with the potential to be a #1." Well the Sabres just flipped him for an oft-injured #3 on a mediocre team with not much potential to be a #1.

Myers "not actively being shopped, only moved for an overpayment," and Evander Kane who has devalued himself. And it's Buffalo that peels 3 guys off their wing pipeline and adds a #1 in this draft?

I was worried about TM is trades after the Kings deal, and more so after getting boned by Washington (Halak and 3rd for a guy that can't beat out Enroth). He's like a trust-fund baby who's going nuts spending Darcy's inheritance and I don't know if he's going to have anything to show for it.

Pretty much. I wouldn't mind him occasionally overpaying for a player he really likes, but you can't lose value in literally every trade that you make. It's going to nuke the rebuild if he keeps doing business like that (unless it turns out he's better at talent evaluation than every other GM in the league, which I doubt he is).

ZeroPT*

This. This team is about to become worst of all time.

How many wins in the last thirty games? Five? While Myers is going to make Winnipeg actually dangerous in the west.
Remember what happened last time when you went full hyperbole?

Remember when people said to wait before judging anything? Remember?

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
No matter how you slice it there's a reason Winnipeg wanted away from Kane and it's not because they think he's not a good player. Buffalo didn't trade Pat Lafontaine because they didn't like his play. They traded him because they knew he was a concussion away from being a potato. Whether it be injury, attitude, or other reasons Winnipeg wanted rid of Kane. In turn I think Buffalo gave up the best player to get there headache. I hope I'm wrong but when you see Bogo on a bad team and Myers on a good team, people are going to crap themselves at what Buffalo gave up

Last edited:

SabreOil

Jul 23, 2013
This. This team is about to become worst of all time.

How many wins in the last thirty games? Five? While Myers is going to make Winnipeg actually dangerous in the west.

Sooo you don't want McEichel? And I think your underrating Kane and Bogosian. This is going to be a very physical skilled team for years to come.

ZeroPT*

We downgraded from Myers to Bogo, fair enough.

The Kane deal, that's a steal. His scoring numbers are among the elite in the league (inb4 one 30 goal season) . people saying Murray will nuke the rebuild need to take a step backwards

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Remember what happened last time when you went full hyperbole?

Remember when people said to wait before judging anything? Remember?

I was wrong about how bad we were in December, but looking back, I was pretty right about Stewart being useless, neuvirth being useless, so my track record on trades is pretty decent.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Pretty much. I wouldn't mind him occasionally overpaying for a player he really likes, but you can't lose value in literally every trade that you make. It's going to nuke the rebuild if he keeps doing business like that (unless it turns out he's better at talent evaluation than every other GM in the league, which I doubt he is).
Yeah, we got ****ed in the Miller trade...

If part of your argument against this trade is "Drew Stafford might've got a 2nd round pick" stop it.

My biggest worries:
Switching up the talent mix on defense has a Roy to Edmonton effect.
Bogosian is significantly worse than Myers as a shelter for young defensemen.
Young assets who weren't available midseason get shaken loose, and we don't have the assets to be in on those trades.
The late first round is 2003-level-crazy.

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Imagining Reinhart or McEichel feeding Kane the puck for years to come is awesome. I do think we over paid a little bit, but thinking it over, I'm pretty cool with the trade overall.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

If part of your argument against this trade is "Drew Stafford might've got a 2nd round pick" stop it.

My biggest worries:
Young assets who weren't available midseason get shaken loose, and we don't have the assets to be in on those trades.

Do we still have anything valuable from the Miller trade?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Wow, I've come almost full circle. Murray's career is now arguably in Evander Kane's hands. If he comes in and mopes, Murray's signature move will have backfired. If he comes in with a fire in his belly, he could bring in a new era for the Sabres. He's arguably the best new talent that they've had since Vanek. I don't know. The loss of Myers and Armia hurt (I don't give a **** about Lemieux), but now I'm thinking about having a true stay-at-home dman and a franchise winger to go with our (hopefully) new franchise centerman.

Gotmilt*

Jun 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Yup. And he plays 60 minutes every 5 team games, on average. Most of the company he's in plays 60 minutes every 3.
think theres a reason he doesnt play 20 minutes a game? probably because he has no ability to play power play and is pretty much playing a third line checking role while playing on the pk for us.. good job Chevy, sorry to see Bogo go, think he could potentially be a top line d for you guys but i see more upside with tyler myers :handclap:

Karate Johnson*

This trade has zero effect on the rebuild.

We have Risto, Zads, Reinhart, Girgensons, McEichel, Kane and Bogosian.

Armia who cares. We can draft another Armia.

I liked Lemiuex, I liked his pedigree and attitude. But strip away his interviews and last name and he's a nice player... That's it.

I love LOVE trading for specific guys you want, and if you overpay a little(a Lemiuex) then so be it.

If Darcy had done this type of thing we would probably have a cup.

leo2892

Jan 25, 2007

My biggest worries:
Fair concerns, but...

I would argue that Bogosian is much more reliable than Myers defensively, and has a physical edge that Myers lacks. I think he's the perfect partner for guys like McCabe and Zadorov on the left side.

I can't think of young assets better than Kane/Bogosian that are going to be available for a cheaper price around the trade deadline.

Also, a lot of draft analysts think the drop-off in quality talent for this draft is going to be around the 15-20 mark. I wouldn't hold my breath on a blue-chipper being drafted in the upper 20s.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I love that everyone acts like we made such a sacrifice.

Bogosian is pretty good. Not Myers good maybe, but we have two other studs to offset that as well as Pysyk and McCabe. We're in pretty good shape still on the backend.. Maybe there is a need to draft a dman in the 2nd or 3rd round now. Who really cares.

Stafford I don't care about giving up. We could have only hoped that Armia could sniff Kane's talent level, and Lemieux I don't care about as much as others.

These are minor pieces to give up to me.

Swapping Myers for Bogo doesn't hurt my feelings.

I don't buy that giving up a couple middling, overrated prospects and Myers sets is back.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Also, a lot of draft analysts think the drop-off in quality talent for this draft is going to be around the 15-20 mark. I wouldn't hold my breath on a blue-chipper being drafted in the upper 20s.

I don't think it's a drop-off in "quality talent," it's a dropoff in "elite talent." There will be "quality talent" i.e. 1st round-type talent for the top 50-60 prospects by all accounts.

BakedBuffalo

**** run 4 Chychrun
Oct 29, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Lemieux is a dime a dozen imo. Other than his last name, he is a decent prospect. We still have two 1st's and two 2nd's, we could get another guy of his caliber quite easily, (especially because this draft is superior in depth to 2014, the top 60 is LOADED)

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Buffalo didn't trade Pat Lafontaine because they didn't like his play. They traded him because they knew he was a concussion away from being a potato.

Thanks for the :laugh:... second biggest of the day besides Drew Stafford saying he was going to show up at the first meeting in a track suit.

Lemieux is a dime a dozen imo. Other than his last name, he is a decent prospect. We still have two 1st's and two 2nd's, we could get another guy of his caliber quite easily, (especially because this draft is superior in depth to 2014, the top 60 is LOADED)

This confuses me as a justification... TM not only gave up BL, but one of the picks you'd use to replace him.

Karate Johnson*

we traded a player you hated, a pending UFA, and a couple 2nd tier prospects/picks

what are you upset about?

La Costra is the most confusing thing about this trade.

I read one post about how terrible Myers is, and the next about how bad the trade is.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Yeah, the whole Lemieux and Armia thing really doesn't bother me to much. Would of liked to keep them but who knows. It's losing Myers that stings. I just think on a team with good puck control and a balanced defense, he's going to show what he really can do

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
No matter how you slice it there's a reason Winnipeg wanted away from Kane and it's not because they think he's not a good player. Buffalo didn't trade Pat Lafontaine because they didn't like his play. They traded him because they knew he was a concussion away from being a potato. Whether it be injury, attitude, or other reasons Winnipeg wanted rid of Kane. In turn I think Buffalo gave up the best player to get there headache. I hope I'm wrong but when you see Bogo on a bad team and Myers on a good team, people are going to crap themselves at what Buffalo gave up
There's a reason Boston traded Seguin too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad