Grade the blockbuster trade

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Possible, but Winnipeg's blue line is stacked. If Myers player his way into the #1 guy there, ristolainen is quite ahead of his time to be better.

I think our blueline is on course to be stacked as well. And in today's game you need at least 3, if not 4.

So using "middle pair" as some sort of negative is silly to me.

Hjalmarsson = middle pair
Staal = middle pair
Jaybo = middle pair
Fowler = middle pair

It's a dumb term

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't want to start a new thread... so I'll put it here.

I haven't seen much discussion in regards to the all too common, "who does the player remind you of / compare him to someone"

Who do you think E.Kane is reminiscent of, who does his skill / style compare to, who do you project or hope he becomes?

Same for Bogosian...

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I think our blueline is on course to be stacked as well. And in today's game you need at least 3, if not 4.

So using "middle pair" as some sort of negative is silly to me.

Hjalmarsson = middle pair
Staal = middle pair
Jaybo = middle pair
Fowler = middle pair

It's a dumb term

It could really cut either way. Bogo could be out 1D here because ristolainen and zadorov have sophomore slumps, while Myers could be behind trouba because they just have too many great RHD. I don't know how to specifically lay out all the possibilities, and I don't know that there's a better alternative shorthand for these 1D, middle pair etc.

I get that it's not ideal, I'm just not sure what the better option is.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY

I haven't seen much discussion in regards to the all too common, "who does the player remind you of / compare him to someone"

Who do you think E.Kane is reminiscent of, who does his skill / style compare to, who do you project or hope he becomes?

Same for Bogosian...
Kane is a less skilled Nash/Hall.

If Bogosian is good he's Seabrook, if he's bad he's Wisniewski/Jack Johnson.

Karate Johnson*

I thought the goal was to win games.

Who cares what role guys are in? If they are first line or second line or first pair or second pair.

None of that matters.

This trade being a success or a failure relies solely on the team inproving.

If Evander Kane score 38 points on a shutdown line with Girgensons 3 years from now when we Go deep in the playoffs who cares if Myers is on The Jets top pair

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I thought the goal was to win games.

Who cares what role guys are in? If they are first line or second line or first pair or second pair.

None of that matters.

This trade being a success or a failure relies solely on the team inproving.

If Evander Kane score 38 points on a shutdown line with Girgensons 3 years from now when we Go deep in the playoffs who cares if Myers is on The Jets top pair

Then every move a good team makes is good and every move a bad team makes is bad.

Karate Johnson*

Then every move a good team makes is good and every move a bad team makes is bad.

It depends on the motivation of the organization.

The Sabres can make good moves with the intention of being bad.

This has been the first move we've made in a few years with the intention of getting better now. (Next year)

You're telling me that if Bogosian and Kane are a second pair D and a "3rd line" shutdown winger on a team that wins the cup, while Myers wins the Norris in Winnipeg, that it was a bad trade?

The sum of the parts is what matters.

Karate Johnson*

Haseoke, you were all about Kane 6 month ago, if those posts are to be believed.

You now dislike him because he wore a sweatsuit?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Haseoke, you were all about Kane 6 month ago, if those posts are to be believed.

You now dislike him because he wore a sweatsuit?

No, I think the context matters. I wouldnt have been all about kane at the price we paid. Two days before the trade i also said I hope we get him, but at a Price like Stafford, a first, maybe another b prospect.

I think armia is not a b prospect. I think he'll be in the NHL next year, and wouldn't be surprised to see him top 6 sooner than later.

I'm happy we have kane in the abstract. I'm super not happy we put Myers in this deal.

ZeroPT*

It really depends. It's probably a bit Of homer me but maybe Bogosian with an expanded Role and hometown team can give him the kick in the ass that Makes him who he was when drafted which would be exciting.

I agree with the Kane to Nash comp

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
I get the impression that Murray approached this from the perspective of seeing two players he wanted on our team going forward, and that, while getting fair value is important, he was willing to give up what he had to in order to make it happen. Darcy is all about winning trades. I think Tim views it as having assets that he is willing to spend to build the team he wants.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I'm fine with it. All the hooplah over what has happened is out of our control. My mindset is that it stinks in some aspects, but there's a need for change. I believe in Tim Murray. Good luck to Myers, Stafford, Armia and Lemieux. Evander Kane is an exciting player and someone who plays both sides of the ice well. It is time to move on from the bitterness and embrace what is. Whoever won this deal will depend on the futures of Armia and Lemieux likely. But, I'm looking forward to watching Bogosian when he debuts likely on Sunday.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

I don't like either of the Kane comparisons, here's why.

Kane is much, much more aggressive/physical than Nash. And Kane's skating blows Nash away.

Kane is much, much more of a 2 way player than Hall.

While I agree that Kane is less offensively skilled than those guys, he's also more complete than Hall, and more dynamic than Nash.

My favorite thing about this trade is how unique Kane is. To be that powerful and that fast, too be that aggressive and that skilled. He definitely has a very impressive tool box. He's not a playmaker, but he's a 2 way power scorer with speed... and that's.... really rare.

Max Pacioretty?

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Nash was for defense/all around play, Hall was for reckless abandon. I probably should have mentioned something about Kane being more physical than either, but that's the case for pretty much every skill forward brought up as a comparable. Pac has the same issues as those two, he uses his size for leverage rather than punishment.

I straight up can't think of another player with the speed / skill / recklessness / physicality combination Kane has.

After giving it more thought, I think I'm happiest with "Jamie Benn who still has to prove he has Benn's ceiling," and even then...

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Same for Bogosian...

i'm not sure there is a good comparison to Kane. He's a very unique player. Speed, size, strength, shot and defense. Always gives it his all on the ice. Maybe Modano???

As far as Bogo goes.........to me, he's Doughty if Doughty was a tweener 2/3 guy and not a super star. Does most everything DD does, but not at the level he does.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
I don't like either of the Kane comparisons, here's why.

Kane is much, much more aggressive/physical than Nash. And Kane's skating blows Nash away.

Kane is much, much more of a 2 way player than Hall.

While I agree that Kane is less offensively skilled than those guys, he's also more complete than Hall, and more dynamic than Nash.

My favorite thing about this trade is how unique Kane is. To be that powerful and that fast, too be that aggressive and that skilled. He definitely has a very impressive tool box. He's not a playmaker, but he's a 2 way power scorer with speed... and that's.... really rare.

Max Pacioretty?

Faster John LeClair? More skilled Bill Guerin (Edmonton days)?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Kane's kind of tough to give a player comparison to, really. You don't normally see power forwards with his level of speed. I think the closest I could think of would be Iginla. Less skilled but faster.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Kane's kind of tough to give a player comparison to, really. You don't normally see power forwards with his level of speed. I think the closest I could think of would be Iginla. Less skilled but faster.

yea, that's why i went with Max Pac. it's really tough to find the power, tenacity, speed combo in a goal scoring winger.

I also like Max Pac as a comparison because he's not viewed as a superstar / hall of fame guy. It brings context to looking forward to EKane without expecting him to be Rick Nash or Jerome Iginla. Kane can be a huge part of this team, without having to be a 40 goal / 80 pt super star.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
yea, that's why i went with Max Pac. it's really tough to find the power, tenacity, speed combo in a goal scoring winger.

I also like Max Pac as a comparison because he's not viewed as a superstar / hall of fame guy. It brings context to looking forward to EKane without expecting him to be Rick Nash or Jerome Iginla. Kane can be a huge part of this team, without having to be a 40 goal / 80 pt super star.

I'd be ecstatic if he plays like Max Pac. 33 goals in '12, 15 goals in the lockout season, 39 goals last year, and on pace for more than 35 goals this year, with a big body and good physical game. It's possible, but he hasn't performed like Max yet.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Patches is a good comparison in terms of what to expect out of Kane. I only said Iginla because I think Kane's game resembles him the most. He'll never put up Iginla numbers, but he plays the game the same way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad