Grade the blockbuster trade

ZeroPT*

We're going to be better next year. That's for sure.
You hope Armia becomes as productive as Kane. No problem with that part. Id love to have gotten Burmi but meh

The confusing part for me is Myers for Bogosian. Oh and anyone saying they want Darcy back are completely and utterly clueless

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Love, love, LOVE this trade.

When McEichel and Reinhart are getting targeted by the other team, who do you want on the ice - Armia and Myers, or Kane and Bogosian?

Murray isn't trying to maximize value, people - he's building a championship team. Isn't this what we wanted out of our GM, and why we disliked Darcy? I don't see what Armia and Lemieux bring to the table that Compher, Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste, and Larsson don't.

A late first, Armia, and Lemieux aren't going to make or break this team. Kane and Bogosian are difference makers and are going to make this team tougher to play against. Period. Securing McEichel is just icing on the cake.

Bravo, GMTM.

This is literally the first argument that I've heard that doesn't make me feel worse about this trade. I'm not where you are yet, but thank you for steering me towards optimism. I appreciate it.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
It's going to sting for a bit.

If Kane can start potting 30 regularly and be a force to drive offense and puck posession, might hurt a lot less.

Swapping Myers for Bogosian hurts for now, but I want to see Bogo play first.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
the 1st - I think its only a matter of time before Murray moves that other 1st as well, he wants talent, and is willing to buy it - overall; whatever its a pick

Lemieux - prospect whose still probably 2-3 years from the NHL, a guy Murray was willing to trade at the draft last year and couldn't find any takers for the pick - overall; meh for a guy that a month ago was overwhelmingly considered a third liner swapping him from Kane doesn't bother me in the least... however

Armia - at his ceiling, I think he's Evander Kane, but Kane is already Evander Kane and Armia is also probably 2 years from his peak - overall; if it was just Armia, fine, you give up a prospect, but him and Lemieux, woulda been nice to keep a little bit more in the chamber

Stafford - UFA, was gone anyway, don't really care about getting another 2nd whose years away from the NHL - overall; fine

Myers - uggg, condor goes bye-bye, after watching him blow the doors off in his rookie year, then slip into ****sville, then move back up to be a decent top pairing defender is pretty hard on the stomach - overall; hurts to lose the big guy, I didn't expect him to become a 40pnt player, maybe a 25 pnt guy on the top line who we scratch our heads over every now and then, but who he is someone I wanted

Bogo - I'll go back to something Jame said when discussing Myers and Sekera, I'm looking for someone who can play shutdown minutes and drive some possession, well you got all those aspects of Myers back in Bogosian but lost the rush aspect - overall; swapping Myers/Bogo doesn't change the long term plan, Risto eventually takes over the #1 role, makes us worse in the short term

Kane - big, 2-way, penalty killing, top 6 forward, with a 30 goal season, and despite the complaints about him being 'demoted' to the third line he's averaging 19mins a night and almost 20mins over his last 5 game - overall; I've often pondered who Reinhart is going to be setting up for the next decade, we now have one of the most prolific shooters in the NHL, who also is probably pretty pissed off at his now former team, lets hope he channels that into his on ice performance

Goalie - hes a goalie, organizational depth if Lieuwen's career is over?

Murray gets 2 players he's wanted since their draft years, and Myers was the best Sabres sent back, Myers was in my 'core' list, but he was probably the last 1 on that list, now Kane is in his place - overall; meh, expensive deal, chance to make either/both/neither GM look bad, will miss Armia, looks like we got ourselves a hockey trade folks

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Love, love, LOVE this trade.

When McEichel and Reinhart are getting targeted by the other team, who do you want on the ice - Armia and Myers, or Kane and Bogosian?

Murray isn't trying to maximize value, people - he's building a championship team. Isn't this what we wanted out of our GM, and why we disliked Darcy? I don't see what Armia and Lemieux bring to the table that Compher, Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste, and Larsson don't.

A late first, Armia, and Lemieux aren't going to make or break this team. Kane and Bogosian are difference makers and are going to make this team tougher to play against. Period.

I just want to see what Bogosian looks like on a top pairing line with Gorges before I feel a warm inside

leo2892

Jan 25, 2007
i say armia and Myers to that first question.

So when a cheapshot artist is playing against Reinhart, you want Armia and Myers to be on the ice rather than Kane and Bogosian?

Give me a break. The forum is too caught up on the value-focused Darcy mentality, and isn't looking at the bigger picture.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
This is literally the first argument that I've heard that doesn't make me feel worse about this trade. I'm not where you are yet, but thank you for steering me towards optimism. I appreciate it.

Yep. I get it. He knows the organization has an abundance of assets and is using it to get exactly what he wants instead of trying to wait out the best deals.

Fair point.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I voted sorta positive. I don't care about the value we gave up for Kane. He's an elite offensive talent, and we have tons of prospects already, so it doesn't matter if we lost that part of the deal in terms of value.

The part I'm not sure about is Bogosian for Myers. I really like Myers and I think he'll be a beast on a good team (heck, he was already a beast on our bad team). I don't know that much about Bogosian other than that he was a high pick and I haven't heard that much about him since then.

Also the fact that the swap is good for the tank doesn't hurt. Kane-Reinhart or Kane-McDavid or Kane-Eichel is going to be fun to watch.

Karate Johnson*

Winnipeg is going to be winning this trade for a decade.

What Winnipeg does is irrelevant

Winning trades was Darcy's thing. On this site that is super valuable.

In the really real world winning cups is important.

This trade helps that immensely.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
What Winnipeg does is irrelevant

Winning trades was Darcy's thing. On this site that is super valuable.

In the really real world winning cups is important.

This trade helps that immensely.
For Winnipeg.

Seriously, everything we said about not becoming Edmonton in terms of deep defense and not building around prima donna wingers just turned on its head.

Karate Johnson*

For Winnipeg.

Haha. Ok.

Winning trades is such a dumb concept.

It's not a silly thread on HF, it's not NHL15....

You "win" a trade when the team the trade helped build succeeds.

I remember now why I always leave this site.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
For Winnipeg.

Seriously, everything we said about not becoming Edmonton in terms of deep defense and not building around prima donna wingers just turned on its head.

we still arent building around wingers and we got a top 4 D back in the deal

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Haha. Ok.

Winning trades is such a dumb concept.

It's not a silly thread on HF, it's not NHL15....

You "win" a trade when the team the trade helped build succeeds.

I remember now why I always leave this site.

Watch what happens to this team without Myers. Watch.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
I get all the positive reaction to this, but in my mind:

Myers > Bogosian. Bogo is Peg's #3 right now, and he's going to jump in and be Buffalo's #1?

Armia (former 1st), 1st, Lemieux (Former 2nd), and Stafford (worth a 2 in a trade) = 2 1sts, 2 2nds is way too much for a guy that has scored 30 once, and never 20 again in 6 years in the league.

Crazy bad value, even if Buffalo ends up with the best player in the deal in Kane, which I'm not sure about. This is like the Kings trade last year. I like the players, but not as much as I hate the cost.

Terrible trade. I can't help but wonder if this will be known as the trade that launched Winnipeg into perennial contender.

This is about where I am on it. In the breakdown, Dallas didn't pay as much for Seguin as Sabres did for Kane. Bogosian and Kane are guys that have been talked about in trade rumors for longer than Myers. Clearly, the Jets had to deal Kane, which is traditionally a position of weakness. Not to mention his biggest weaknesses are hockey sense and common sense.

Myers, everyone complained about him being "no more than a #3 on a good team with the potential to be a #1." Well the Sabres just flipped him for an oft-injured #3 on a mediocre team with no potential to be a #1.

Myers "not actively being shopped, only moved for an overpayment," and Evander Kane who has devalued himself. And it's Buffalo that peels 3 guys off their already-thin wing pipeline and adds a #1 in this draft?

I was worried about TM is trades after the Kings deal, and more so after getting boned by Washington (Halak and 3rd for a guy that can't beat out Enroth). He's like a trust-fund baby who's going nuts spending Darcy's inheritance and I don't know if he's going to have anything to show for it.

Last edited:

leo2892

Jan 25, 2007
For Winnipeg.

Holy over-reaction batman.

1. Where did we lose depth on defense?
2. We lost a late first rounder, a soft winger, and a prospect that's interchangeable with Fasching, Compher, Bailey, Baptiste, and Larsson. The sky isn't falling.

If you ask the NHL "who would you rather play against, Myers or Bogosian?", the vast majority of players are going to say Bogosian.

Who's going to have a bigger impact on the Sabres - three prospects who are getting lost in the Sabres' depth chart, or Kane/Bogosian? Darcy consistently "won" his trades but his teams still sucked.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I was worried about TM is trades after the Kings deal, and more so after getting boned by Washington (Halak and 3rd for a guy that can't beat out Enroth). He's like a trust-fund baby who's going nuts spending Darcy's inheritance.

This. This team is about to become worst of all time.

How many wins in the last thirty games? Five? While Myers is going to make Winnipeg actually dangerous in the west.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Now Brendan is the interesting part. Murray said he was trying to deal all three seconds to move up last draft. Honestly, I don't think Murray was a huge fan of lemiuex. I really Sony. He felt like a hesitant pick at the time it was made.

If he'd drafted Barbashev, trade would have been Kane & Bogo for Stafford and Barbashev :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad