Google Stadia

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I don't understand all the negative views on this...

Are some just upset that there will be more competition for their favorite console ?

I've pre-ordered (2nd available day) and am very excited for this release.

Also, how do people not understand the reason for this system ?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I don't understand all the negative views on this...

Are some just upset that there will be more competition for their favorite console ?

I've pre-ordered (2nd available day) and am very excited for this release.

Also, how do people not understand the reason for this system ?

Well, why don't you go ahead and explain?

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Well, why don't you go ahead and explain?
  1. Play console games without having to invest in the console.
  2. Play the games anywhere on any screen (limited at launch).
  3. The "console" at google data centers will be upgraded as games are upgraded (avoiding future upgraded consoles you would need to buy).
  4. 4K gaming
  5. No game downloads, ready to play instantly.
  6. Cross Platform Gaming (when developers allow it)
  7. State Share
This is just the things it does, that current gen consoles don't.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
  1. Play console games without having to invest in the console.
  2. Play the games anywhere on any screen (limited at launch).
  3. The "console" at google data centers will be upgraded as games are upgraded (avoiding future upgraded consoles you would need to buy).
  4. 4K gaming
  5. No game downloads, ready to play instantly.
  6. Cross Platform Gaming (when developers allow it)
  7. State Share

The unavoidable lag makes it an easy pass for most people.

I can see certain types of games that could work well on it, mainly turn-based games. But most types of games like first person shooters would be annoying to play on this service.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
The unavoidable lag makes it an easy pass for most people.

I can see certain types of games that could work well on it, mainly turn-based games. But most types of games like first person shooters would be annoying to play on this service.

Your basing this on your opinion.

Stadia has been tested by many critics and all have been surprised on how smooth it runs and how good it works.

Your point is valid, but how can you know its going to lag before you have even tried it ?

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Your basing this on your opinion.

Stadia has been tested by many critics and all have been surprised on how smooth it runs and how good it works.

Your point is valid, but how can you know its going to lag before you have even tried it ?

There are impressions posted in this thread, they were from around March but they all reported noticeable lag. It comes out in a couple weeks so we'll find out how it plays for most users soon enough.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
  1. Play console games without having to invest in the console. - There is still a cost. While it is less than other systems, you are getting significantly less performance.
  2. Play the games anywhere on any screen (limited at launch). - I don't see what niche this is trying to fill. I can take my laptop/tablet anywhere and play.
  3. The "console" at google data centers will be upgraded as games are upgraded (avoiding future upgraded consoles you would need to buy) - Consider me a skeptic on this.
  4. 4K gaming - That is going to be available with Sony/Xbox as well.
  5. No game downloads, ready to play instantly. - Yeah but at what cost? Input lag that will render some games unplayable?
  6. Cross Platform Gaming (when developers allow it) - That is already becoming more and more normal as we just saw with Modern Warfare.
  7. State Share - Have to be honest I don't know what this is.

Also, Warden's post from last page did a good job of summing up some concerns. Every feature is going to come at a cost eventually. What happens when they further want to monetize and they move away from a per month cost to a per hour of access cost? Want to remove advertisements? Another $5 per month. Want better performance? Another $5 per month.

I hate the idea of subscription based gaming because just like many other subscription based services, upgrades come at a cost.

I don't think the Stadia model is good for the future of gaming.
Oh God, I was listening to a podcast discuss this and they brought up something I hadnt thought of: This thing is going to be absolutely PACKED with ads.

Imagine you're playing Assasins Creed. All of a sudden a pop up ad for Far Cry is going to come up. Maybe when you access a menu, maybe during load times.

Then youre going to have the inevitable "Pay $20 to remove ads" ad.

They also speculate ot could be like "Pay $5 dollars for 5 hours of play time with X game"

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Also, Warden's post from last page did a good job of summing up some concerns. Every feature is going to come at a cost eventually. What happens when they further want to monetize and they move away from a per month cost to a per hour of access cost? Want to remove advertisements? Another $5 per month. Want better performance? Another $5 per month.

I hate the idea of subscription based gaming because just like many other subscription based services, upgrades come at a cost.

This is literally all just speculation. Why hasn't Xbox and Sony done the same thing for ads etc.

• Play console games without having to invest in the console. - There is still a cost. While it is less than other systems, you are getting significantly less performance.
You only get charged per month if you want Stadia Pro (Basic literally costs nothing, and you can bring your own controller). You should really look into these things if you want to argue against the system.

Xbox Live and Playstation Plus force you to pay a monthly fee to play online, Stadia does not, unless you want to pay for Pro.

You literally get more performance.

• Play the games anywhere on any screen (limited at launch). - I don't see what niche this is trying to fill. I can take my laptop/tablet anywhere and play.
If you have a $2500 gaming laptop that is true, if you play on PS, Xbox, or Desktop it is not as easy.

• The "console" at google data centers will be upgraded as games are upgraded (avoiding future upgraded consoles you would need to buy) - Consider me a skeptic on this.
Your own opinion (I can accept that).

• 4K gaming - That is going to be available with Sony/Xbox as well.
Whenever the systems come (not sure when), but before they go to 8k or whatever is next, Stadia will already be there.

• No game downloads, ready to play instantly. - Yeah but at what cost? Input lag that will render some games unplayable?

• Cross Platform Gaming (when developers allow it) - That is already becoming more and more normal as we just saw with Modern Warfare.
Yes, correct.

• State Share - Have to be honest I don't know what this is.
Look it up, seems pretty cool.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
In theory, it's pretty cool yes.

I'm just skeptical about the practicality, particularly when it comes to latency (if PSNow is any indication, this is a problem for anything action heavy).

They've talked about predictive inputs, which just seems....like a bad idea.

I'm very curious to see how it turns out, though! I'll be paying close attention.

Obviously it doesn't fit all situations (offline play, being a big example) but it could be a convenient and cost effective way to play games.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I think that's where the disconnect is for me. I don't see it as some big disruption that's going to displace the current PC/console market, but rather just supplementary product. Companies like Google, Amazon, and Microsoft have these massive data centers that can run these models making it a natural fit, but other platforms like Nintendo, Sony, and Valve do not.

I really think you need to take that into account here, Stadia is built off of the enormous data infrastructure that Google already has for it's regular business. I could be wrong but I don't think it's not going to be a feasible business model for Sony or Nintendo to build up their data center capabilities to offer this type of product. Microsoft could do it but they already have Xbox and the PC market, so really I only see this as a Google/Amazon thing. And you can talk about all sorts of slippery slope BS Google can pull off but if they don't put out a good consumer friendly product no one's going to buy it.

Personally, I'm fine for the moment as I finally built a new PC last year but prior to that I had been running on a 2 core AMD CPU, 4 GB RAM, and probably 512MB video card since 2009. I could mostly get along okay but starting around 2015/The Witcher 3 minimum specs started exceeding my PC, and personal favourites like Civ V I had always been limited from playing larger maps. Considering my eventual upgrade cost about $1200 I would have been happy to drop an extra $10 for a few months here and there to play a few select games.

So I have zero use for Stadia now but I could see maybe 5 years down the road Civ VII drops and my PC struggles to run it, I may look to Stadia to purchase it. My biggest concern with the product though is exactly what type of library they're going to have and what kind of Steam-like sales they're going to run. They may just be focusing on a few big budget games like Assassin's Creed and may not want to carry slightly more niche strategy titles like Civilization that also happen to be CPU/RAM hogs. Oh, and I guess you also can't forget about mods here, that's just a staple of some PC games and not sure how/if they can handle that.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I'm just skeptical about the practicality, particularly when it comes to latency (if PSNow is any indication, this is a problem for anything action heavy).

I'm very curious to see how it turns out, though! I'll be paying close attention.

Obviously it doesn't fit all situations (offline play, being a big example) but it could be a convenient and cost effective way to play games.

Actually I think that's something these data centers would be good at, as it would likely be just some extra number crunching inbetween the input lag. Console shooters already have auto-aim, so I'd see this less about "predicting" and more a low latency auto-aim. Though auto-aim wouldn't be a good term for it anymore as you're probably only talking about a few pixels here.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Actually I think that's something these data centers would be good at, as it would likely be just some extra number crunching inbetween the input lag. Console shooters already have auto-aim, so I'd see this less about "predicting" and more a low latency auto-aim. Though auto-aim wouldn't be a good term for it anymore as you're probably only talking about a few pixels here.

I figured this would be more like it simulating the most likely inputs the user could provide and having the frames ready for all of them so that once the players input is entered they don't have to wait for a response from googles server.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
This is literally all just speculation. Why hasn't Xbox and Sony done the same thing for ads etc.

• Play console games without having to invest in the console. - There is still a cost. While it is less than other systems, you are getting significantly less performance.
You only get charged per month if you want Stadia Pro (Basic literally costs nothing, and you can bring your own controller). You should really look into these things if you want to argue against the system.

Xbox Live and Playstation Plus force you to pay a monthly fee to play online, Stadia does not, unless you want to pay for Pro.

You literally get more performance.

• Play the games anywhere on any screen (limited at launch). - I don't see what niche this is trying to fill. I can take my laptop/tablet anywhere and play.
If you have a $2500 gaming laptop that is true, if you play on PS, Xbox, or Desktop it is not as easy.

• The "console" at google data centers will be upgraded as games are upgraded (avoiding future upgraded consoles you would need to buy) - Consider me a skeptic on this.

• 4K gaming - That is going to be available with Sony/Xbox as well.
Whenever the systems come (not sure when), but before they go to 8k or whatever is next, Stadia will already be there.

• No game downloads, ready to play instantly. - Yeah but at what cost? Input lag that will render some games unplayable?

• Cross Platform Gaming (when developers allow it) - That is already becoming more and more normal as we just saw with Modern Warfare.
Yes, correct.

• State Share - Have to be honest I don't know what this is.
Look it up, seems pretty cool.

This right here is where our disconnect starts. Basic is "free" in theory. But in reality, nothing is free. There will be a catch to basic, whether it be reduced service speeds, being bombarded with advertisements, etc. It isn't that I haven't looked into it, it is that I know better than to believe there will be a "free" option.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
This right here is where our disconnect starts. Basic is "free" in theory. But in reality, nothing is free. There will be a catch to basic, whether it be reduced service speeds, being bombarded with advertisements, etc. It isn't that I haven't looked into it, it is that I know better than to believe there will be a "free" option.

Alright, well if you refuse to use facts I can't help you.

You might be right about advertising etc, but there is nothing to prove that is their model.

You just sound like a Xbox or Playstation fanboy when your bashing Stadia without any facts.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Alright, well if you refuse to use facts I can't help you.

You might be right about advertising etc, but there is nothing to prove that is their model.

You just sound like a Xbox or Playstation fanboy when your bashing Stadia without any facts.

I think your definition of fact may be a bit misguided. Many of your "facts" are far from factual.

I will be extremely interested to come back to this thread once this product is released.

Reactions: Warden of the North

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I am interested but I am concerned about the input lag, latency and overall performance in my area.

Do they have a try it and if you don't like it you can return it policy?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
What is not factual ?

For example, this. What I inferred from your post was that Stadia will be at 8k before the next gen consoles. That is impossible to know.

And to be honest, I really couldn't care less if Stadia does beat the consoles to 8k or not. I am of the belief that this model is bad for the future of gaming and I have a feeling we will know sooner than later if I was right or wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Warden of the North

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
For example, this. What I inferred from your post was that Stadia will be at 8k before the next gen consoles. That is impossible to know.

And to be honest, I really couldn't care less if Stadia does beat the consoles to 8k or not. I am of the belief that this model is bad for the future of gaming and I have a feeling we will know sooner than later if I was right or wrong.

It's a fact that a console would require hardware upgrades to increase power/performance.

That is not the case with Stadia, they have had interviews where they explain their "blades" (Googles name for the "consoles") will be able to be upgraded.

You are using your opinion to make Stadia look bad, I'm using the facts that have come out. Pretty simple.

When Stadia comes out and it has a noticeable lag, then you can bash it, but you are just making crap up at this point. This was also never an argument brought up in our entire discussion.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I am interested but I am concerned about the input lag, latency and overall performance in my area.

Do they have a try it and if you don't like it you can return it policy?

If you wait until 2020, for the basic Stadia to be released, you don't need a subscription, or even hardware to play.

Bring your own controller or keyboard and mouse.

You would need to purchase a game I think.

https://projectstream.google.com/speedtest

You can use this speed test too to see what type of experience you can get.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

The only reason it may work (Latency etc) is because no one does compression better then Google. They have made YouTube work extremely well without insane amount of bandwith. I completely agree, This is absolutely the key factor.

I've been keeping a very close eye on it (obviously because I pre-ordered) and many of the skeptics before they tried it have changed their minds on it. Apparently it runs very well. Time will tell.

The predictive inputs I'm not sure they implemented in anyway, I think that is more of an idea they are playing with (from the interviews I remember).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad