Google Stadia

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I really hope it does well because I love video games and something that makes games more accessible for more people is a great thing. I just think it’s going to be a nightmare for most people.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I really hope it does well because I love video games and something that makes games more accessible for more people is a great thing. I just think it’s going to be a nightmare for most people.

The bandwidth requirements alone make it inaccessible for the vast majority of people.

This concept is likely the future but its probably a decade too early at least

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't know... maybe its just me but, I still just don't see the point of it :dunno:

Let's say I have a 5 year old PC. A new must have game comes out like Cyberpunk or TES:VI, but I don't have a hope in hell of running it on my old machine and it will cost $500-$1000 to upgrade to something that can play it. From this perspective Stadia is a useful service, if the game is available I can buy it on there and just pay the $10 a month subscription to play it now. You could potentially save money even if you're paying your own hydro bill and can run a lower end PC vs a powerful gaming machine, letting Google cloud burn all those kilowatts.

Anyways, seeing the details now it's about what I expected. A 'Netflix of gaming' just isn't a feasible idea when games still cost $60+. You're not going to be able to provide the hardware for cloud gaming and pay off the game devs for a Netflix-comparable price. Just a wild guess but you're probably looking more at $60 a month for a service like that.

So the service seems fine to me, you just have to keep expectations in check.

Reactions: CPTN71

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Let's say I have a 5 year old PC. A new must have game comes out like Cyberpunk or TES:VI, but I don't have a hope in hell of running it on my old machine and it will cost $500-$1000 to upgrade to something that can play it. From this perspective Stadia is a useful service, if the game is available I can buy it on there and just pay the $10 a month subscription to play it now. You could potentially save money even if you're paying your own hydro bill and can run a lower end PC vs a powerful gaming machine, letting Google cloud burn all those kilowatts.

Anyways, seeing the details now it's about what I expected. A 'Netflix of gaming' just isn't a feasible idea when games still cost $60+. You're not going to be able to provide the hardware for cloud gaming and pay off the game devs for a Netflix-comparable price. Just a wild guess but you're probably looking more at $60 a month for a service like that.

So the service seems fine to me, you just have to keep expectations in check.
Gotttttcha.

Seems like a tough sell for most. But in the future, sure it could be legit.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Bumping this up since release is in a month or so. Anyone here preorder? I didnt but would be curious when it releases how well it works.

So far the reddit section is starting to get ansy since there really hasnt been anymore information released.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Bumping this up since release is in a month or so. Anyone here preorder? I didnt but would be curious when it releases how well it works.

So far the reddit section is starting to get ansy since there really hasnt been anymore information released.
Didn't they just release something about predictive button input, and this is how they will beat lag to run faster than game run locally. That to me just sounds absurd and why gamers just won't make the switch.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Didn't they just release something about predictive button input, and this is how they will beat lag to run faster than game run locally. That to me just sounds absurd and why gamers just won't make the switch.

Yes, they predict it will have less input lag than local devices.

Predictive button input sounds like a nightmare.

I see how streaming might be okay for slower paced games, like perhaps turn-based or slower management type games, but for anything that requires quick response like shooters or RTS or action games? It doesn't seem viable.

I'm not an early adopter, but I am very curious to see what will happen. A viable game streaming service could kill a(n expensive) hobby of mine (PC building), but it has its appeal as well.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yes, they predict it will have less input lag than local devices.

Predictive button input sounds like a nightmare.

I see how streaming might be okay for slower paced games, like perhaps turn-based or slower management type games, but for anything that requires quick response like shooters or RTS or action games? It doesn't seem viable.

I'm not an early adopter, but I am very curious to see what will happen. A viable game streaming service could kill a(n expensive) hobby of mine (PC building), but it has its appeal as well.
The other issue I have is since you don't own anything, what happens once there are competitors on the market and Google Stadia no longer has the games that you were playing. Most gamers tend to be dedicated to a select amount of games and play them for hundreds-thousands of hours, instead of casually playing a wide range of games for just a few hours. I'm skeptical until they prove themselves.

Reactions: Supermassive

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I really don't care about the Stadia for me (I have my gaming PC and a Switch) but I'm really looking forward to seeing how it does.

It isn't as exciting as say the Wii was, but it's been a while since we've had a console try something actually different.

Reactions: tealhockey

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The other issue I have is since you don't own anything, what happens once there are competitors on the market and Google Stadia no longer has the games that you were playing. Most gamers tend to be dedicated to a select amount of games and play them for hundreds-thousands of hours, instead of casually playing a wide range of games for just a few hours. I'm skeptical until they prove themselves.
I don't think most people play games for hundreds of hours.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Most people don't, most gamers do. I'm not sure Google Stadia is aimed at the average person though, it's targeting gamers.

That would be a tough number to pin down to see if it qualifies as 'most' or not. If you look at something like a current active player list the top is always going to be dominated by competitive multiplayer games like Fortnite or League of Legends, which yes people do spend hundreds to thousands of hours playing. But using Steam as an example while those players monopolize the top played spots these numbers are still only a fraction of the total Steam user base.

And I'm just going to refrain from commenting on the whole "people" and "gamers" thing.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That would be a tough number to pin down to see if it qualifies as 'most' or not. If you look at something like a current active player list the top is always going to be dominated by competitive multiplayer games like Fortnite or League of Legends, which yes people do spend hundreds to thousands of hours playing. But using Steam as an example while those players monopolize the top played spots these numbers are still only a fraction of the total Steam user base.

And I'm just going to refrain from commenting on the whole "people" and "gamers" thing.
I'm just categorizing gamers as the hardcore players that rack up the hours. That's what they are commonly referred to as.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I'm just categorizing gamers as the hardcore players that rack up the hours. That's what they are commonly referred to as.
The hours, the paid subscriptions, the in-game purchases. They’re the target market, absolutely. But they’re loyal to their platform of choice, which in my experience is PC or Xbox. I don’t think they’ll tolerate the flaws of cloud-gaming with Stadia. If anything, this’ll galvanize them to stick with what works.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
The hours, the paid subscriptions, the in-game purchases. They’re the target market, absolutely. But they’re loyal to their platform of choice, which in my experience is PC or Xbox. I don’t think they’ll tolerate the flaws of cloud-gaming with Stadia. If anything, this’ll galvanize them to stick with what works.

I expect you are correct.

I'm just waiting to see what happens if cloud gaming services start getting exclusives.

We've all seen the backlash to a vastly inferior platform buying exclusives (Epic Store)....now imagine an exclusive that requires a high speed internet connection with no data cap and (potentially) introduces input lag. I can see the fireworks now.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I expect you are correct.

I'm just waiting to see what happens if cloud gaming services start getting exclusives.

We've all seen the backlash to a vastly inferior platform buying exclusives (Epic Store)....now imagine an exclusive that requires a high speed internet connection with no data cap and (potentially) introduces input lag. I can see the fireworks now.

FWIW, there was talk on the reddit forum that Google has employed company( or multiple) to create exclusive Stadia games. Wish I had a link but I can't remember where I found it.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Seems too good to be true. I’ll seriously be able to stream RDR2 over my internet connection and play flawlessly? I’ll believe it when I see it.

Few things I’ve noticed...

-$130 initial cost + $10/month
-no Nintendo switch games

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
FWIW, there was talk on the reddit forum that Google has employed company( or multiple) to create exclusive Stadia games. Wish I had a link but I can't remember where I found it.

That will be bad enough when it comes to internet outrage. Just imagine if they employ the Epic model and buy games outright....

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
That will be bad enough when it comes to internet outrage. Just imagine if they employ the Epic model and buy games outright....

There's nothing stopping them from doing so but I'd think that would be a harder sell for developers and higher price tag for Google, as it's on an entirely different platform. The Epic Games Store isn't Steam but they both run on PC, it may be an inconvenience but someone who can play a game on Steam or GoG can also play it on EGS. The Stadia here though is less a store front and more its own console, so at the very least you'll have to see what kind of numbers they start pulling in before you can start talking about buying exclusivity from existing developers.

blue425

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
www.streetwars.net
Not to keep kicking an unreleased but already (potentially) dead console - I honestly haven't seen one person/media outlet/anyone really who seems at all excited about this thing.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad