Google Stadia

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Oh man, the comparison he made wasn't that hard to understand.

Stadia will likely be a games subscription service for games, game pass is a subscription service for games. Both can be thought of as the "Netflix for games' - see thread title.

In one service you download the games, in the other you stream them. One service currently works quite well, the other is highly question at this time.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Oh man, the comparison he made wasn't that hard to understand.

Stadia will likely be a games subscription service for games, game pass is a subscription service for games. Both can be thought of as the "Netflix for games' - see thread title.

In one service you download the games, in the other you stream them. One service currently works quite well, the other is highly question at this time.
Right, in one service you stream, one you don't.

Requiring completely different equiment to play your completely different sport. Both sports, but both played completley differently and are different sports.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Right, in one service you stream, one you don't.

Requiring completely different equiment to play your completely different sport. Both sports, but both played completley differently and are different sports.

That's exactly what he said:

Gamepass is very good but like mentioned you need the proper hardware. The idea of streaming is to play on low powered hardware like apple tv or smart TVs or laptops.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Your reading comprehension needs work. I have gamepass right now on my PC. I know it doesn't use streaming and I didn't imply it. Read closer, I'm literally responding to your post above mine in that first comment.

That's exactly what he said:

Alright guys, I guess we are all on the same level. I don't feel like I misread or deserved to be called names or told I need to work on my reading comprehension though.

Ahh well, forget it. Bad communication. I don't think any one of us explained our points well.

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Needs 25mbps speed to run 1080p according to something I read today
Yeah and I have 300MB internet and even HD netflix shows will still lose buffer here and there. I can't imagine the input lag this will have. Even if Lag spikes arent that often it can completely ruin a game for someone.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Alright guys, I guess we are all on the same level. I don't feel like I misread or deserved to be called names or told I need to work on my resding comprehension though.

Ahh well, forget it. Bad communication. I don't think any one of us explained out points well.

May be some confusion here because there's another thread where google is saying this will be a 'Netflix of games', which without further clarification from Google would imply a subscription for both the the content (like Gamepass) and the streaming (not Gamepass).

I'm curious to see more simply because I don't understand how you can accomplish both at the same time and get a quality service with a quality library. I'd think you either get a service like Steam where you buy your games but still have to pay a monthly fee for, which replaces the need for owning and maintaining your own hardware. Or it's a service that provides both the hardware and the games, but the games library is limited to FTP games like Fortnight, whichever games Google purchases the rights to use - like Assassins Creed, or whatever exclusive games they make themselves.

Reactions: HerpaDerp

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Yeah and I have 300MB internet and even HD netflix shows will still lose buffer here and there. I can't imagine the input lag this will have. Even if Lag spikes arent that often it can completely ruin a game for someone.
That speed should be more than enough. Are you hardwired by any chance? always go hardwired.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
thats a hot yikes from me
Digital Foundry did an input lag test on this and got the same numbers.

The caveat? Its the exact same input lag as on console, and only like 40 ms faster on pc. AC Oddyssey has the input lag basically built into the game, which is probably why google picked it as the project stream game, so it would compare favorably to console.

edit: correction,

166 on stadia, 144 ms on Xbox 1X, and 112 on PC at 30 fps (keep in mind, even though stadia is a 60 fps stream, I believe AC Odyssey is a 30 fps game on it.)

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
It will lag.

Almost impossible for it not to. How it's handled and how much lag and how bad it is are all the questions.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Digital Foundry did an input lag test on this and got the same numbers.

The caveat? Its the exact same input lag as on console, and only like 40 ms faster on pc. AC Oddyssey has the input lag basically built into the game, which is probably why google picked it as the project stream game, so it would compare favorably to console.

edit: correction,

166 on stadia, 144 ms on Xbox 1X, and 112 on PC at 30 fps (keep in mind, even though stadia is a 60 fps stream, I believe AC Odyssey is a 30 fps game on it.)
That doesn't seem that bad tbh

Sep 19, 2008
If this turns out to be a thing hope this lasts longer than other prior Google ventures like Google+ and Google News :laugh:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I can see it as a great way to test drive games. Click a link in your browser, be playing the game 30 seconds later, play it for 20 minutes and then buy it on Steam (or elsewhere) or decide that it's not worth buying. If that's the purpose and it's free, it'd be a very useful service, in spite of the lag. The problem, of course, is that it appears that Google intends to charge for it.

I think that what they should do is allow anyone to play for free, but with restrictions, like not being able to save progress, play above 720p and/or play for longer than an hour without a subscription. That would get a lot of people using the system to try out games and, eventually, many of those (for whom the lag isn't bothersome) may decide that it makes more sense for them to pay for a subscription than for the individual games that they choose to buy.

If Google does that, the service could be very successful in the long run, IMO, like Amazon giving away free shipping and taking a loss in the early years to build their customer base. If, instead, they provide no attractive free option and people have to pay up front to use the service, it's probably going to struggle for customers, especially if the negative-to-lukewarm press continues.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Oh God, I was listening to a podcast discuss this and they brought up something I hadnt thought of: This thing is going to be absolutely PACKED with ads.

Imagine you're playing Assasins Creed. All of a sudden a pop up ad for Far Cry is going to come up. Maybe when you access a menu, maybe during load times.

Then youre going to have the inevitable "Pay $20 to remove ads" ad.

They also speculate ot could be like "Pay $5 dollars for 5 hours of play time with X game"

Reactions: Roman Fell

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Oh God, I was listening to a podcast discuss this and they brought up something I hadnt thought of: This thing is going to be absolutely PACKED with ads.

Imagine you're playing Assasins Creed. All of a sudden a pop up ad for Far Cry is going to come up. Maybe when you access a menu, maybe during load times.

They also speculate ot could be like "Pay $5 dollars for 5 hours of play time with X game"
What a nightmare this would be.

We live in a world now where everything, even a lot of individual games, are sold as a service now instead of a one-time fee.

Everyone complains about ad's, DLC, season passes, subscription services... but people keep buying them so they will keep doing it. They will absolutely add ad's to them too.

They will test it out on a few people, they will hate it. Then they will just slowly do it anyways till people are just used to it.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Lots of potential for more crap in video games, true. Also potential for great good, to be fair.

I have an almost irrational hatred of ads, though....

Reactions: Beau Knows

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad