Google Stadia

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I tried to find player/user numbers for Stadia but could only find player numbers for Destiny 2, strangely. Does anyone know how many users Stadia has now?

Should skyrocket today and going forward.

It is now a free to play title on Stadia (no subscription and no purchase nessissary).

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't blame people for not knowing this because Google has explained it horribly. Stadia is not a Netflix/Gamepass Subscription service, they're a PS Plus/Xbox Live Gold service. You get free games every month but it's predominately a storefront where you actually buy the streaming titles. You don't actually need to be a subscriber to buy and stream games. Weird, I know.

That's like what I had been saying from the start. Not that it would be an Xbox Live Gold-type service but that it wouldn't be a Netflix-type service, as unless Google wanted to sink a ton of money into it the financial's just weren't there. It's a double whammy, first the streaming would be more costly, as your likely talking more bandwidth to stream 60FPS plus each user needs to have access to more powerful hardware to play the game. Second the ticket cost of a high end game is more than a ticket to see a movie in theatre or what you would essentially pay for a TV show.

Either this was going to be a streaming service relying on a storefront, or for a full 'Netflix' experience the subscription would cost like maybe $30 a month. And I still think there's a place for this type of service, but it's going to be niche and not something that will dominate the industry. Not indicating anyone here but I feel like in general 'gamers' have been so hostile towards Stadia because they saw it as an planned attack on the status quo.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
but I feel like in general 'gamers' have been so hostile towards Stadia because they saw it as an planned attack on the status quo.

False. It’s because most saw it as the “too good to be true” attempt at another gaming medium. Which it has been. As evidenced by its low popularity and how if it weren’t for this thread I would’ve forgot it even existed.

Can’t recall I single post in the months and months I’ve been following the XSX and PS5 threads even mentioning Stadia.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
For anyone following the news, Stadia is circling the bowl right now.

Google Stadia is closing its internal studios and Jade Raymond is leaving | PC Gamer

Terraria canceled on Stadia after developer gets locked out of his Google accounts

First party shut down, third parties getting the run around.

Doesn't look good. Guess we'll wait and see what happens. At this point, I feel like they underestimated the gaming market a little are just getting outclassed by Nvidia (GeForce now letting you use existing library) and Xbox (Game Pass).

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
For anyone following the news, Stadia is circling the bowl right now.

Google Stadia is closing its internal studios and Jade Raymond is leaving | PC Gamer

Terraria canceled on Stadia after developer gets locked out of his Google accounts

First party shut down, third parties getting the run around.

Doesn't look good. Guess we'll wait and see what happens. At this point, I feel like they underestimated the gaming market a little are just getting outclassed by Nvidia (GeForce now letting you use existing library) and Xbox (Game Pass).
I don't understand how it's failing so badly. It seems like something that could be a real thing. I don't know why it can't be an app on every tv where casual or older gamers can just buy PGA Tour golf or Madden or Fifa or whatever. It's just baffling how mismanaged the project is.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't know why it can't be an app on every tv where casual or older gamers can just buy PGA Tour golf or Madden or Fifa or whatever. It's just baffling how mismanaged the project is.

Anyone casual enough to use Stadia this way is so casual they'd just play free games on their phone/tablet.
Light gamers interested in Madden and such are still "hardcore" enough that they want the ecosystem and performance a real console provides. Further, proper consoles aren't really that expensive anyway.

It's just not seen as a burden or something people are really searching for an alternative to. The PS4 came out in 2013 and is still mostly supported in 2021. Even if you paid launch price you aren't hurting over 8 years.

It's basically a non-market at current tech levels.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't understand how it's failing so badly. It seems like something that could be a real thing. I don't know why it can't be an app on every tv where casual or older gamers can just buy PGA Tour golf or Madden or Fifa or whatever. It's just baffling how mismanaged the project is.

From what I can tell, Google tried to sell it/make it as the next big revolutionary thing rather than taking a more modest approach. Then Google has the hardware to pull it off, but the majority of their prospective customers don't actually have the bandwidth to use it. Doing a quick search tells me that stadia can run at 4.5-20GB an hour. And they're advertising this as something you can play on your smart phone? I saw someone make the point that Google stated that in the US there's no reason ISP's and big telecoms wouldn't want to keep improving their services therefore making these data rates feasible... the same telecoms that killed/rejected the 'Google Fiber' project to bring ultra high speed internet everywhere. Who under the previous US administration had their own crony heading the US Federal organization that oversees these things (FTC?) and had stated that data levels from 2016-prior are good enough.

I'm not well versed in Google's failed project history but I look at something like Amazon has sold their Amazon Prime service work by combining their shipping subscription with a streaming subscription. I would think if Stadia was going to work Google would have needed to do something like this being much less ambitious with the launch and putting much more effort into the Google Fiber product (which I really know little about) and packaging them together. Build some sort of a backbone first rather than starting by pretty much taking on the entire gaming industry.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Stadia hasn't failed.

I've had mine for 5 months now and Ive had minimal to no problems with it. (Other than controller issues the odd time) Matching in games, no lag, great resolution, and the way I can buy a game without any download time and jump right in is amazing. There's a lot of titles and genres to choose from. The subreddit and discord is always active and there's new releases quite often. Playing RDR2 right now, along with Outcasters, Division 2.

It gets a ton of flack from people based on what they read and follow along with on the internet. I mean ya, the experience is different for everyone but I like it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Stadia’s VP and head of product leaves Google
arstechnica said:
This latest departure is just another sign that Google's game-streaming service is circling the drain. A Bloomberg report from February revealed that the service missed Google's internal sales estimates by "hundreds of thousands" of users. Shortly before the release of that report, Google shut down its in-house game studio, Stadia Games and Entertainment, after less than two years of operation, citing the high cost of operating it. This move led to Stadia's other high-profile departure, the exit of Assassin's Creed co-creator Jade Raymond.

A day later:

Six additional staff leave Stadia to join Haven Studios
gamesindustry.biz said:
A further six members of staff have left Google Stadia for new roles at Haven Studios, the venture founded by former Stadia VP Jade Raymond.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Stadia - It's too expensive to run
Microsoft - (Backs up a truckload of Money to Xbox's doorstep) Make it work.

That's why Stadia will fail and others will succeed. Google gives up too quickly on things as they're just in it for the short term gains while something like the console biz is a LONG, LONG, LONG game.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Stadia hasn't failed.

I've had mine for 5 months now and Ive had minimal to no problems with it. (Other than controller issues the odd time) Matching in games, no lag, great resolution, and the way I can buy a game without any download time and jump right in is amazing. There's a lot of titles and genres to choose from. The subreddit and discord is always active and there's new releases quite often. Playing RDR2 right now, along with Outcasters, Division 2.

It gets a ton of flack from people based on what they read and follow along with on the internet. I mean ya, the experience is different for everyone but I like it.

The tech is great, assuming you meet the requirements of good internet and proximity to servers.

The "failed" part of it is on Google's business side...shutting down studios, losing personnel, ignoring third party developers, etc.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
The tech is great, assuming you meet the requirements of good internet and proximity to servers.

The "failed" part of it is on Google's business side...shutting down studios, losing personnel, ignoring third party developers, etc.
3rd party developers as in, independent? If so, it's full of it..

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

Looks like stadia is being phased out and re-purposed. Honestly on some level it's kind of a shame the input latency is really, really good for Destiny 2.

I'm probably one of the few who actually spent money on stadia. I bought ghost recon breakpoint for $1, lol.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com

Looks like stadia is being phased out and re-purposed. Honestly on some level it's kind of a shame the input latency is really, really good for Destiny 2.

I'm probably one of the few who actually spent money on stadia. I bought ghost recon breakpoint for $1, lol.

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise. I have several Nest things, and I just rue the day when Google is like "nah, we're not doing that anymore". I'm surprised Pixels have made it this far TBH, although the Nexuses made it version 6 as well.

Digital media is why I also keep buying physical. Even DVD's (which bonus, are a cinch to rip and encode to mp4's), but even Blurays can be done with patience. Digital? As long as the servers are still up, but IIRC Amazon and MS have removed media before.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
It's pretty generous of Google to refund all hardware and game purchases. Their subscribers really aren't out anything but their monthly fees. Ironically, if they had advertised in the beginning that they'd refund all hardware and game purchases if the service ever shut down, enough people might've bought into it so that it wouldn't need to shut down. :laugh:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Yea not gonna lie the only surprising thing about this is that they're actually offering refunds.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Never tried it but was not surprised it didn't make it. Google, like a lot of these giant tech companies it seems, throw stuff out and hope more catch on than don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad