Gomez?

Status
Not open for further replies.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Who is "proven" and what cost does it come at?

When do we start going for it? We've won NOTHING in 40+ years, at what point does paying a higher cost for a run at the cup become a realistic possibility?

When we haven't won anything for 60 years? 80 years?

I've said this before...HFBoards must be the only place in the hockey world where cap space, draft picks, and some good young prospects are more valuable than a Stanley Cup.

The window is CLOSING. Proven talent costs a lot...it cost the Kings a lot to get Carter and Richards...they paid the price. Sure, its not always a guarantee, but at least it showed their commitment to making a run for the cup.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
When do we start going for it? We've won NOTHING in 40+ years, at what point does paying a higher cost for a run at the cup become a realistic possibility?

When we haven't won anything for 60 years? 80 years?

I've said this before...HFBoards must be the only place in the hockey world where cap space, draft picks, and some good young prospects are more valuable than a Stanley Cup.

The window is CLOSING. Proven talent costs a lot...it cost the Kings a lot to get Carter and Richards...they paid the price. Sure, its not always a guarantee, but at least it showed their commitment to making a run for the cup.

Carter and Richards were largely ineffective until playoffs and most kings fans wanted to kill them. Higgins had the same point total as Richards with 3 less games played and less minutes.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Carter and Richards were largely ineffective until playoffs and most kings fans wanted to kill them. Higgins had the same point total as Richards with 3 less games played and less minutes.

I don't care if the Sedins put up 50 points each in the regular season through 82 games, if they produce in the playoffs from an 8th seed, or 7th seed and we go on a deep run or win a cup, THAT is what matters.

Art Ross is great, President's Trophy is fantastic, Division Titles are awesome, the bottom line is, they mean absolutely nothing.

Sure their fans were frustrated with those 2 until the playoffs, but I'd go through that any day if it meant our players would step up in the playoffs in return. No brainer.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I don't care if the Sedins put up 50 points each in the regular season through 82 games, if they produce in the playoffs from an 8th seed, or 7th seed and we go on a deep run or win a cup, THAT is what matters.

Art Ross is great, President's Trophy is fantastic, Division Titles are awesome, the bottom line is, they mean absolutely nothing.

Sure their fans were frustrated with those 2 until the playoffs, but I'd go through that any day if it meant our players would step up in the playoffs in return. No brainer.

Kings had one of the easiest runs in modern hockey and they almost missed the post season by not giving any ****s. That's not how I want to win a cup.

I'd rather experiment the first 10 games with Ebbett/Schroeder at 2C and then decide what to do after that instead of throwing money and wasting a contract spot for Scott ****ing Gomez. He is so anti money puck it's not even funny.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
From what I heard, if Gomez and Redden are bought out this year, they would count against the cap.
The amnesty clause is only available this coming summer.

That was why they were told to stay home.
The teams do not want to to suffer a long term injury, which will force them onto the LTIR, and thus take away the ability to buy them out.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Kings had one of the easiest runs in modern hockey and they almost missed the post season by not giving any ****s. That's not how I want to win a cup.

I'd rather experiment the first 10 games with Ebbett/Schroeder at 2C and then decide what to do after that instead of throwing money and wasting a contract spot for Scott ****ing Gomez. He is so anti money puck it's not even funny.

You and I agree that Scott Gomez is NOT the answer. I don't want the Canucks to go near him at all.

That's not how you want to win a cup? Easy run?

That's completely idiotic. They destroyed the Presidents Trophy winners and dominated every other team they played. They earned it.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver

At 7 million, yes, he's the very anti-thesis of moneypuck and you'd have to be insane to take a chance on him.

Bought out, and on a cheap short term contract? It's not like he's 41 years old. He's only a couple of years removed from being a perennial point per game guy. It'd be an intriguing gamble, to be sure.

I know everyone would rather go out and just...I dunno...acquire Perry or something, but A) those guys have to actually be available first, and B) they're going to cost a hell of a lot more in term of assets and cap space.

I dunno about Gomez. If the price was right, it'd be low risk and extremely high reward. On the other hand, he could be Marco Sturm 2.0.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
You and I agree that Scott Gomez is NOT the answer. I don't want the Canucks to go near him at all.

That's not how you want to win a cup? Easy run?

That's completely idiotic. They destroyed the Presidents Trophy winners and dominated every other team they played. They earned it.

They barely 8th seeded it despite being a cup Favourite in the off season. That's what I meant in I don't want to win that way.

I think yet deserved it but should be damn ashamed for putting ****** hockey on the ice for 6.5 months, and anyone who says that they wouldn't care if the cup was won after that is straight lying. I want to see dominant hockey, not coasting.

drivier

Apr 30, 2009
Vancouver
... and it gives Kass and Schroeder who had good chemistry in Chicago a chance to prove something. Everyone was so gungho on CoHo playing Top 6 last year despite proving **** all when given the chance, Schroeder is 100x better defensively and at skating, at the very least they'll keep puck out.

I don't agree with your statement on Schroeder. Hope I'm wrong. But, it is my belief that he'll be a perennial tweener.. excelling at the AHL and struggling at the NHL.

Therefore, I see the need for a stop-gap. Gomez at less than 1.5 million provides that. At worst, he's shipped out at a nominal hit. If the risk is ice-time from Schroeder.. I say.. "Meh."

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
There were 8 million or so reasons. The guy had huge pressure every time he got on the ice because of that contract. On a much smaller contract I think he could bounce back well.

I'd be interested for sure so long as the price was right.

That's such a strange explanation I've always found. Any player that this actually affects shows they do not have the mental fortitude to make it as a true contributor in any meaningful game played in the NHL if they will fold their cards for a contract THEY agreed to.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
At 7 million, yes, he's the very anti-thesis of moneypuck and you'd have to be insane to take a chance on him.

Bought out, and on a cheap short term contract? It's not like he's 41 years old. He's only a couple of years removed from being a perennial point per game guy. It'd be an intriguing gamble, to be sure.

I know everyone would rather go out and just...I dunno...acquire Perry or something, but A) those guys have to actually be available first, and B) they're going to cost a hell of a lot more in term of assets and cap space.

I dunno about Gomez. If the price was right, it'd be low risk and extremely high reward. On the other hand, he could be Marco Sturm 2.0.

If he's available after we can't get anything going with what we have after 5-10 games, sure throw him 800k-1M and see what happens. But at this point it's stupid as its a stop gap.

Frankly I'd rather wait and see what Luongo will fetch at dealine depending on Lacks groin, seeing as Detroit, Toronto and a few others will be hitting the panic button and will probably overpay.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
I think yet deserved it but should be damn ashamed for putting ****** hockey on the ice for 6.5 months, and anyone who says that they wouldn't care if the cup was won after that is straight lying. I want to see dominant hockey, not coasting.

I wouldn't care if we won the weakest cup of all time, after the weakest season of all time. We'd still have won the bloody thing. I'm not into this whole "cups with asterisks" garbage.

That said, you're correct. The Kings were incredibly lucky to even be in the playoffs at all. You really don't want to stumble-bum through the season like that and slink into 8th, it's far more likely to blow up in your face in the form of terrible match-ups and sub-standard hockey. The Kings got very lucky. Takes nothing away from their win, but 9 times out of 10 slumming your way into a low seed is a ticket to a 1st round exit.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I don't agree with your statement on Schroeder. Hope I'm wrong. But, it is my belief that he'll be a perennial tweener.. excelling at the AHL and struggling at the NHL.

Therefore, I see the need for a stop-gap. Gomez at less than 1.5 million provides that. At worst, he's shipped out at a nominal hit. If the risk is ice-time from Schroeder.. I say.. "Meh."

I've seen Schroeder in some AHL games, and while I don't think he's a perma Top 6er, he's a very effective skater and decent playmaker. I don't see much risk about it to be honest, he can at least keep up with the play.

Cocoa Crisp

Mar 8, 2006
NYC
No. Just, no. We'll be fine this year. AV can coach boring hockey with the best of them. Only this time, he'll have two starting goalies to rotate through on a shortened season. Then, near the deadline re-incorporate Kes and Booth into the lineup and enter the playoffs re-invigorated.

We have no need for Gomez, not at the expense of giving our prospects the opportunity to step up.

Pseudonymous*

If you think Gomez is going to be productive in a top 6 role on a Top 3 team, I don't know what to tell you.

I still don't understand why we're all flipping out about the second line. Kesler will be back and it gives Kass and Schroeder who had good chemistry in Chicago a chance to prove something. Everyone was so gungho on CoHo playing Top 6 last year despite proving **** all when given the chance, Schroeder is 100x better defensively and at skating, at the very least they'll keep puck out.

We have 2 80+pt men, a 50pt DMan in Edler who will likely make it again as Garrison is way more effective than Salo, a 40pt Dman in Bieksa and probably the best Top4 after NYR and two legit starting goalies. This is the exact same issue that happened last season and they won the PT without the twins producing much, can we all just calm the **** down for the first 10 games?

you act is if schroeder is going to even make the team. he could quite easily send him back to the ahl to continue growing and give ebbett the chance.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I wouldn't care if we won the weakest cup of all time, after the weakest season of all time. We'd still have won the bloody thing. I'm not into this whole "cups with asterisks" garbage.

That said, you're correct. The Kings were incredibly lucky to even be in the playoffs at all. You really don't want to stumble-bum through the season like that and slink into 8th, it's far more likely to blow up in your face in the form of terrible match-ups and sub-standard hockey. The Kings got very lucky. Takes nothing away from their win, but 9 times out of 10 slumming your way into a low seed is a ticket to a 1st round exit.

If they had missed it, they would have been considered one of the biggest off season busts of recent hockey. I think they deserved to win on dominant play in post season but aside from that I don't care, the entire Pacific division was an embarrassment last year. In order for that situation to happen, you have to have a standing -on-his-head Quick to even allow your team to win games playing that crappily.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
you act is if schroeder is going to even make the team. he could quite easily send him back to the ahl to continue growing and give ebbett the chance.

This is true, but AV was nuts about him last year and I believe wanted him over hodgson but we all know how that went.

Keep in mind the Wolves aren't great this year since Lack went down and Climie has taken starter. Gallagher and Schroeder are similar in the fact they both have super high end talent and skating ability but lack size. And this is verbatim from someone that coached Gallagher and against him during his major midget and junior career. Schroeder is an NHLer.

BimJenning

Feb 17, 2008
Vancouver
Despite his obvious woes in Montreal, Gomez on a flyer for $2million or less would be pretty decent IMO. If we are truly desperate enough to look at Bozak, I don't see how Gomez is any worse. He's a defensive forward that is pass first, and has never been a great goal-scorer in his career. I don't see how having an asset like that on a low contract somehow hurts the team, especially with a second PP option. Perhaps read this folks: http://jetsnation.ca/2012/1/26/is-scott-gomez-hockeys-most-underrated-yes

Outside99*

Gomez is a very similar player to Ebbett without the scoring touch.

Wizeman*

I think at age 22 , we need to give Jordan Schroeder a chance to play in the NHL now. He can fill in until Kesler returns.

I do not believe we need to sign Scott Gomez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad