Gomez?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I like in_shape_Gomez... chubby_Gomez_sucks. If he's in shape he could absolutely help this team.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
It's odd that Gillis and AV would have no interest at all in Gomez. He looks like he could be an obvious "moneypuck" type move if he was bought out.

The Canucks need a center right now, even if it's just for 1 season. And for Gomez, trying to rebound on a good team with a 1-yr $1mill type deal (a la Carter/Selanne/etc have done in past years coming off bad seasons), just seems to make sense.

It's low risk for the Canucks... if he doesn't work out, he gets waived. But at worst he's a plug who's going to work his ass off to gain back a NHL career, who can keep a spot until Kesler is back.

Gomez has been downright horrible for the past 2 seasons now. He did have a good first year with Montreal (not $7mill good, but decent year). Maybe a change of scenery, where he's played before (BCHL), plugged into a good team and system (like he's had in his best years), and without the pressures of living up to a $7+mill contract in a hockey mad market, he could turn his career around.

I'd take the chance, even if he's 90% likely to fail. At $1mill or less on a 1yr contract, I'd easily take the risk on Gomez. What do you have to lose?

Yep. Not a fan of Gomez, but a one year deal would've made sense a million times more than giving it to Barker.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
just add him for godsakes. nucks will probably be playing defensive hockey without booth/kesler for awhile. the team will be a 1 line scoring team again..

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Would rather they gave him a shot instead of Barker... my goodness.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
He might not actually want to go back to NJ IMO. The reasons for leaving there, aside from the cash, may still be factors for him. There's a very real possibility he goes out west and starts anew, but with a team that has a legit shot at the cup.

I heard 5 western teams were immediately interested. I think they are:

Chicago
Anaheim
Minnesota
Phoenix
Nashville

That's 6 teams when you factor in NJ (if they're interested). From his dad's comments, it seems like contenders are going to be high on his list. So that should favour teams like Chicago and maybe Phoenix (of that list). It should also favour Vancouver if they show interest. Lombardi was just traded to Phoenix though, so that might take them out of the running, which leaves us or Chicago.

I think he would do really well with the Hawks. He plays a speed based game and they are a fast team. Tough to say.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
gomez... i'd do it.

sure, he may have sucked recently, but he has a track record of thriving in a secondary offense role on a defense-oriented team. he's responsible defensively, even if he's not gritty at all. he is an excellent playmaker. we need a distributor on the second PP unit, which he can do with his eyes closed. he has more playoff experience than anyone on our team, and he has infinitely more cup rings than our entire team combined (2-0). feels to me like AV would love to have this guy (as opposed to, say, schroeder), despite what he may have said.

downsides: as primarily (almost exclusively) a playmaker, his ideal linemates on this team (kesler, booth) are the guys he's replacing. would he be a good fit with raymond? kassian? hansen/higgins/etc.? maybe, but that's not guaranteed.

i can see gomez going to NJ though. he needs a career rejuvenation, and the ideal guy to do that with is elias.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
I know I'm going to be let down but sure would be nice if they just let Schroeder have a few games before they did anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad