Gomez?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
So, FWIW:

I saw that, but is this something he would be privy to?

Perhaps they discussed the possibility of Gomez being bought out, and then decided against bringing him in during meetings. Would be unfortunate, and a bit confusing considering they are supposedly interested in Bozak. I'd much rather gamble on Gomez.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
I saw that, but is this something he would be privy to?

Perhaps they discussed the possibility of Gomez being bought out, and then decided against bringing him in during meetings. Would be unfortunate, and a bit confusing considering they are supposedly interested in Bozak. I'd much rather gamble on Gomez.

Yes, this is definitely something Vigneault would be in on. Of course a GM would consult with his coach about potential player signings and trades. Why wouldn't he? Why wouldn't Gillis consult his coach, lest he bring in a player his coach didn't like or didn't think would fit his team's strategy, etc.? There's no need for Gillis to keep anything secret from Vigneault, they're on the same team.

If Vigneault is speaking this candidly about Gomez, it's pretty safe to say Gillis feels the same way and the team isn't interested in Gomez.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yes, this is definitely something Vigneault would be in on. Of course a GM would consult with his coach about potential player signings and trades. Why wouldn't he? Why wouldn't Gillis consult his coach, lest he bring in a player his coach didn't like or didn't think would fit his team's strategy, etc.? There's no need for Gillis to keep anything secret from Vigneault, they're on the same team.

If Vigneault is speaking this candidly about Gomez, it's pretty safe to say Gillis feels the same way and the team isn't interested in Gomez.

Well, the reason I question it is that Gomez wasn't expected to be on the market so fast. This immediate buyout is a recent development. As a result, I'm unsure how black and white the evaluation on him would have been.

What's more, Gomez tracks pretty well as a possession player. Gillis has been known to put stock into these metrics (MAG, Booth). So to be outright against getting Gomez makes little sense.

I guess we'll see.

TBIF

Jan 8, 2011
Goes both ways too, AV could have talked to Gillis

"Keslers out, Booth to now, any interest in Gomez?"

"No."

NFITO

hockeyinsanity*****
Jun 19, 2002
www.hockeyinsanity.com
It's odd that Gillis and AV would have no interest at all in Gomez. He looks like he could be an obvious "moneypuck" type move if he was bought out.

The Canucks need a center right now, even if it's just for 1 season. And for Gomez, trying to rebound on a good team with a 1-yr $1mill type deal (a la Carter/Selanne/etc have done in past years coming off bad seasons), just seems to make sense.

It's low risk for the Canucks... if he doesn't work out, he gets waived. But at worst he's a plug who's going to work his ass off to gain back a NHL career, who can keep a spot until Kesler is back.

Gomez has been downright horrible for the past 2 seasons now. He did have a good first year with Montreal (not $7mill good, but decent year). Maybe a change of scenery, where he's played before (BCHL), plugged into a good team and system (like he's had in his best years), and without the pressures of living up to a $7+mill contract in a hockey mad market, he could turn his career around.

I'd take the chance, even if he's 90% likely to fail. At $1mill or less on a 1yr contract, I'd easily take the risk on Gomez. What do you have to lose?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
It's odd that Gillis and AV would have no interest at all in Gomez. He looks like he could be an obvious "moneypuck" type move if he was bought out.

The Canucks need a center right now, even if it's just for 1 season. And for Gomez, trying to rebound on a good team with a 1-yr $1mill type deal (a la Carter/Selanne/etc have done in past years coming off bad seasons), just seems to make sense.

It's low risk for the Canucks... if he doesn't work out, he gets waived. But at worst he's a plug who's going to work his ass off to gain back a NHL career, who can keep a spot until Kesler is back.

Gomez has been downright horrible for the past 2 seasons now. He did have a good first year with Montreal (not $7mill good, but decent year). Maybe a change of scenery, where he's played before (BCHL), plugged into a good team and system (like he's had in his best years), and without the pressures of living up to a $7+mill contract in a hockey mad market, he could turn his career around.

I'd take the chance, even if he's 90% likely to fail. At $1mill or less on a 1yr contract, I'd easily take the risk on Gomez. What do you have to lose?

What do you have to lose? Nothing. But apparently AV, via the Canucks, are not interested.

Puzzling if indeed true.

Nov 1, 2011
I'd take Gomer at $800K or whatever the limit to send guys down is...and he'd have to know that if he doesn't preform, he's getting sent down.

I think he'll get a better offer than that.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
i agree w NFITO, and would even go upwards of $1.5M, frankly

the guy was a consistent 60-80pt player just a couple years ago

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Like I said before, there is no way I'd give him more than league minimum.
It's not like he's desperate for money, he's getting an advance in his paycheck. :sarcasm:

If he wants the chance to reboot his career on a winning team, he'll need to take a discount contract.
We need to save as much cap space as possible if we want to pick up a top 6 forward at/before the trade deadline.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
only one person here has sort of mentioned he's sort of a local boy. I wouldn't be surprised if, on top of English and Spanish, he could speak Chinook Wawa. Canucks were his favourite team growing up.

So if he signs anywhere in West, Vancouver is near the top of the list if money isn't the issue. Can't see why it would be with his numbers and baggage since his rookie season. High Profile players get as eaten alive out here as they do in the major market teams.

Oh, and I think its obvious that AV knows who MG is going to sign and prepared for that question in the Quebec press. He's kind of an insider.

The reason is obvious, of course. There's is no clause in the new CBA (yet) regarding buyout amnesties until the summer.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Too many tweets to link individually. (because I am lazy)

https://twitter.com/News1130Sports
Scot Gomez's dad Carlos who is still one of his representitive's tells us his son was "shocked" when told by Habs to go home.

Carlos says Scot wants the right to work and not go home and sit.

At age 34 Gomez wants one last crack at the stanley cup - Scot in New Jersey awaiting his fate.

Vancouver not far from Gomez's hometown in Alaska and he played for the South Surrey Eagles.

Carlos says the Canucks would be great fit for his son but it's not dads call.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
I don't think Scott Gomez is the answer. In his current state as a hockey player, he is not really much of an improvement over Ebbett or Schroeder. He's an undersized, soft, perimeter player who has a lot of questions around his work ethic and desire.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Don't read anything into what AV has said. Gomez is still technically under contract with the Habs (on unconditional waivers today in advance of the buyout), and because of that AV and the canucks can't say anything about signing him to a deal. The situation is essentially the same as when Wilson talked about signing the Sedins prior to them becoming free agents. Gomez isn't a free agent yet so the only right answer is the firm "No" AV gave.

I expect they will talk to him when the buy out process is complete and determine if there is a no risk possibility to sign him (i.e. 900k or lower for one year).

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
No thanks. Keep the Sedins and Burrows together, let Raymond shift back to his natural position and give some minutes to Schroeder and Kassian.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Schroeder - Kassian

Sure, we'll have trouble until Kesler gets back, but that's a given. What's important is that we allow ourselves to see how Schroeder adjusts to the NHL game, and to see if he is a long-term fixture for this team or just another tweener. What's his future role on the team? Our top 2 Cs are here long term, and Gaunce will probably take the 3c role within 3-4 years. What's Scoreder's long term role?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I don't think Scott Gomez is the answer. In his current state as a hockey player, he is not really much of an improvement over Ebbett or Schroeder. He's an undersized, soft, perimeter player who has a lot of questions around his work ethic and desire.
Might be different now that he's got to earn his paycheck. Course, I can see the other side of the argument (re: he's already living it easy with his contract buyout money).

At 900K, I think he's definately a more known quantity over Schroeder - at least at the NHL level. As a 4th line center @ less than 900K, I don't see the risk.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
If the Canucks gut reaction is that they're going to pass, gotta think its for character reasons.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Might be different now that he's got to earn his paycheck. Course, I can see the other side of the argument (re: he's already living it easy with his contract buyout money).

At 900K, I think he's definately a more known quantity over Schroeder - at least at the NHL level. As a 4th line center @ less than 900K, I don't see the risk.

Yes - as a 3rd/4th line centre, probably worth the risk. You can never have too much depth at centre. But as a solution to our 2nd line Centre problem, no, not really.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Some of you guys actually still seem to be misreading the translation of AV's comment on Gomez. Awfully quick to dismiss based on incorrect/incomplete information.

I'd love to see Ebbett thrive in that role (probably more than any of the posters here), but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Canucks do some affordable contingency planning and add depth and experience to their offense.

LolClarkson*

There were 8 million or so reasons. The guy had huge pressure every time he got on the ice because of that contract. On a much smaller contract I think he could bounce back well.

I'd be interested for sure so long as the price was right.

Over rated New Jersey player..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad