OT: Golf 2.0

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
Played River Oaks last night. While there's definitely some brown on the course, the greens were actually in very nice shape.
Me too, tees and greens were in great shape. 86 my putting sucked.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Nice to see 2 Canadians in the hunt at the Open, hope Connors and Hughes play well today.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Had a son and dads round of golf at Kingswood Tuesday and really enjoyed the day. My kid is loving golf so what a great decision to get him clubs for Christmas and start him in the game.

I was pretty hit and miss and had to take a scheduled conference call by hole 13 so my round ended early (I drove the cart while on the call) but just watching my kids face after a good hole or good shot was totally worth it. Pretty quirky course.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Had a son and dads round of golf at Kingswood Tuesday and really enjoyed the day. My kid is loving golf so what a great decision to get him clubs for Christmas and start him in the game.

I was pretty hit and miss and had to take a scheduled conference call by hole 13 so my round ended early (I drove the cart while on the call) but just watching my kids face after a good hole or good shot was totally worth it. Pretty quirky course.
Wish i started that young, great stuff. Never really cared for Kingswood , quirky is a good word for it.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Wish i started that young, great stuff. Never really cared for Kingswood , quirky is a good word for it.

I started my kid at Golftec too. Just going to get him going with good beginner lessons and lots of emotional support. The idea is to get him off on the right foot and if he loves it great if not that’s ok too.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
We played Elmhurst in Mundie Putter this week for first round of playoffs.

Their team is ridiculously good lol. We got smoked, 10.5-1.5.

Fun season playing some competitive golf again, haven't played any since I was like 15.

How did you get your start at Golf?

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
How did you get your start at Golf?
My dad's been taking me out since I was like 3. Used to have a little kids set with a driver, 5 iron, wedge, putter. I've played and loved golf for as long as I can remember.

I still remember being 5 years old and playing Greywolf (really nice course), there is a par 3 that is over a bit of a canyon and I cleared it (I'm sure it was as short of a shot as possible).

Reactions: Jets 31

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

No guarantee you'd love it though. I started around 12 or so because my buddies were going. I did ok at it but never really enjoyed it. It was golf or sit around alone. I never came back around to golf until I was in my late twenties. Definitely would have helped me be a better player had I learned some good habits at that time. If I was like ps241's kid and loved it from the start, that would be excellent but not always the outcome.

As for Kingswood I've never loved it for a couple of reasons, the most important being that it's so often really dry there and I've scratched my clubs so many times on shitty ground. Yeah, there was grass there, but barely and they seem to have a lot of little stones in their dirt. I also really dislike the change to the order of the holes they did a few years back. Prior to that you could walk that course and it made sense, with no super long walks between holes. Now? You couldn't pay me to walk that course. I guess I see the benefit of mixing the prairie and wooded holes up more, but I still liked it better when it played as separate nines with the front in the woods (mostly) and then the back in that bald prairie (mostly).

Reactions: Jets 31

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
My dad's been taking me out since I was like 3. Used to have a little kids set with a driver, 5 iron, wedge, putter. I've played and loved golf for as long as I can remember.

I still remember being 5 years old and playing Greywolf (really nice course), there is a par 3 that is over a bit of a canyon and I cleared it (I'm sure it was as short of a shot as possible).

Wow that is as early as it gets :laugh:. Was your dad a big golfer?

My dad was physed teacher and a good golfer (always shot in the 70's) considering he never golfed in July or August after he turned about 35. His son had less passion for the game than he had.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Wow that is as early as it gets :laugh:. Was your dad a big golfer?

My dad was physed teacher and a good golfer (always shot in the 70's) considering he never golfed in July or August after he turned about 35. His son had less passion for the game than he had.
He always had a membership somewhere growing up, I would say he was a big golfer but never like crazy competitive or anything. I had 3 older brothers so we all got into golf, naturally as the youngest I got out there really young haha.

Reactions: Jets 31 and buggs

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
No guarantee you'd love it though. I started around 12 or so because my buddies were going. I did ok at it but never really enjoyed it. It was golf or sit around alone. I never came back around to golf until I was in my late twenties. Definitely would have helped me be a better player had I learned some good habits at that time. If I was like ps241's kid and loved it from the start, that would be excellent but not always the outcome.

As for Kingswood I've never loved it for a couple of reasons, the most important being that it's so often really dry there and I've scratched my clubs so many times on shitty ground. Yeah, there was grass there, but barely and they seem to have a lot of little stones in their dirt. I also really dislike the change to the order of the holes they did a few years back. Prior to that you could walk that course and it made sense, with no super long walks between holes. Now? You couldn't pay me to walk that course. I guess I see the benefit of mixing the prairie and wooded holes up more, but I still liked it better when it played as separate nines with the front in the woods (mostly) and then the back in that bald prairie (mostly).

my struggle is I don't like standing on the tee box thinking if I hit my driver well I might get punished and that seemed to be a common feeling. The driver is already the worst club in my bag :laugh:

Reactions: Jets 31 and buggs

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He always had a membership somewhere growing up, I would say he was a big golfer but never like crazy competitive or anything. I had 3 older brothers so we all got into golf, naturally as the youngest I got out there really young haha.

Big advantage to being the youngest in some cases unless you like wearing new cloths (that was probably more of a boomer problem)

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
my struggle is I don't like standing on the tee box thinking if I hit my driver well I might get punished and that seemed to be a common feeling. The driver is already the worst club in my bag :laugh:
My head is the worst club in my bag. By far. My concentration has been awful the last three years. Almost every game I play I par probably 5-6 holes. And I probably take a penalty stroke on the other dozen or so holes because of a lack of concentration and putting it wide. So I can golf well, I just don't.

As for driver? I can still be 300 yards down the fairway in these dry conditions (gotta be 20-30 extra yards for lack of soft grass) or I can be hitting five off the tee. It's why I buy old tech for driver every five years or so. It's an upgrade on what I had, the best tech doesn't do me any good from the trees anyway and it gives me more money for beer.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
My head is the worst club in my bag. By far. My concentration has been awful the last three years. Almost every game I play I par probably 5-6 holes. And I probably take a penalty stroke on the other dozen or so holes because of a lack of concentration and putting it wide. So I can golf well, I just don't.

As for driver? I can still be 300 yards down the fairway in these dry conditions (gotta be 20-30 extra yards for lack of soft grass) or I can be hitting five off the tee. It's why I buy old tech for driver every five years or so. It's an upgrade on what I had, the best tech doesn't do me any good from the trees anyway and it gives me more money for beer.

Ok I laughed so loud the guy two offices down came over to see what was so funny. The best part of Kingswood is they sold lightly used Titleist balls (Box of 12) for $20. I was so pumped to be using nice affordable golf balls. Way less guilt and pressure when my son our I would free them from our tyranny.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

:biglaugh:At least you have your priority right. :laugh:

Reactions: buggs

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Wow was that a hot humid one today, 48 on the easy front 9 and 37 on the harder back nine. Finished the last 4 holes 2 under just to give me hope. :laugh:

Reactions: ps241

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Personal best last night...68.

7 birdies! 3 bogeys.

Lost our match...the guy we were playing shot 66 and birdied 7 holes on the back 9...it was crazy.

There was also 2 hole in ones on the same hole during Men's Night lol. Wild night of golf.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Hi golfing fanatics!’

I have some life issues going on nothing sinister as Maurice would say that is going to keep me from organizing and participating in the proposed HF get together in September.
I still hope you guys and gals can’t get together and have a really fun day.
Sorry I was looking forward to meeting you.

On a side note I got a really nasty poison ivy rash from my last round , I normally don’t ball hawk now I remembered why :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad