OT: Golf 2.0

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Well day one of the Club Championship is over, man i had it going for a little while then reality kicked in. :laugh: Lets see what today brings, putting everything out sounds easy but man it's nerve-racking and i missed some easy ones, gotta get out of your own head as they say. :laugh:

Reactions: ps241 and GNP

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Hi golfing fanatics!’

I have some life issues going on nothing sinister as Maurice would say that is going to keep me from organizing and participating in the proposed HF get together in September.
I still hope you guys and gals can’t get together and have a really fun day.
Sorry I was looking forward to meeting you.

On a side note I got a really nasty poison ivy rash from my last round , I normally don’t ball hawk now I remembered why :laugh:

Ok, this post has languished for a while. Not surprisingly perhaps, I've been drinking and am opting to step in for @Eyeseeing as the organizer. So here's the deal, we're likely going to play this gong show at Bridges. I'm going to target August 18, Saturday as the date. Looking at tee times around noonish, or 1 PM. Those that want to sleep can sleep, those that want lunch or range time can get there early. The rest of us are going to play. Well or poorly, it matters not. I would like responses by August 7.

Somewhere in the thread is a list of those interested. If someone wants to dig it up, please quote it. Otherwise PM me and if you have a preference of who you want to be in a group with, please state as much in the PM. I'll coordinate groups as best I can. If you want to golf with a guy that sucks at golf, has strong, unpopular opinions and is more than a little batshit crazy, request my group.

Let's get this going. @Eyeseeing you're free from organizing, come golf, you know you don't want to miss this.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Ok, this post has languished for a while. Not surprisingly perhaps, I've been drinking and am opting to step in for @Eyeseeing as the organizer. So here's the deal, we're likely going to play this gong show at Bridges. I'm going to target August 18, Saturday as the date. Looking at tee times around noonish, or 1 PM. Those that want to sleep can sleep, those that want lunch or range time can get there early. The rest of us are going to play. Well or poorly, it matters not. I would like responses by August 7.

Somewhere in the thread is a list of those interested. If someone wants to dig it up, please quote it. Otherwise PM me and if you have a preference of who you want to be in a group with, please state as much in the PM. I'll coordinate groups as best I can. If you want to golf with a guy that sucks at golf, has strong, unpopular opinions and is more than a little batshit crazy, request my group.

Let's get this going. @Eyeseeing you're free from organizing, come golf, you know you don't want to miss this.

Good morning Buggs this is so cool of you.
I’ll dig up the list when I get home and post it.
I’m not sure if I can but will try.
We drove up to Swan River and there’s a new nasty fire just south of the Pas so the valley here is quite smoky.
Back next week so will get list then

Reactions: kanadalainen

TheGovernment

Jan 13, 2012
I hit up River Oaks on Weds…. Boy, it’s in terrible shape…. Brown and hard pack found everywhere. Still shot a 85 but yuckers.
I also went to Warren to Play whispering winds today (close to my childhood hometown) and it was in amazing shape! I was shocked how good it was. Pretty windy, I had a nice 358 yard drive putting it up in the stratosphere and letting the wind take it lol. Shot a 88 but all because a 8 on one hole lol.
Back to Breezy tomorrow.

Reactions: ps241 and Jets 31

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

OK, so alcohol maybe doesn't help with organization skills. Whoulda thunk it.

Target date is August 20 which is an actual Saturday, versus the 18th which is not. :rolleyes:

Here's the original list:
@jorbjorb
@JetsWillFly4Ever
@buggs
@Ducky10
@Jets 31
@kanadalainen
@Eyeseeing
@Mud Turtle
@John Agar
@ps241
@GNP
@puck stoppa

Could you let me know, PM or here, if you're still interested.

Best ball format? For the better golfers I know I often played my own ball as well during best ball tourneys so I think it can work if you want to play your own round as well.

Suggestions for time? Morning is also fine by me. Afternoon would work as well. I care not, just trying to reach a happy middle ground.

Also contemplating a September date as that may be more available to those with families.

Last edited:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hey Buggs...

August 20th is a Friday, not a Saturday, which is fine for Me....

I would be in for an afternoon start time that day... have a short game lesson at Southwood at 10 am...

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Hey Buggs...

August 20th is a Friday, not a Saturday, which is fine for Me....

I would be in for an afternoon start time that day... have a short game lesson at Southwood at 10 am...
Thanks, I swear I wasn't day drinking. :laugh::naughty:

I'm not certain I can make it that day so I'm sticking with a weekend for the time being. So whatever day that week is a Saturday. It may or may not be the 21st. :ha:

Reactions: John Agar

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Let me know which day and I’ll see if I can make it. Sorry haven’t been on here too often, which course we looking at?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just an update. Going for my sons 2nd Golftec lesson today. We golfed 9 at Beauty Bay (Black Sturgeon) last week and we had a great time . Went to Lake Of The Woods Brewco after for a beer and some early dinner. My 12 year old son loves Golf.

I am thrilled I postponed my retirement from golf because I am having a blast with my kid. He is also starting to develop a pretty good little swing. Shocking change in 2 1/2 months.

Last edited:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Just an update. Going for my sons 2nd Golftec lesson today. We golfed 9 at Beauty Bay (Black Sturgeon) last week and we had a great time . Went to Lake Of The Woods Brewco after for a beer and some early dinner. My 12 year old son loves Golf.

I am thrilled I postponed my retirement from golf because I am having a blast with my kid. He is also starting to develop a pretty good little swing. Shocking chance 2 1/2 months.
Best ps241 redemption story since rooting for us to lose back in 2015.;)

Reactions: ps241 and John Agar

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

I am thrilled I postponed my retirement from golf because I am having a blast with my kid. He is also starting to develop a pretty good little swing. Shocking change in 2 1/2 months.
Do you have a place in the Kenora area? I have a place on Black Sturgeon and love Beauty Bay. If you’re around there, me and my 15 year old son are always up for a round.

Reactions: ps241

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Bridges.

May push date into September.
Would personally vote for a September push back. That Aug weekend is going to be tough with my son’s ball season getting near the end. Games all that weekend.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Do you have a place in the Kenora area? I have a place on Black Sturgeon and love Beauty Bay. If you’re around there, me and my 15 year old son are always up for a round.

I have a place on LOTW and this was the first time I golfed in the area due to my kid now playing. We had a great time on the course. I will PM you if we are heading out again this season. I was out most of July but August is more spotty because of lots of visors. Thanks for the offer though we would be up for that if you could handle a kid who started in June and an old hacker who is back at it after a 3 year layoff. :laugh:

Reactions: Ducky10

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Best ps241 redemption story since rooting for us to lose back in 2015.;)

That was a one and done idiotic phase I went through. Man that was bad and having PMo troll us tankers was hilarious. We ended up getting Ehlers in that draft anyways so my angst was all for not.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I have a place on LOTW and this was the first time I golfed in the area due to my kid now playing. We had a great time on the course. I will PM you if we are heading out again this season. I was out most of July but August is more spotty because of lots of visors. Thanks for the offer though we would be up for that if you could handle a kid who started in June and an old hacker who is back at it after a 3 year layoff. :laugh:
Definitely let me know, would absolutely be up for it if the timing worked out. Skill level doesn’t make my prerequisite list for golfing partners, completely irrelevant. :thumbu:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
83, 82, 81 my last three rounds. Petty easy course (124, 70.4, par 72), but still feels pretty good right now. Gonna get another round in before I head back to Sweden for a month (and obviously cram a bunch of golf in there).

MosTLucky

May 25, 2016
What are some of the nicer, higher end courses that are 30 mins or less from the city? I've played Bridges many times but I'm looking for something different, but similar quality. Any suggestions? Thanks!

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
What are some of the nicer, higher end courses that are 30 mins or less from the city? I've played Bridges many times but I'm looking for something different, but similar quality. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Gets kind of thin that close to Winnipeg that's not private. The only semi-private place I get to play is St. B and I'm not sure I'd call it high end (respectfully). I honestly don't know if you can get on to Pine Ridge or Elmhurst but they'd meet the criteria of nice, high end. Same would maybe go for Breezy Bend though I don't know how they run, aside from private. Breezy would be a step down from the other two.

I guess Rossmere fits the bill if you've never played there and it's within the city.

I like Larters, many do not. It's under 30 minutes depending where you're leaving from. Selkirk might fit the bill to. I don't know if I'd call either of them high end, but I enjoy playing at both and both seem to be in good shape owing to the proximity of the river.

Quarry Oaks, Steinbach fly in? Pushing that 30 minute window for sure and I haven't played either in years. Quarry initially tried to go high end, seemed to fail and I haven't been there in 10 plus years. Steinbach hasn't ever been high end, just a very nice community course that I always really enjoyed playing.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Gets kind of thin that close to Winnipeg that's not private. The only semi-private place I get to play is St. B and I'm not sure I'd call it high end (respectfully). I honestly don't know if you can get on to Pine Ridge or Elmhurst but they'd meet the criteria of nice, high end. Same would maybe go for Breezy Bend though I don't know how they run, aside from private. Breezy would be a step down from the other two.

I guess Rossmere fits the bill if you've never played there and it's within the city.

I like Larters, many do not. It's under 30 minutes depending where you're leaving from. Selkirk might fit the bill to. I don't know if I'd call either of them high end, but I enjoy playing at both and both seem to be in good shape owing to the proximity of the river.

Quarry Oaks, Steinbach fly in? Pushing that 30 minute window for sure and I haven't played either in years. Quarry initially tried to go high end, seemed to fail and I haven't been there in 10 plus years. Steinbach hasn't ever been high end, just a very nice community course that I always really enjoyed playing.
I believe Pine, Elmy and Breezy are all private, you would need to know a member.

Winnipeg's nicest courses are generally all private. Some great country courses though: Granite Hills, Falcon Lake, Pinawa, Hecla, Minnewasta, Neepawa.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I believe Pine, Elmy and Breezy are all private, you would need to know a member.

Winnipeg's nicest courses are generally all private. Some great country courses though: Granite Hills, Falcon Lake, Pinawa, Hecla, Minnewasta, Neepawa.

Figured that was the case on the private courses, thanks for clarification.

Country courses are spectacular no question, was trying to meet the 30 minute requirement. Definitely enjoy all the courses listed and used to play them a lot more frequently during my old job when I got to travel around the province most of the summer. Some weeks where I was in the NW part of the ag region I could play all of Gilbert Plains, Clear Lake, Minnedosa and Neepawa in the same week after work. Drive out, work, golf, work, golf, work, golf, work. Go to the east, play Steinbach, Falcon and Pinawa. I miss those days. Now I golf St. B., Windsor, River Oaks, Bridges, Mars and Grand Pines. Not quite the same. Still good though, beggars can't be choosers.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I was on marshal duty at Mars today
I don’t know anything about bears so I didn’t want to get any closer to mom here.
@buggs this might be the one we saw earlier this season.
I saw her last weekend with 2 cubs but I only saw 1 cub today
560683D6-8082-4A2C-A1FE-F8DE8F4E790F.jpeg

Reactions: Jets 31 and buggs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->