GDT: Gold Medal Game: Canada Vs Russia | 1:00PM EST 7PM CET

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Canada had a way easier semifinal and usually what comes after a crushing victory is some kind of a loss if they aren't prepared.

Hoping for a Canadian victory though.

Reactions: jj cale

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Canada had a way easier semifinal and usually what comes after a crushing victory is some kind of a loss if they aren't prepared.

Hoping for a Canadian victory though.
I feel like the absolutely pounding Canada took from Russia a week ago is going to have them pretty prepared for this one.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ll say 4-2 Russia. I’ve thought since before the tournament that they’d win. As long as they are playing Miftakhov, they are the strongest team in this tournament.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Russia's defense are too big/mobile. They box everything to the outside so easily then stop plays instantly along the boards. Canada's D are going to have trouble making accurate first passes, probably go off the glass and attack neutral zone with speed. Cant see Canada winning 5 on 5 game.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Question is are we going to see over 7 goals or under? I could use some extra euros.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Would not surprise me if russia is doped like every other sport. Their stamina was too good yesterday.

Go Canada!

Reactions: hockey20000

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Canadian fans must have bought the package deals because there is a lot of them in the stands for the bronze medal game too I've noticed.

sh1tcatapult

Apr 4, 2007
Chelyabinsk
El Classico in the finals - there's nothing better in international hockey.

Bragin's Swan Song. It's his last WJC. Larionov is next and nobody knows what's gonna come out of it. We have already seen another outstanding russian player, who for the first time became a head coach in the Russian U20. What came out of it and what it cost russian youth hockey. Will see anyway.

I hope to see today Valery Nikolaevich’s signature coaching. Something like the 2011 GMG will be OK.

Games like this - thats why we are watching international hockey, after all. Good luck to both teams. And Go Russia. Of course.

Reactions: jj cale and wacko2

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think the less emotional team takes it.
Canada would have an amazing comeback story if they take it... lose 6-0, the helmet incident, the headbutt etc. I said it when all this happened. I can see the TSN piece on this gold medal playing on repeat on all 5 channels during the holidays for years to come!
Russia is medalling a tonne but no Gold's. I'd be happy for them if they could get a gold. Their program is on the rise. I do feel they are the next 'goalie factory' coming up in the world (Top 2 goalies in Vezina voting last season were Russian, Samsonov is coming on strong and Askarov is going top 10... plus other goalies like Khudobin, Varlomov and Georgiev) YET there weakness coming into this game is which goalie to start. Crazy

For a recap for everyone:

upload_2020-1-5_11-22-41.png

Most medals - Russia
Most golds - Canada

Will it be 18-13 for Canada for Gold's after this or 17-14?

I love it! Let's do this!

Reactions: jj cale and wacko2

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
El Classico in the finals - there's nothing better in international hockey.

Bragin's Swan Song. It's his last WJC. Larionov is next and nobody knows what's gonna come out of it. We have already seen another outstanding russian player, who for the first time became a head coach in the Russian U20. What came out of it and what it cost russian youth hockey. Will see anyway.

I hope to see today Valery Nikolaevich’s signature coaching. Something like the 2011 GMG will be OK.

Games like this - thats why we are watching international hockey, after all. Good luck to both teams. And Go Russia. Of course.
We have to play our absolute best game against you guys today or we don't stand a chance.

Hoping for a traditional Canada-Russia classic win or lose.

Reactions: sh1tcatapult

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Nemchinov, U20 superseries and WJC in Ottawa. Eberle. Lucky as the devil.
Thank you. I'm not a huge fan of the Czechs putting former NHL players on the bench immediately after retiring. I do get former players can make great coaches but I'd prefer those players work their way up instead of being gifted jobs. We currently have Reichel, Spacek, Varada, Elias and Nedved all in important coaching roles.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Thank you. I'm not a huge fan of the Czechs putting former NHL players on the bench immediately after retiring. I do get former players can make great coaches but I'd prefer those players work their way up instead of being gifted jobs. We currently have Reichel, Spacek, Varada, Elias and Nedved all in important coaching roles.
What's Nedved doing these days?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
What's Nedved doing these days?
GM of the National team.. or maybe assistant GM. He's the one that told Vrana they're benching him for a 3rd line KHL player. He's handsome so maybe the Czechs like him behind the mic.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad