GDT: Gold Medal Game: Canada Vs Russia | 1:00PM EST 7PM CET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
If the Russians beat us twice in this tournament, I'll be damned.
Canada seems to get better as the tournament goes on, they were dominant in the quarters and semis. Daws was the goalie for Canada last time against Russia, now it'll be Hofer who is looking like the best goalie in the tournament. Combine that with how Canada has adjusted to the system and big ice, I have a win for Canada regardless of Hayton.

The beginning of the decade (10-14) was rough, but the later part (15-20) is a turnaround for Canada.

Last edited:

FastEddie

Feb 22, 2019
I think the Canadian men's teams can withstand Russia's offense, keep a level head, etc. I don't think teens can so well. I see Russia as favorites here. It could be the sort of game where Canada looks in control until Russia scores 2-3 in the third to win or force OT, and then win in OT.

It is not to Russia's advantage they beat down Canada so bad in the pool play. You gotta believe Canada has watched that tape and they're gaming for it.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
good morning one and all.

coffee is a brewin. time to fire up the grill pan and get me some jalapeño popper grilled cheese sandwiches with a splash of Frank's Red Hot. I have a feeling things are going to get a little spicy in the GMG.

Hope that Hayton is good to go...but not looking good.

Canada with the 4-3 W in a down to the wire, highly charged affair with lots of shenanigans.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Canada is a favorite in this one, they looked really dominant since that loss. If Russia cope with Canada's onslaught at the start and don't take stupid penalties (which is impossible for them) during the game than they will have a chance.

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Lots of early whistles and penalties or the lights might go out again. At least 3 ejections. 6-5 Canada. Hopefully Hofer plays like a future HOFer

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Feel like there was no way they were coming out and saying Hayton is playing regardless of the diagnosis. Not that I am saying he will play....but if he is going to why not just send him out at warmups and leave some doubt.

FreeWalk

Feb 28, 2019
A 4-0 loss would be a good result for Canada given the previous match with Russia.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Canada seems to get better as the tournament goes on, they were dominant in the quarters and semis. Daws was the goalie for Canada last time against Russia, now it'll be Hofer who is looking like the best goalie in the tournament. Combine that with how Canada has adjusted to the system and big ice, I have a win for Canada regardless of Hayton.

The beginning of the decade (10-14) was rough, but the later part (15-20) is a turnaround for Canada.

Do you think time zones affected team Canada at the beginning as well? I know all but 4 Russians were playing all season in their mother countries, much closer to Czech compared to the Canadians.

I’m writing from vacation in Thailand and it’s 7:48pm and dark outside. Jet lag is real, and it’s not the greatest at the beginning but it doesn’t take more than a couple days to overcome.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Think it's going to be a lot closer than in the prelim, even if Hayton is certainly out long term (looks like a separated shoulder to me).

Russia has an edge on D, and I'd give Canada the edge in goal. Better depth at the forward position for Canada, but it's going to get tested with Hayton absence. Pretty evenly matched rosters.

I hope it ends up in with a dramatic goal, either at the end of regulation or in OT after a tying goal with the net empty.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
5-2 Russia.

love the under dog role.

It's all yours Russia. Just toooooo f*** ing good for Canada.

5-2 Russia. Maybe next year Canada.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I have to think Canada will have a much better showing then the first game against Russia fiasco. However, I think this is a motivated Russian team and feel they are just better then the other teams here this year. They were my pick before the tournament started and other then a few troubles they have found themselves in due to penalties and leaky goaltending they have looked the part. I assume askarov rides the bench today and their backup who has looked solid gets the nod today.

I will say Russia takes the gold medal 5-3 today.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Canada is a favorite in this one, they looked really dominant since that loss. If Russia cope with Canada's onslaught at the start and don't take stupid penalties (which is impossible for them) during the game than they will have a chance.
You can't have lost to a team you are facing today 6-0 and come in as the favourite.

Russia is the favourite no matter how some people may want to twist it.

Reactions: Czechboy and NyQuil

The Lemonheads

Peanut Gallery
Feb 2, 2010
Toronto
Canada is a favorite in this one\

Nein! Nein! Nein!

In alot of circles, despite both semi-finals, we are still the underdog. We want to be the underdog.

Are they still the same team that beat us 6-0? Are we still the same team that got beat 6-0?

I hope they think so. ;)

If the Russians beat us twice in this tournament, I'll be damned.

Just watch the Summit Series again. No Russian win will ever come close to erasing that.

Not even if they beat us in the finals this year and next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I have to think Canada will have a much better showing then the first game against Russia fiasco. However, I think this is a motivated Russian team and feel they are just better then the other teams here this year. They were my pick before the tournament started and other then a few troubles they have found themselves in due to penalties and leaky goaltending they have looked the part. I assume askarov rides the bench today and their backup who has looked solid gets the nod today.

I will say Russia takes the gold medal 5-3 today.
Hard to believe swedes were that close beating them.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Canada win this 6-3 Russia fought a hard battle yesterday against Sweden while Canada pretty much had a walk in the park game (No offens to the finns in here that's where showing some class in the Russian-Sweden thread) but from what i saw yesterday the Canadians had a pretty easy game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad