GDT: Gold Medal Game: Canada Vs Russia | 1:00PM EST 7PM CET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Canada has won the Skoda's 26 times, including back to back in 2015, 2016. If it makes you proud seeing Finland beat Canada's C level team congratulations, not much else I can say about that :laugh:
Yes but it s laughable to count the "Skoda-Cup" titles before WWII. In the 20s??? Canada has 36 Mill. inhabitans and Finland 5,5Since 1988 a medal contender, CAN since ancient ;))). In both countries are hockey no 1 sport. Despite Canada can t be sure to beat Suomi. Particulary in the last 5-10 years. The finns increased their youth program. I m sure that the finns now and in future still a very tough opponent for maple leafs. The NHL is surely the best league in the world but overrated too. We saw this in Skoda-Cup 19.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
As expected, the title game GDT devolves into delightful conversation:

"We're the best, hockey is our game"
"It's an u20 tournament, big deal"
"We are historically better than you"
"We beat you with our C team"
"The World Championships don't count"
"Your country is full of doping cheats"

Well done fellas.

Blame it on Jussi above, he just had to bring up the IIHF Skoda's in a rather lame attempt to refute a pretty innocent and factual comment from someone else proclaiming Canada to be the de facto hegemonic hockey power...a fact I think most with even half a functioning brain would admit to be true.

Reactions: Dominance

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Yes but it s laughable to count the "Skoda-Cup" titles before WWII. In the 20s??? Canada has 36 Mill. inhabitans and Finland 5,5Since 1988 a medal contender, CAN since ancient ;))). In both countries are hockey no 1 sport. Despite Canada can t be sure to beat Suomi. Particulary in the last 5-10 years. The finns increased their youth program. I m sure that the finns now and in future still a very tough opponent for maple leafs. The NHL is surely the best league in the world but overrated too. We saw this in Skoda-Cup 19.

The mistake many European hockey fans make is that they seem to think that EVERY player in the NHL is a superstar, I mean the way you guys talk about NHL players at the Skoda's is a bit off, just because they play in the NHL it doesn't mean they are stars, there are a lot of 3rd-4th liners in the NHL. So when Canada sends its C-D team full of NHL players it doesn't mean they are a sure lock to win. NHL players isn't synonymous with superstars and I feel many Europeans think this way.

I feel there is this lack of basic understanding amongst many Europeans in the way they talk about this topic.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
It's all about what have you done for me lately and with the absence of proper best-on-best tournament, The Worlds are the best we got and you're just going to have to accept it! And the point still stand, Team Canada=all NHL players. Team Finland=0 NHL players. Final score: 3-1 Finland.

Please Mr. Jussi, be more sensitive! The most respected medical journals have repeatedly observed that being able to mindlessly repeat "we won a best on best tournament" is highly therapeutic to sexual dysfunction and IPGS (inverse penis growth syndrome). If you start diminishing their hockey supremacy, guess what will start shriveling up into a nubbin again?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Meldonium is an over-the-counter, non-prescription drug that is commonly used throughout Eastern Europe to enhance breathing in cold countries where asthma is prevalent. To be honest, Russians were stunned to learn that it was a banned substance. There is no known medical benefit from Meldonium that enhances athletic performance in the same way that steroids and EPO do. Last I heard, WADA was considering removing it from the banned list.

There is no concerted effort by the NHL or CHL to frequently (game by game) test hockey players for steroids, which is really the only thing of potential benefit in the sport. So there is no way to know how doped up the Canadian team may have been.

On top of the fact that the meldonium ban was bogus... see: Experts say there's little evidence meldonium enhances performance and Effects of Meldonium on Athletes Are Hazy

... the drug was banned with no knowledge of how long it takes to leave the bloodstream. Meaning the U18 players, and some other athletes, may have been banned to taking the stuff before the ban even took effect.

See this article: When WADA goes rogue: how the anti-doping agency got it wrong

On January 1 this year Meldonium was added to the World Anti Doping Code's banned list. In the space of three months more than 170 athletes tested positive with many of them protesting they had stopped using the product before the January 1 deadline. When numerous sports contacted WADA to express such concerns, WADA admitted that perhaps it took longer for Meldonium to leave an athlete's body than their research had predicted

WADA are grifters and zealots, but most importantly Russian hockey players are not to blame for something they cannot control.

Reactions: wacko2

blindpass

May 7, 2010
On top of the fact that the meldonium ban was bogus... see: Experts say there's little evidence meldonium enhances performance and Effects of Meldonium on Athletes Are Hazy

... the drug was banned with no knowledge of how long it takes to leave the bloodstream. Meaning the U18 players, and some other athletes, may have been banned to taking the stuff before the ban even took effect.

See this article: When WADA goes rogue: how the anti-doping agency got it wrong

WADA are grifters and zealots, but most importantly Russian hockey players are not to blame for something they cannot control.
Amazing. So the players were just trying to control their angina. Got it.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
Well, Jussi is a fool. So I suppose I agree.

Jussi, or anyone else, failing to recognize Canadian hockey supremacy is serious business. Must not be allowed. This must be dealt with, here and now; in a Russia/Canada U20 thread.

Carry on.
Stop licking their ass buddy, they're damn proud of the victory they stole from the USSR in 1987, and the hypothetical USSR team of the ' 90s could beat the shit out of them

Last edited:

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Lol. The tears are still flowing three days later? Relax, it’s a tournament for children. It’s just sport.

Reactions: jj cale

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Stop licking their ass buddy, they're damn proud of the victory they stole from the USSR in 1987, and the hypothetical USSR team of the ' 90s could beat the **** out of them

Lol 1987, Punch-up in Piestany.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I think she was referring to the 1987 Canada Cup and the officiating in the final.

Oh well the comment mentioned “stolen medal” and one could say the Finns stole that medal because they were awarded the gold medal once Canada and USSR were disqualified from the tournament. So I thought it was this.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Stop licking their ass buddy, they're damn proud of the victory they stole from the USSR in 1987, and the hypothetical USSR team of the ' 90s could beat the **** out of them

Check your sarcasm detector, it appears to be out of batteries.

Have the best day ever.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Amazing. So the players were just trying to control their angina. Got it.

Huh?
Meldonium is an over-the-counter and widely available drug that's more-often used as supplement for good health, good blood circulation, etc. It's popular with athletes and non-athletes alike. As such, it's one of Latvia's biggest medical exports.

It's not like meldonium was some secret sauce given to olympians behind closed doors.
It's quite obvious that people used the scandal to feed their confirmation bias instead of caring to educate themselves about the drug, the situation, how it was used, etc.

The Meldonium Ban Is More About Russia's Reputation For Doping Than Performance | HuffPost

Reactions: wacko2

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think this thread has really gone off the rails.
In retrospect... there really should've been 4 new threads made:

1. Should the camera play have been a delay of game?
2. Are Russian's dopers/cheaters/bad people?
3. Who is currently the best hockey nation in the world (my 2 cents: with no best on best coming and the last one being a gimmick that is now 4 years old and the last real best on best being 2014 (6 years ago).. . U18, U20, Hlinka, Skoda Cup and current NHL stars should all be factored in)?
4. Do we put the Recklawas in the Canadian Music Hall of fame or just the Music Hall of fame in general?

blindpass

May 7, 2010
Huh?
Meldonium is an over-the-counter and widely available drug that's more-often used as supplement for good health, good blood circulation, etc. It's popular with athletes and non-athletes alike. As such, it's one of Latvia's biggest medical exports.

It's not like meldonium was some secret sauce given to olympians behind closed doors.
It's quite obvious that people used the scandal to feed their confirmation bias instead of caring to educate themselves about the drug, the situation, how it was used, etc.

The Meldonium Ban Is More About Russia's Reputation For Doping Than Performance | HuffPost
The articles you post don't support the statements you make. Vitamin C might support general health but probably isn't taken by half of any elite youth sports team. Point me at something that shows that half the population takes it.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
In retrospect... there really should've been 4 new threads made:

1. Should the camera play have been a delay of game?
2. Are Russian's dopers/cheaters/bad people?
3. Who is currently the best hockey nation in the world (my 2 cents: with no best on best coming and the last one being a gimmick that is now 4 years old and the last real best on best being 2014 (6 years ago).. . U18, U20, Hlinka, Skoda Cup and current NHL stars should all be factored in)?
4. Do we put the Recklawas in the Canadian Music Hall of fame or just the Music Hall of fame in general?
Maybe but it doesn't work that way. it has always been generally acknowledged that whoever has won the last best on best on the senior level claims it is number 1 in the world no matter how far back it has been, It is that way when Canada wins, the Americans claimed they were the best after 96, the Czechs claimed they were the best after 98, and ditto Swedish fans after 2006. The fact that there were 2-4 year gaps had no bearing.

You even see a fan here claiming that it is a what have you done for me lately world and that since Finland won the last whc it could make a claim as best in the world but if the country he roots for had won in Sochi but had not won the last whc you can bet he would be singing a different tune.

These are but the games that fans of all countries play.

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Maybe but it doesn't work that way. it has always been generally acknowledged that whoever has won the last best on best on the senior level claims it is number 1 in the world no matter how far back it has been, It is that way when Canada wins, the Americans claimed they were the best after 96, the Czechs claimed they were the best after 98, and ditto Swedish fans after 2006. The fact that there were 2-4 year gaps had no bearing.

You even see a fan here claiming that it is a what have you done for me lately world and that since Finland won the last whc it could make a claim as best in the world but if the country he roots for had won in Sochi but had not won the last whc you can bet he would be singing a different tune.

These are but the games that fans of all countries play.
See what I mean? Seperate threads. I'll gladly argue everything.lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad