Gold Cup 2019:

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Classic Canada! I was telling you for months that there was no real progress made yet, the loser mentality is still there. Leading 2-0 and losing like that is just incredible.

Congratulations Haïti.

Yep, I think you and me were one of the only ones who knew our chances against Haiti were slim in reality and not "big favorite" like most would think. Idk what we prove as of yet to be considered "that good".

At least it hurts a lot more less :laugh:

biggest chokejob in the history of Gold Cup , leading 2-0 at HT. speechless...

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I still think this team can qualify for 2022 WC (not saying it will be easy)and they should definitely get to the HEX..
Lot of key players with some room to grow still and some good stuff coming up through the ranks.

I realize we will also have some ageing players, trying to look at this with a glass half-full mentality.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Did Canada really lose to Haiti?

Why is it this hard for them?

Sep 19, 2008
Did Canada really lose to Haiti?

Why is it this hard for them?

Because they aren't that good. You're talking about a country that historically has only qualified for only 1 World Cup in their federation's history.

It is also very odd how Canada's women has had more success than their men's side. :laugh:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The thing is that Davies and David are clearly the future of this team, so why wouldn't you be trying to build around that here? Davies should be playing in his natural position, period. If it's club football you have the luxury of getting players to fit your system, at the NT level you have to adapt your system to the players that you have. Davies shouldn't be playing leftback when he's probably already their best player.

Credit to Haiti but that was an epic collapse by Canada.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
That was a very enjoyable 90 minutes to watch. I’ll the extra 1/2 hr gladly.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I still think it is too early to judge him. Not his fault Borjan didn't come out fast enough and Gordino put in that rash challenge.
That's not how it works though. It's him who prepares the team, who selects the players, who puts out bizarre formations and who certainly didn't give a correct speach at the half yesterday. At 2-0 I was saying the team is playing dopey and fancy and they think the game is over...that was everyone playing like that, that's on the coach. Not surprise how it ended.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Because they aren't that good. You're talking about a country that historically has only qualified for only 1 World Cup in their federation's history.

It is also very odd how Canada's women has had more success than their men's side. :laugh:

Available resources is the answer to that question, Canada is able to invest more resources into their women’s program than other less-advanced countries.

Although they should have enough for their men’s program to be much better.

Sep 19, 2008
Available resources is the answer to that question, Canada is able to invest more resources into their women’s program than other less-advanced countries.

Although they should have enough for their men’s program to be much better.
Their men's program is bad. Like really really bad. Herdman made it a little better but they've still got a very long way to go.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Canada’s lack of success is bizarre. At all levels, they are usually third or fourth in the region in pure talent, but barely achieve top ten results in the region.

And there are only three teams in the region who don’t embarrass the region against any half decent team, so if you can’t at least be fourth, 5th vs. 20th is barely any difference.

This might take a few more years for Canada to start seeing better results. They are producing better players.

Reactions: robertmac43
Sep 19, 2008
Like the U.S.?

Very simple reason for this: both countries essentially got in on the ground floor for Women's soccer but their Men's teams only got serious 60-70 years after most of the world.

Not denying that US women are more successful than the men but the men have largely been WC qualifiers since the "Shot heard round the world" in the late 80's which broke a decades long streak of not making the WC (since the 60's IIRC). Canada again has only qualified once in federation history...

Reactions: Pouchkine
Sep 19, 2008
Jack on Canada's loss: 'The biggest capitulation in Canadian men's soccer history'

Despite holding a two-goal lead after the first 45 minutes, the Canadians fell apart in the second half and Haiti looked like a different team, as it scored three unanswered goals to claim the shocking victory and move onto the semifinals of the Gold Cup. Kelcey Brade and Kristian Jack explain how this just adds another disappointing chapter to Canada's men's soccer history.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Canada gave Martinique 4-5 golden chances in the first match. Still the same problems: bad coaching, no leadership on the field, weak losing mentality, lack of quality, no fighting spirit. There's some better talent now but it's not enough when you have such MAJOR weakness.

The defense is terrible as everyone knew but our big players up front did nothing yesterday in the 2nd half against another weak defence. Lots of easy turnovers as well.

So we lost against Mexico with a stupid starting XI and got beaten by Haïti.

Somebody has any positive except the individual talents of Davies (who had a terrible game) and David?

Reactions: Roman Fell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad