Sheldon Keefe out in Toronto

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Sheldon Keefe has been out coached in EVERY SINGLE playoff series he's been including the series he won Vasi was awful in that series but make no mistake Cooper stuffed him in a locker like a high school bully bullying the math club.
As I said, he was nothing special. But no matter who coaches that team, the way the roster is built is gonna remain a problem until they fix it.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Should've been fired after the "respect in that line" comment. Leafs core needed a hard ass and he was too soft.

In his 4.5 years here they failed to qualify for the playoffs his first year, lost 3 times in the 1st round, and got their ass kicked in the 2nd round once.

Just the first of many moves made by the Leafs this off-season.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think he's a good coach but he's been there half a decade and coaches usually don't last much longer then that if they don't have playoff success. Probably time for a new voice, but something also has to be done about that core.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Shanahan has to be next. You can only get rid of so many underlings to mask your ineffectiveness and failure of both vision and implementation of the same, before it is apparent that the problem resides at the top. Shanahan sets the vision, goals and culture of the hockey organization.

No matter how it is sliced, despite some of the workplace improvements he has implemented, ultimately team president is responsible for bringing in the personnel, both from a GM, scouting, coaching and player perspective. Even though he has the GM doing a lot of the heavy lifting for decisions, it is his vision and goal setting that drives the organization forward.

I think from a performance perspective, he has to be next, otherwise, Keefe leaving is just window dressing. Just like Dubas leaving is window dressing to some degree. The problem is, unless Shanahan can do some self-reflection and evaluation and submit his own resignation (fat chance of that), Pelley is going to have to make that hard decision. You can put whatever coach in place - the same culture and the same players aren't going to produce a different result. I think we have seen that already over the years during Shanahan's tenure.

All that said, while I am not a fan of Keefe, I do hope he lands somewhere and hopefully has some success in a different environment.

Reactions: Summer Rose

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Sheldon Keefe has been out coached in EVERY SINGLE playoff series he's been including the series he won Vasi was awful in that series but make no mistake Cooper stuffed him in a locker like a high school bully bullying the math club.

Ya I’m confused as to why a lot of people assume he’s good- dude never seemed to adjust or hold guys accountable. Was surprised there wasn’t more backlash last year, because there was never a good playoff look under him.

Reactions: Summer Rose

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Culture in TO is just so weird. Even tho the stars are good (great even) seems like they're running the show so much cause they think they're gods in earth. Definitely could use a coach that could humble them, but I feel like they'd all take it the wrong way at this point seeing as how sick they obviously think they all are.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
As I said, he was nothing special. But no matter who coaches that team, the way the roster is built is gonna remain a problem until they fix it.

He is the worst coach in the league, a good coach doesn't blow a 3-1 series lead to Montreal.

A good coach doesn't talk about respect in the handshake line.

A good coach doesn't call out his team and then walk back his comments the next day because he's a gutless bitch boy.

Sheldon Keefe did all those things and more.

• Haha
Reactions: stampedingviking

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Shanahan is running out of firing the Coaches, GM's cards. This team was destined to compete for the Cup with Lou at the helm. All he had to do was extend him another 3 years. His misread of hiring Dubas was a domino of disastrous moves too numerous to name that has brought this franchise to this point. Keefe was not the problem but he will be the latest scapegoat until Shanahan can no longer
Yep.

Shanahan is apparently going to be sitting with the CEO & GM tomorrow. Meaning, he is keeping his job.

Question is...why?

Carlyle
That interim
Babcock
Keefe
Dubas
Lou
Nonis

Have all been fired or resigned on his watch. At some point, he needs to face consequences.

Reactions: Foghorn Leghorn

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Keefe has shown he's good with young players on the Marlies. I think he'd fit nicely on a rebuilding Pittsburgh team with a young Gavin McKenna.

How come Sullivan is still there.
I thought his player development left a lot to be desired. Babcock was much better at acclimating and developing young players.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
This core would had probably accomplished much more with Babcock, they really need a coach which holds players accountable. Not the best choice, but probably better than Keefe.

But I get it, Babcock needed to be fired, especially for playing that bum (what was his name, Hymun? Hyman?) too much....

• Haha
Reactions: Pez68

maskingagent

Oct 18, 2016
no surprise really. Not much is going to change after Friday. It will be a modified "rinse and repeat" for Leafsnation. Unfortunately not much will improve in our lifetime. As long as Bell and the Rogers board make the decisions, (would love to know who these people making hockey/basketball/football decision) are ? , I don't care who you bring in as coach, as President, as ceo, its not going be run like it should and the culture will not change.

Reactions: Mosby

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ya I’m confused as to why a lot of people assume he’s good- dude never seemed to adjust or hold guys accountable. Was surprised there wasn’t more backlash last year, because there was never a good playoff look under him.

The reason people think he's good is simple he's got a great regular season record.

That's what happens when you have the best goal scorer on the planet.

Now he doesn't have that and people are going to find out what we already know.

Sheldon Keefe is the worst coach in the league

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad