GM thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
How about you do some research then and bring us some facts to back up your statement? Otherwise this is nothing more then an empty statement from a very biased viewpoint.

I will retract the sub par. He’s middle of the pack. Until he gets a late round gem he stays middle of the pack for me

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I’m a realist not a pessimist.

Trading for rfas is just as hard for every gm as it is for Chevy. What’s your point ?

Pessimism is often disguised as "realism", but that's off topic.

Trading for RFAs is harder than average when you have top heavy talent like the Jets do. You can either overpay, which never works out, or hold out for the right value. Ehlers has high value because of his contract relative to his production, so you don't want to waste that value by overpaying.

I'm not saying Chevy is a perfect GM but he's made more good moves than bad and I think panic trading or overpaying on trades is poor asset management.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Pessimism is often disguised as "realism", but that's off topic.

Trading for RFAs is harder than average when you have top heavy talent like the Jets do. You can either overpay, which never works out, or hold out for the right value. Ehlers has high value because of his contract relative to his production, so you don't want to waste that value by overpaying.

I'm not saying Chevy is a perfect GM but he's made more good moves than bad and I think panic trading or overpaying on trades is poor asset management.

I don’t think he is the worst gm and he has made good moves. And because of his inactivity he has made almost no bad moves. That’s from not taking any chances at all.

My point was just that the hardest gm in the league thing is overblown. Other then that I agree with you he isn’t that bad

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Ok, so what are the other “means” then?

k pal. I see what your doing. I made my point. I’m not going to sit here and scramble for something that is easy to see. Chevy has done good in the first round and not so much in anything after that.

Until he finds a brayden point type of steal in a late round then he is just average or sub par After the first.

I will even go as far as once late round picks start filling out his roster I will change my mind.

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
k pal. I see what your doing. I made my point. I’m not going to sit here and scramble for something that is easy to see. Chevy has done good in the first round and not so much in anything after that.

Until he finds a brayden point type of steal in a late round then he is just average or sub par After the first.

I will even go as far as once late round picks start filling out his roster I will change my mind.
Oh, the best goalie in the league in 2020 doesn't count though. Okay.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Oh, the best goalie in the league in 2020 doesn't count though. Okay.

Yes he does. One of the 3 players outside the first round that play full time for us. I stayed that.

Most goalies are taken in late rounds though. It’s not like it’s a late round steal. Teams everywhere get goalies that way

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
One fact that would be out of 9 drafts Chevy has 3 players on the roster making consistent contributions that were not from the first round.

That’s not amazing by any means

By that metric lets see how well the rest of our division does:

Avalanche - 0 (All of their drafted roster talent is top 10 picks in the draft Mackinnon 1st overall, Ladeskog 2nd overall, Makar 3rd overall, Rantenan and Jost 10th overall)
Dallas - 3 (Lindell, Hintz, and Dickinson)
Wild - 1 (Greenway)
Chicago - 2 (Saad and Debrincat)
Blues - 3 (Binnington, Parayko, Barbashev)
Preds - 3 (Sissons, Arviddsson, Saros)

Looks to me it isn't super easy to draft post first round. The Jets imo have the best player drafted post 1st round in the division in Helle. Copp and Lowry stack up quite well with most of the other players.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
By that metric lets see how well the rest of our division does:

Avalanche - 0 (All of their drafted roster talent is top 10 picks in the draft Mackinnon 1st overall, Ladeskog 2nd overall, Makar 3rd overall, Rantenan and Jost 10th overall)
Dallas - 3 (Lindell, Hintz, and Dickinson)
Wild - 1 (Greenway)
Chicago - 2 (Saad and Debrincat)
Blues - 3 (Binnington, Parayko, Barbashev)
Preds - 3 (Sissons, Arviddsson, Saros)

Looks to me it isn't super easy to draft post first round. The Jets imo have the best player drafted post 1st round in the division in Helle. Copp and Lowry stack up quite well with most of the other players.

Great post. Thanks for that. Maybe I am being a bit hard on this topic

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The odds of any player outside of the 1st round playing impactful, meaningful minutes in the NHL is fairly low. For every Point or Aho there are hundreds of career minor leaguers.

Yup, it just goes to show you just how important first round picks are. You need to hit on them to be successful and luckily for us Chevy has done very well with our first round picks.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003

He's never once taken advantage of another team's situation to add a core talent. Dudley did it 3 times in the span of a year aquiring Ladd, Byfuglien, and Wheeler for scraps.

Chevy hasn't acquired a single long-term core piece (top 6 F, top 4 D) via trade, fa, or the draft (outside of the 1st round). The only time he's traded up to get a player he liked was to pick a bust everyone here saw coming on draft night.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
He's never once taken advantage of another team's situation. Dudley did it 3 times in the span of a year aquiring Ladd, Byfuglien, and Wheeler for scraps.

What cap space have the Jets had to take advantage of that? 10-12 years ago the Thrashers situation was much different than the Jets today.

The Wheeler trade was a TDL deal, wouldn't call that taking advantage unless it was taking advantage of the Bruins wanting to win a Cup

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It's his bloody responsibility to manage the cap and he's done a piss poor job of that too. Ladd would still be on the books right now if he hadn't turned down Chevy's offer.

So Chevy is supposed to have enough cap space to make trades with teams in cap trouble, while making sure he can sign his own RFAs to low enough contracts that allows him to have this space, while also icing a competitive team.

Who are GMs that have done all of this? Maybe one?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So Chevy is supposed to have enough cap space to make trades with teams in cap trouble, while making sure he can sign his own RFAs to low enough contracts that allows him to have this space, while also icing a competitive team.

Who are GMs that have done all of this? Maybe one?

Arizona seems to be the only team that has really weoponized their cap space consistently but it hasn't got them anywhere.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
excuses excuses. , we haven’t overpaid for one player yet. Every player under 26 has no choice but to come here if they get traded as well. There isn’t even that many players with no moves and they don’t all include us anyway. I bet 5 percent of the players have us as a NO.

free agency is a legitimate excuse. But Detroit never had a problem when they were a powerhouse and that city does not have the best rep. When Chevy gets his act together and if we can be a perinatal contender and convince players it’s worth coming here this won’t be an excuse either.

You are completely wrong.and pushing the excuse narritive that is wearing very thin on these boards.
I think you're deluding yourself if you think the Jets location in Winnipeg doesn't present extra challenges in the trade market and UFA market. You can call them "excuses" if it makes you feel better, but they are objective realities.

Winnipeg is at the top of the NHL in no trade lists. That's been shown repeatedly by anonymous agent polls. That limits trade options and is a key indicator of free agent choices.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Arizona seems to be the only team that has really weoponized their cap space consistently but it hasn't got them anywhere.

Carolina has done a decent job at it too, however they got some help with the Aho offer sheet. It can be done, but it takes a specific set of circumstances and some luck.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Carolina has done a decent job at it too, however they got some help with the Aho offer sheet. It can be done, but it takes a specific set of circumstances and some luck.

You also have to be willing to eat a buyout as well ans that is something we are loath to do.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yup, it just goes to show you just how important first round picks are. You need to hit on them to be successful and luckily for us Chevy has done very well with our first round picks.
Yup. Also, how valuable a #10 overall pick is...

Reactions: surixon

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think you're deluding yourself if you think the Jets location in Winnipeg doesn't present extra challenges in the trade market and UFA market. You can call them "excuses" if it makes you feel better, but they are objective realities.

Winnipeg is at the top of the NHL in no trade lists. That's been shown repeatedly by anonymous agent polls. That limits trade options and is a key indicator of free agent choices.

You are correct this is one of the toughest markets when it comes to the No move no trade restrictions and also free agents. I was chatting with a guy from Dallas and he said it’s the opposite there. They get allot of phone calls from agents pitching their clients.

Doesn't make it impossible for us by any means but it makes it harder to get deals done.

Reactions: surixon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad