GM thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
One way of looking at the Jets' off-season so far... In addition to the increased cap hit, the Jets gave up just one 4th round pick (for Stastny).

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
One way of looking at the Jets' off-season so far... In addition to the increased cap hit, the Jets gave up just one 4th round pick (for Stastny).

Interesting take. If the prediction comes true, we increase our spend $6M and are right on the playoff bubble again with, what, 2.33 more points this coming season.

Somehow the Avalanche spend less and get a lot better. There is some solid GM'ing there. Again, if the predictions were to come true.

Last edited:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Interesting take. If the prediction comes true, we increase our spend $6M and are right on the playoff bubble again with, what, 1.33 more points this coming season.

Somehow the Avalanche spend less and get a lot better. There is some solid GM'ing there. Again, if the predictions were to come true.

So you have a problem with getting better? Astounding really.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Interesting take. If the prediction comes true, we increase our spend $6M and are right on the playoff bubble again with, what, 1.33 more points this coming season.

Seems pretty complimentary to the work done by Chevy. We improved the 6th most across the league and 3rd most in the Western Conference at next to no cost of future assets. The teams we are likely in a fight for playoff spots either got worse or improved less than we have.

Reactions: surixon

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Winnipeg Jets
Wins Added: 1.4 wins
Salary Added: $6.0 million
In: Paul Stastny, Derek Forbort, Nate Thompson
Out: Cody Eakin

By all accounts Paul Stastny had a down year, playing at a 44-point pace. Given his age, that’s to be expected, but what he lost in production he made up for in his ability to push play in the right direction with a 56.5 percent expected goals rate. For a Jets team that’s high on talent but low on play-drivers, he’s exactly what they need. He’s already proven in a previous stint with the Jets that he fits well between Patrik Laine and Nikolaj Ehlers, and while he’s not the same player he was then he should still be a strong solution to the team’s search for a second-line centre.
However, the team didn’t really address its issues on the back end yet. Derek Forbort is NHL calibre, which is a big step up from other options last year, but the team still needs more. Nate Thompson isn’t ideal as a fourth-line centre and his presence subtracts value from the team’s offseason.

NHL offseason by the numbers: Which teams have improved the most (and least)?

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Winnipeg Jets
Wins Added: 1.4 wins
Salary Added: $6.0 million
In: Paul Stastny, Derek Forbort, Nate Thompson
Out: Cody Eakin

By all accounts Paul Stastny had a down year, playing at a 44-point pace. Given his age, that’s to be expected, but what he lost in production he made up for in his ability to push play in the right direction with a 56.5 percent expected goals rate. For a Jets team that’s high on talent but low on play-drivers, he’s exactly what they need. He’s already proven in a previous stint with the Jets that he fits well between Patrik Laine and Nikolaj Ehlers, and while he’s not the same player he was then he should still be a strong solution to the team’s search for a second-line centre.
However, the team didn’t really address its issues on the back end yet. Derek Forbort is NHL calibre, which is a big step up from other options last year, but the team still needs more. Nate Thompson isn’t ideal as a fourth-line centre and his presence subtracts value from the team’s offseason.

NHL offseason by the numbers: Which teams have improved the most (and least)?

Well if they don't play Thompson then it isn't an issue really but I have little faith Mauroce will use a better/younger option.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
So you have a problem with getting better? Astounding really.

I want to get better. Is ~2 points worth $6M? That was my question for discussion. Maybe if we make the playoffs it is. But about 2 points puts us still on the playoff bubble. But those are all just predictions by some model and analyst/reporter.

Edit: I should add - I think Stastny is good for more than ~2 points that this model claims. A solid 2nd line centre was a gaping hole in this lineup with talented wingers. If Maurice uses his top 6 forwards properly, we will have a one/two punch that we haven't seen since '17/'18. Gotta be worth a half a dozen points in my homer Jets fan mind.

Then I pointed out that the Avalanche have gotten better by spending less, which is pretty good GMing, again just a prediction.

Last edited:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
We need one more dmen and we will be good imo. Perhaps that dmen is a Samberg who wouldn't show up in that table.
Yes. With another top four d man, this could be considered a really good, maybe great off season imho. Of course, I was hoping for a #1 D man, but Pietra went to Vegas. Anyway, a solid, big, gritty top 4 d man would really round out this roster.

Reactions: surixon

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm one of few fans that'll defend Chevy because I believe not only are we going to get better, but he's done an amazing job. The only bad contracts are Bryan Little and Blake Wheelers (sort of) but he's also got steals out of Hellebuyck, Scheifele, Ehlers, Morrissey, Byfuglien, and if we didn't have Chevy we'd likely have someone a lot worse... or Craig Heisinger.

I can almost bet if Chevy got fired today we'd all be saying, 'We shouldn't have fired Chevy.' Because believe it or not, he will not have any problems at all finding work.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I'm one of few fans that'll defend Chevy because I believe not only are we going to get better, but he's done an amazing job. The only bad contracts are Bryan Little and Blake Wheelers (sort of) but he's also got steals out of Hellebuyck, Scheifele, Ehlers, Morrissey, Byfuglien, and if we didn't have Chevy we'd likely have someone a lot worse... or Craig Heisinger.

I can almost bet if Chevy got fired today we'd all be saying, 'We shouldn't have fired Chevy.' Because believe it or not, he will not have any problems at all finding work.

No, we wouldn't all be saying that. Unless you mean "all" figuratively, not literally. In which case, there are several excellent words to choose from including most, some or my personal favourite, a few. :nod:

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Imagine thinking, signing a 35 year old to a to 3 year contract for over 8 million a year is a good idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad