GM thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
10 years is way too much. Please leave and next guy/gal be a real GM and keep Chipman in his place

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
10 years is way too much. Please leave and next guy/gal be a real GM and keep Chipman in his place

Ouch. Like another poster said, hardest GM job in the business. Most players will not choose Winnipeg as a trade destination or a FA destination. I'd give Chevy a B+ for what he has done in 10 years. I don't know how much control he had in the Buff fallout, he genuinely seemed caught off guard by the events. Can't control losing a key centre to a career injury. I mean that's the challenges he faced. People would have really gone after him for trading Trouba after a WCF appearance. And Trouba's not a team player anyways, so good riddance. People would have chewed him up if he signed Tanev, Chiarot and Myers to what they got on the market, as we would have had to make significant changes to do so.

Jets have talent. Jets have heart. Jets have goaltending.

Jets are competitive.

Alot of that has to do with tough decisions Chevy has made, and drafting well, which no one can say he hasn't done.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
We all know the next GM will be Zinger or Maurice! It would be the most TSNE ever.
How he ever let Kelly McCrimmon get out of the province is hard to swallow. He was easily the best GM/owner in the WHL for 20 years. Instead we have Zinger.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
We all know the next GM will be Zinger or Maurice! It would be the most TSNE ever.
How he ever let Kelly McCrimmon get out of the province is hard to swallow. He was easily the best GM/owner in the WHL for 20 years. Instead we have Zinger.
Ya but Zinger is really good with equipment. :naughty: :laugh:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

I dont believe Zinger wants the responsibility of being an NHL GM. Had he wanted it he would have been hired as GM in the first place.

I think he is quite happy in his current role, it gives him the time to focus on some of the orgs other initiatives like project 11 that he is passionate about.

Reactions: voyageur
Nov 24, 2006
Chevy’s done a fantastic job.

Take away a few mis-steps like the Mason, Kulikov, and maybe Perreault contracts and he’s hit this GM thing out of the park.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014

Take away a few mis-steps like the Mason, Kulikov, and maybe Perreault contracts and he’s hit this GM thing out of the park.
There’s was nothing wrong with both contracts. They both filled a need at the time. Kulikov was basically mostly that was available at the time. I was hoping they’d sign him. Sure he didn’t turn out as good as I wanted him to be but hindsight is 20/20. Perreault was a terrific play driving player that could fill in at centre in a pinch. You need the depth to get anywhere. He just crashed a bit sooner then he should have. He’s not that old really.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Ya, you gotta figure being a GM in Winnipeg has extra issues other GM's don't have to deal with.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Like being micro-managed by Chipman? Just asking a question. For a friend.
Granted there are only 32 of these jobs available but one would think that the top tallent might be a little hesitant taking a gig. And if it ever did happen I wouldn't bank on an out of the box hire. Likely a recylcled hire.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
There’s was nothing wrong with both contracts. They both filled a need at the time. Kulikov was basically mostly that was available at the time. I was hoping they’d sign him. Sure he didn’t turn out as good as I wanted him to be but hindsight is 20/20. Perreault was a terrific play driving player that could fill in at centre in a pinch. You need the depth to get anywhere. He just crashed a bit sooner then he should have. He’s not that old really.

Kulikov was available because he was coming off a major back injury that limited him to 47 games the previous year. What GM in their right mind would give a borderline Dman that has just come off a major back injury a 3 year $12odd million contract. You guessed it. Your man Chevy. Hell Kulikov said at the beginning of this year that his back was finally back to normal which is convenient considering this was the last year of his contract and we have already paid him over $8m.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Kulikov was overpaid but did what he was supposed to and helped solidify our defense.

Him and Myers formed one of the best third pairs in league for two seasons and he performed well on the second pairing with Pionk this season.

Really no real complaints with what he did for us. I would hardly use that acquisition S a strike against Chevy.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
Kulikov was overpaid but did what he was supposed to and helped solidify our defense.

Him and Myers formed one of the best third pairs in league for two seasons and he performed well on the second pairing with Pionk this season.

Really no real complaints with what he did for us. I would hardly use that acquisition S a strike against Chevy.

You don't think paying $4 million a year for a 3rd pairing is too much? I guess if your already paying Myers $5 million a year to play on your 3rd pairing $4 million is a deal.

Roughneck1

Aug 9, 2014
Kulikov was available because he was coming off a major back injury that limited him to 47 games the previous year. What GM in their right mind would give a borderline Dman that has just come off a major back injury a 3 year $12odd million contract. You guessed it. Your man Chevy. Hell Kulikov said at the beginning of this year that his back was finally back to normal which is convenient considering this was the last year of his contract and we have already paid him over $8m.
We needed a defenseman at the time. There wasn’t much available. I would have liked a two year term but the reason we got him is probably because of the extra year. Absolutely there was risk involved. He was a decent dman in his time here. Last year was actually probably his best.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Ouch. Like another poster said, hardest GM job in the business. Most players will not choose Winnipeg as a trade destination or a FA destination. I'd give Chevy a B+ for what he has done in 10 years. I don't know how much control he had in the Buff fallout, he genuinely seemed caught off guard by the events. Can't control losing a key centre to a career injury. I mean that's the challenges he faced. People would have really gone after him for trading Trouba after a WCF appearance. And Trouba's not a team player anyways, so good riddance. People would have chewed him up if he signed Tanev, Chiarot and Myers to what they got on the market, as we would have had to make significant changes to do so.

Jets have talent. Jets have heart. Jets have goaltending.

Jets are competitive.

Alot of that has to do with tough decisions Chevy has made, and drafting well, which no one can say he hasn't done.

The trade thing is exaggerated. Plenty of rfas In the NHL don’t have a say in where they are traded too

Reactions: wgpsensfan

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
You don't think paying $4 million a year for a 3rd pairing is too much? I guess if your already paying Myers $5 million a year to play on your 3rd pairing $4 million is a deal.

Welcome to UFA where most players are overpaid for what they will contribute. Kulikov filled a need and worked out ok for us.

It certainly wasn't crippling contract like Alzner in Montreal who spent a good two years in the AHL on that deal and still has two years remaining.
The Leafs had to pay a 1st to get out of the Marleau three year deal etc.

Reactions: KingBogo

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
***Mark Stuart’s contract extension has just entered the chat***

upload_2020-8-31_20-46-4.png

Lest we forget...

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Chevy hasn’t done much outside of the first round.
Lots of goalies are taken in the later rounds
Copp and Lowry and that’s about it.

He is on par with first round picks I would say but he has drafted a bunch of soft players that have turned this team into a pushover.

His job on the defense was good for 2 years out of his entire tenure with last years being the worst.

I will still wait to see what he does this off season before I judge once and for all. If he gets a couple complementary players to round out the D and goes with what he has i think it’s time to go

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I'd put Toby Enstrom's 5 year/$5.75 AAV in there too. If there was a player in clear decline at the end of his contract, Toby was exhibit A. For what it is worth Stuart has one more goal, and point than Enstrom in 11 less playoff games for the Jets. But all of those moves were made on a team that wasn't yet deep in talent or prospects. That's where Chevy deserves credit, because the decisions get harder once you start winning. Couldn't trade Trouba for max value because of the WCF appearance. The Stastny trade gave fans expectations to stay at the level he brought us to.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'd put Toby Enstrom's 5 year/$5.75 AAV in there too. If there was a player in clear decline at the end of his contract, Toby was exhibit A. For what it is worth Stuart has one more goal, and point than Enstrom in 11 less playoff games for the Jets. But all of those moves were made on a team that wasn't yet deep in talent or prospects. That's where Chevy deserves credit, because the decisions get harder once you start winning. Couldn't trade Trouba for max value because of the WCF appearance. The Stastny trade gave fans expectations to stay at the level he brought us to.

Enstrom was a strong contributor for us for his time here. He wasn't at all in decline at the start. He just changed his game to a more defensive one as Buff was the offensive player here. No issue with that contract.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

I'd add the Hayes trade also. Bubble team in need of a 2C /bluechip prospects trades a 1st for a capable player who fails to move the needle and ends up down the lineup despite his solid points %. Also the Hendricks trade -- only a 7th, but if you need to trade for locker-room heroes because a playoff team lacks motivation. then your coach isn't doing his job -- so talk to the coach and save the pick.

I don't have a lot of complaints with Chevy -- but in a cap league in a small market creativity and thinking ahead of the pack are increasingly important attributes IMO.

Reactions: sipowicz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad