GM thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Carolina has done a decent job at it too, however they got some help with the Aho offer sheet. It can be done, but it takes a specific set of circumstances and some luck.
Yup. Bergevin probably helped the Canes in the short term with that lame offer sheet. But the Canes are not going to like it much when Aho gets to UFA status in 4 years at age 26.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Yup. Bergevin probably helped the Canes in the short term with that lame offer sheet. But the Canes are not going to like it much when Aho gets to UFA status in 4 years at age 26.
The best part of that sheet was all the upfront money. If I recall it was explained that with all that upfront cash it would have basically eaten any profits the Canes would have made in the first 2 years.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The best part of that sheet was all the upfront money. If I recall it was explained that with all that upfront cash it would have basically eaten any profits the Canes would have made in the first 2 years.
and that was before pandemic too....

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I've always supported Chevy on these boards, and I guess that's because of his draft and develop program, and some last minute trades he's made. He's done a fabulous job there.

What I'm finding out that I don't like, is that he doesn't know how to say "goodbye"

1) He was prepared to sign Ladd for $ 5 to 5.5 mil -- a total waste of money. I wouldn't have gave Ladd any more than $ 3 mil, or I'd let him walk.

2) Now he signs Wheeler at 33 yrs old for $ 8.5 mil per season over 5 years ?? Very bad deals -- both of them. It's very clear that lately Wheeler has slowed down a lot, and his decline is just beginning.

It's either Chevy or Chipman ( or both together) calling the shots on these washed up veterans, but you have to be able to separate your emotions, from intellect, and let common sense rule.

If it is Chevy calling the shots on these veteran contracts, I'm not impressed at all. That Wheeler contract will really hurt the Jets, especially when he hits 35 plus years of age.

Is Chevy a good GM ?? -- I do wonder about that now ??? If you consider what I've mentioned above -- you'd have to say "no" unless it's Chipman calling the shots on these big contracts.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I've always supported Chevy on these boards, and I guess that's because of his draft and develop program, and some last minute trades he's made. He's done a fabulous job there.

What I'm finding out that I don't like, is that he doesn't know how to say "goodbye"

1) He was prepared to sign Ladd for $ 5 to 5.5 mil -- a total waste of money. I wouldn't have gave Ladd any more than $ 3 mil, or I'd let him walk.

2) Now he signs Wheeler at 33 yrs old for $ 8.5 mil per season over 5 years ?? Very bad deals -- both of them. It's very clear that lately Wheeler has slowed down a lot, and his decline is just beginning.

It's either Chevy or Chipman ( or both together) calling the shots on these washed up veterans, but you have to be able to separate your emotions, from intellect, and let common sense rule.

If it is Chevy calling the shots on these veteran contracts, I'm not impressed at all. That Wheeler contract will really hurt the Jets, especially when he hits 35 plus years of age.

Is Chevy a good GM ?? -- I do wonder about that now ??? If you consider what I've mentioned above -- you'd have to say "no" unless it's Chipman calling the shots on these big contracts.

Your post basically boils down to: "Is Chevy a bad GM because he overpaid the team captain and point leader by a little bit and almost signed Ladd, even though we've never received confirmation that he did actually offer anything?"

He does know how to say goodbye: he said goodbye to Myers, Chiarot and Tanev last off-season, in fact, not trading them before their contracts expired is one reason why some people say he's a bad GM.

Reactions: Whileee

Whileee

May 29, 2010

That Wheeler contract is a bit too much and a bit too long, but I think it was important to keep the core together with veteran leadership. Wheeler can still play.

Overall, Chevy has done a very good job on contracts and the cap situation. Scheifele and Ehlers are outstanding contracts - among the best in the league, all things considered. Connor is a very good contract. Morrissey and Hellebuyck are, too. So overall, the Jets have done a very good job in cap management.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That Wheeler contract is a bit too much and a bit too long, but I think it was important to keep the core together with veteran leadership. Wheeler can still play.

Overall, Chevy has done a very good job on contracts and the cap situation. Scheifele and Ehlers are outstanding contracts - among the best in the league, all things considered. Connor is a very good contract. Morrissey and Hellebuyck are, too. So overall, the Jets have done a very good job in cap management.

Yeah Chevy has done very well with his RFA deals. I thinkbhe has been hit and mias with his vet deals though.

Stuart was just dumb
Little the capnhit was ok but 6 years for a 30 year old second line at the time player was too rich.
Buff was a good deal
Toby may have been a bit too high given the decline in offense but he still provided good defensive value
Wheeler's deal isn't going to age well
Perrault was signed a year too long

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
He does know how to say goodbye: he said goodbye to Myers, Chiarot and Tanev last off-season, in fact, not trading them before their contracts expired is one reason why some people say he's a bad GM.

Did Chevy break up with and move on from Myers, Chiarot and Tanev, or did they break up with him?

Not trading them adds to the ‘can’t say goodbye’ narrative.

Chevy needs to acquire key young future pieces, and not just through the draft, that stay and be apart of the young core.

The only player that can maybe fit that description currently is Pionk. He needs to acquire a 2C and top pairing dman, but his track record doesn’t leave me too confident he will.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Your post basically boils down to: "Is Chevy a bad GM because he overpaid the team captain and point leader by a little bit and almost signed Ladd, even though we've never received confirmation that he did actually offer anything?"

You do make a point " sort of" as he did try to sign Chiarot and Tanev, but they chose to sign elsewhere -- especially Chiarot. As for Myers, he did say goodbye, because he wanted way too much money. Also at this time Chevy was expecting Buff to return, so you have to factor this in.

When Wheeler turns 35, he will decline rapidly, and that will turn out to be a burden contract for the Jets.

Chevy likes his veterans, but I think history proves you build championship teams with a good young core.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Only in Winnipeg would you rather have the 27 year old defenseman with 7 career NHL goals coming off a 10 point season, than the 26 year old defenseman with 62 career goals.
Dumba will cost you a very good player and/or prospect and an extra $3 million in cap space. Also, Dumba doesn't defend well, and the Jets desperately need D that can defend their own zone.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

You do make a point " sort of" as he did try to sign Chiarot and Tanev, but they chose to sign elsewhere -- especially Chiarot. As for Myers, he did say goodbye, because he wanted way too much money. Also at this time Chevy was expecting Buff to return, so you have to factor this in.

When Wheeler turns 35, he will decline rapidly, and that will turn out to be a burden contract for the Jets.

Chevy likes his veterans, but I think history proves you build championship teams with a good young core.
Dallas has Pavelski, Perry, Comeau, and Radulov. Wheeler is in outstanding shape and should be effective through most of his contract.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I sure hope he doesn't trade Ehlers for Dumba.

Connor, Ehlers, Helle, and Scheifele you just don't trade, unless the return is huge and you just can't say no too. These young guys on affordable contracts are your future core.

As for Laine, I'd trade him, and fill in the weak spots the Jets have to address, and his goal scoring ability, would bring a great return, and we have enough goal scorers to fill in for Laine.

I know a lot of posters will not agree, but this is what I'd do if I was GM.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Dallas has Pavelski, Perry, Comeau, and Radulov. Wheeler is in outstanding shape and should be effective through most of his contract.

I hope your right on Wheeler, but I don't like what I see there. You never know tho -- if he keeps in really good shape, and still has desire to play, I guess he could help the team, especially in the next 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad