GM thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Dumba will cost you a very good player and/or prospect and an extra $3 million in cap space. Also, Dumba doesn't defend well, and the Jets desperately need D that can defend their own zone.

It's a tough one for me. Because you need roles. If we re-sign Demelo well that makes Pionk our best RD, is that enough to go far?

I get caught on the defending well part, because I'm not sure how Dumba doesn't defend well. I mean if you remove this past season, I think the aggregate of statistics would have Dumba and De Melo on par. However Dumba is a bigger minute defenseman. Then I go back to the fact the he is a Regina boy, and a former teammate of Morrissey on Team Canada, and maybe there is a chemistry that isn't measurable that could have an impact. Because unequivocally Dumba is a better skater. The small defensemen narrative continues though, which is why I hope we sign Hamonic. And would love to draft Schneider.

The other things that I get caught on are if we see Heinola as the future PP QB, is Dumba blocking that route. Or do we have to move Pionk down the road? And do we have strong enough PKers? If we don't re-sign Demelo, well then I would say Hamonic leads the PK, maybe with Beaulieu/Samberg, and Morrissey-Dumba become the 2nd unit. So it's at least conceivably workable to me.

As for value, well a top pair RD is hard to find, we had 2 of them. I said Roslovic, Poolman, and the 2021 1st. It gives the Jets a chance for this year. Laine is good for a 1st if we cross that bridge where we do trade him, but we address a major need this offseason to make this team competitive.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

You do make a point " sort of" as he did try to sign Chiarot and Tanev, but they chose to sign elsewhere -- especially Chiarot. As for Myers, he did say goodbye, because he wanted way too much money. Also at this time Chevy was expecting Buff to return, so you have to factor this in.

When Wheeler turns 35, he will decline rapidly, and that will turn out to be a burden contract for the Jets.

Chevy likes his veterans, but I think history proves you build championship teams with a good young core.

Two of the oldest teams in the NHL are currently in the Stanley Cup Final. I admit I thought youth was the only way and the Stars would crater but it worked for them.

Trying to re-sign Tanev and Chiarot is fine, he didn't overpay to get them to stay.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Two of the oldest teams in the NHL are currently in the Stanley Cup Final. I admit I thought youth was the only way and the Stars would crater but it worked for them.

Trying to re-sign Tanev and Chiarot is fine, he didn't overpay to get them to stay.

Chevy spent the last 9 years getting younger but experience always prevails.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

No telling how that would have gone with a full season and no long lay off either. This could be a one off.

Reactions: ps241

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
I remember a few years ago Dallas started to turn around and I wish that we had their management. They missed the playoffs the next year, and a few people jumped on me. Well well well. How the turntables have turned.

Good management is good management.

That's why the Oilers are always a garbage team, and why we're always going to be mediocre. Lukewarm dishwater.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I strongly believe that a good GM will have his core group and build around it.

It took 9 years to build the core.

Im sure this is Chevy core moving forward​

Schiefele
Morrissey
Helly
Laine
Connor
Ehlers

Before this group was supporting
Little
Wheeler
Enstrom
Byfuglien
Pavelec

Now the new core should be supported by
Heinola
Samberg
Harkins
Etc...

You move trades or get UFA to make that core a cup contender again.....

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I strongly believe that a good GM will have his core group and build around it.

It took 9 years to build the core.

Im sure this is Chevy core moving forward​

Schiefele
Morrissey
Helly
Laine
Connor
Ehlers

Before this group was supporting
Little
Wheeler
Enstrom
Byfuglien
Pavelec

Now the new core should be supported by
Heinola
Samberg
Harkins
Etc...

You move trades or get UFA to make that core a cup contender again.....

You forgot wheeler at the top of the current core

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
No telling how that would have gone with a full season and no long lay off either. This could be a one off.

The Blues had an average age of 27.5 last season, among the older teams, and Washington was also one of the oldest teams in the league the year before that. The Hawks and Pens teams that won on ELCs to big stars seems to he trending downwards.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
You forgot wheeler at the top of the current core

I didn't forget Wheeler.
He is part of the old core.
The new core should be the prime time players. Captain should be secondary role. I dont mean 4th line. He will still be very effective i think with less minutes. Right now his minutes are more than his age and body could handle. There is no wrong with that. He had a lot of miles in him the last 4 - 5 years. There are freak of nature like Ovie, Selanne, Lebron James? But for most it catches up on you.
Its going to be a very expensive player moving forward.

But yeah I'm not Maurice so he is on top of that current core :laugh:

You are very right, indeed.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I didn't forget Wheeler.
The new core should be the prime time players. Captain should be secondary role. I dont mean 4th line. He will still be very effective i think with less minutes. Right now his minutes are more than his age and body could handle. There is no wrong with that. He had a lot of miles in him the last 4 - 5 years. There are freak of nature like Ovie, Selanne, Lebron James? But for most it catches up on you.

He's top 10 in the NHL for points over the last three seasons. I dont doubt Wheeler will slightly decline over the length of his deal but I have to scratch my head when I see posters saying he's obviously declined. He's still good for at least 70 points per year.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
He's top 10 in the NHL for points over the last three seasons. I dont
He's top 10 in the NHL for points over the last three seasons. I dont doubt Wheeler will slightly decline over the length of his deal but I have to scratch my head when I see posters saying he's obviously declined. He's still good for at least 70 points per year.

Yup he was.

Its like Saying Laine is bad now cause people saying he dont get 40 goals anymore.

Only difference is Laine is 22 next season. Wheeler is 12 years older.

Anyways.
There has been a lot of breakdown of Wheelers point the last 4 years. Specially the 5 on 5 decline.

There is the reason why i said he will be very good if minutes is lower. As he can be utilize more with his strength 》》 not as tired. He is at his best when he is galloping and a hybride playmaker power forward. Jets need a good wheeler but over using him moving forward is not very good player management. We are not talking about a young Wheeler he will be mid 30s

Wheeler also is top 10 all time in empty net points i believe. Or top 10 active players.

Wheeler crazy point jumped 4 years ago coincide with his power play points jumping significantly. Before that his power play production was ? Ok , average. Not great.

I scratch my head also when people don't think he hasn't regress 5 on 5.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
He's top 10 in the NHL for points over the last three seasons. I dont

Yup he was.

Its like Saying Laine is bad now cause people saying he dont get 40 goals anymore.

Only difference is Laine is 22 next season. Wheeler is 12 years older.

Anyways.
There has been a lot of breakdown of Wheelers point the last 4 years. Specially the 5 on 5 decline.

There is the reason why i said he will be very good if minutes is lower. As he can be utilize more with his strength 》》 not as tired. He is at his best when he is galloping and a hybride playmaker power forward. Jets need a good wheeler but over using him moving forward is not very good player management. We are not talking about a young Wheeler he will be mid 30s

Wheeler also is top 10 all time in empty net points i believe. Or top 10 active players.

Wheeler crazy point jumped 4 years ago coincide with his power play points jumping significantly. Before that his power play production was ? Ok , average. Not great.
Right now Jets power play is not as potent also. Unless something else drastically change.

I scratch my head also when people don't think he hasn't regress 5 on 5.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I didn't forget Wheeler.

I agree with you but I just wanted to state the obvious too haha

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Wait, I thought the Wings, Hawks, Habs, Leafs, Rangers and Bruins were the oldest teams......never mind....:help:

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

He is far from top 10 5v5 pp60

His stats are heavily padded by pplay, en situations. This season he was about 130th pp60 for forwards. Forwards that played 20+ games. Solid second line forward being paid as an elite first line driver.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

His stats are heavily padded by pplay, en situations. This season he was about 130th pp60 for forwards. Forwards that played 20+ games. Solid second line forward being paid as an elite first line driver.

Sure, I'd rate him a borderline 1st line player instead of fully entrenched as a second, but I'm not calling him some world beater. Just that I haven't seen him fall off this production cliff that I've seen some say here.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

I don’t like the word padded by pp in this circumstance. His pp stats are mostly primary assists made by his vision of the half wall.

padded would be Troubas secondary assists passing to him and letting wheels do the work

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Sure, I'd rate him a borderline 1st line player instead of fully entrenched as a second, but I'm not calling him some world beater. Just that I haven't seen him fall off this production cliff that I've seen some say here.
I respect your point of view.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I don’t like the word padded by pp in this circumstance. His pp stats are mostly primary assists made by his vision of the half wall.

padded would be Troubas secondary assists passing to him and letting wheels do the work

I get where you are coming from. The word is subjective. I think either his vision or mobility from the half wall has worsened over time, or both. Our powerplay now often dies on the half wall after the puck finds it way to Wheeler there. Maybe it is also influenced by the fact that we have no real powerplay threat on the point.

Reactions: jetswin

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
I get where you are coming from. The word is subjective. I think either his vision or mobility from the half wall has worsened over time, or both. Our powerplay now often dies on the half wall after the puck finds it way to Wheeler there. Maybe it is also influenced by the fact that we have no real powerplay threat on the point.

I remember the couple of games where they put Ehlers on the half wall and the powerplay looked fantastic. He should probably be there full time, IMO.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

I agree with everything you said. Our pp is A3 house league IMO

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I didn't forget Wheeler.

Also forgot Adam Lowry and Copp. If anyone believes that we are going to plug Gustafsson night in night out against top NHL players and come out like roses off the hop, they are in for some surprises.

Reactions: PhilJets

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Also forgot Adam Lowry and Copp. If anyone believes that we are going to plug Gustafsson night in night out against top NHL players and come out like roses off the hop, they are in for some surprises.

I didnt forget them. They are good players in their own right, at the bottom 6. I prefer to keep them.
But great team can go back up again in short time like a year or 2 the most when they
Are able to rotate these type of players.
Fresh support players. Best ELC guys.

Keep your core that you build, unless they want out. Make them happy.
And reload the secondary guys.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I didnt forget them. They are good players in their own right, at the bottom 6. I prefer to keep them.
But great team can go back up again in short time like a year or 2 the most when they
Are able to rotate these type of players.
Fresh support players. Best ELC guys.

Keep your core that you build, unless they want out. Make them happy.
And reload the secondary guys.

I don't know about that. If we look at recent winners. Strength up the middle is key. Defense is solid. Especially top 4. And goalie is hot.

Lowry for me is a long term investment, core player. Anchors your checking line. The way that Eller, or Bozak, Bonino or Bolland did. I think we are dangerously close to teams that had star power but couldn't get over the top, because of depth, like San Jose or Toronto.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Coach need to manage his ice time.
He has no gas at the end.

We need a formidable captain if the team gonna make some noise.
But he is not young anymore.
Anybody can exercise and be strong.
But genetically as you get older the recovery period suffer.
Younger guys dont need much break and you can throw them out again after another shift.
Older guys you need longer time.
Also the wear and tear breaks you down faster during long season for older guys.

Coach need to trust more now the younger guys moving forward, they are the future Nd the future is now.

Wheeler went from 20 points power play guy to 40-50 points power player guy 4 years ago.
Moving forward this is where he needs to keep his production. His 5on5 will drop and drop now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad