GM Chuck Fletcher (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Serious question, does anyone else feel like Holmgren might try to have to much input with this new gm?

I don't know if he is, or if he would, but I am scared that he might. On the other hand, he is a good talent evaluator of pro players, and whoever has been doing that recently is complete garbage. So I guess I wouldn't mind if he shared his thoughts on a player's abilities, and then went and had a Werther's Original with Boyd Gordon and shut the **** up.

rajaampat

Jan 11, 2019
Serious question, does anyone else feel like Holmgren might try to have to much input with this new gm?
No, otherwise something stupid might have happened already. It was discussed elsewhere about the players that were moved already are smallish/perimeter/shown their ceiling-and in the case of Dale Weisse (sp) to be a fly on the wall..I saw him dog it too many games.
Even the Leier-Bailey trade shows his preference for larger/heavier players as he built the Wild. Its not a move towards goons, mostly all the Western conference teams are heavy teams, large, solid on skates, harder to move off the puck....I think he is taking a very measured and patient within realism about the team... New coach will likely dictate a style though you can expect a wider mix than BPA smallish skill guys coming in.

Reactions: kelmitchell

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I'm on the fence with Stone. There's going to be a lot of money thrown his way and with the Flyers already having big contracts on the books plus contracts that will be needed for Provorov, Sanheim, Konecny, Patrick, etc.....They just got out of salary cap hell and the last thing I want to see is them go back into it. As well, I'm not sure that as a player, Stone is going to age well. The skating part is what worries me. The smarts might be there as he gets older, but I'm not sure the skating will.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
knowing the flyers fo they are going to be in on bob, panarin, stone, maybe ek if he makes it in fa. it would in awesome if they somehow get all of them, that will be a pipe dream but when it comes to the flyers fo, anything is possible and fletch got both zach and sutter.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I think Stone is an amazing player, and I'll be very happy if we get him, but I strongly prefer Panarin, who would be the most skilled Flyers winger since Mark Recchi. Panarin's probably better than Recchi tbh.

Reactions: dag54

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
So by Fletch saying that.

He hope's all players are going to be playing better.
Also brings up trade value for certain players.
Trades those players whose value goes up.
For a better return than before him saying that.

I like him saying what he said when he said it.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Fletch killed War on Ice when he was the Wild GM.

WILD PAIR ANALYTICS WITH COACHES' INSTINCTS TO GET MOST OUT OF PLAYERS | Iowa Wild

Mandrycky and Andrew Thomas, the Wild’s leading data researcher, are the ones responsible for coming up with “a lot of stuff.”

Chuck Fletcher, then Minnesota’s general manager, hired the two analysts who had attracted attention through Thomas’ development of the website War on Ice, which tracked statistical information from NHL games. Mandrycky, a Georgia Tech graduate, had joined the staff initially as a volunteer.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I'm on the fence with Stone. There's going to be a lot of money thrown his way and with the Flyers already having big contracts on the books plus contracts that will be needed for Provorov, Sanheim, Konecny, Patrick, etc.....They just got out of salary cap hell and the last thing I want to see is them go back into it. As well, I'm not sure that as a player, Stone is going to age well. The skating part is what worries me. The smarts might be there as he gets older, but I'm not sure the skating will.

Agreed, pass entirely on Stone. Given the league's emphasis on speed, I'm not sure I want him, even if we could afford him. As good as he is, blazing speed is not exactly his thing. And we've got Konecny and Voracek at RW already, with Simmonds about to depart (I hope).

If we hadn't wasted $7 in cap room for the next four years on JVR, it might've been a consideration, but we know they want to add an expensive vet Dman as UFA or via trade. Unless JVR or Jake are getting dealt, we really can't afford another big ticket winger.

On top of that, we've got LOADS of great F prospects in the AHL or coming up, let's leave some room for few out of Aube-Kubel, Vorobyev, Bailey, Bunnaman, Frost, Farabee, Rubtsov, Ratcliffe, Allison, Laczynski etc. to make the team in the next 3-4 years....

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
knowing the flyers fo they are going to be in on bob, panarin, stone, maybe ek if he makes it in fa. it would in awesome if they somehow get all of them, that will be a pipe dream but when it comes to the flyers fo, anything is possible and fletch got both zach and sutter.
The Flyers won't be in on Bob

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Looks like the Flyers are trying to add another person for the analytics department.

I guess in theory that's fine. But with Minnesota firing OG Fletcher hire, Andrew Thomas -- one of the biggest figures in hockey analytics and the creator of war-on-ice (with a PhD in Statistics from Harvard for good measure) -- keeping Ian Anderson is a pretty meh look to me. Call me skeptical that he was of any real use in the Hextall years, or that he will find himself useful in the future. He always reeked of being a "hockey guy" stats hire.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Looks like the Flyers are trying to add another person for the analytics department.

I guess in theory that's fine. But with Minnesota firing OG Fletcher hire, Andrew Thomas -- one of the biggest figures in hockey analytics and the creator of war-on-ice (with a PhD in Statistics from Harvard for good measure) -- keeping Ian Anderson is a pretty meh look to me. Call me skeptical that he was of any real use in the Hextall years, or that he will find himself useful in the future. He always reeked of being a "hockey guy" stats hire.

Sitting on a park bench...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad