GM Chuck Fletcher (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I’m excited that Fletcher seems intent on bringing back a more physical style to the Flyers.

All of his coaches advocate physical play. (Vigneault stresses keeping it from whistle-to-whistle to reduce cheap “2nd man caught” penalties.)

His first acquisition was Hartman.

He had physical teams in Minnesota & has said he wants a faster, more aggressive style in general.

We’ll see if they can pull it off, but I like what I hear & the steps taken so far.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If by physical you mean the Vegas high speed "hit anything that moves" type of physical play suited to today's NHL, I'm all for it.
If you mean the big lunks hitting people to no purpose (Hagg), nah.

We'll get a better feel after Fletcher makes some moves this summer, but we'll have to see as a whole, if you draft Caufield that doesn't mean you don't want to be physical if you follow up by shipping out some soft forwards for more hard nosed guys. Even Vegas has Marchessault.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
If by physical you mean the Vegas high speed "hit anything that moves" type of physical play suited to today's NHL, I'm all for it.
If you mean the big lunks hitting people to no purpose (Hagg), nah.

We'll get a better feel after Fletcher makes some moves this summer, but we'll have to see as a whole, if you draft Caufield that doesn't mean you don't want to be physical if you follow up by shipping out some soft forwards for more hard nosed guys. Even Vegas has Marchessault.
Yes, speed based; I think I said that & Fletcher has repeatedly mentioned it. Won’t be as extreme as Vegas though.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
They weren't any type of physical.
They were in-your-face hard to play against.

Kreider, B Boyle, Girardi, Pouliot, Dorsett, Callahan (for half a season), even Zuccarello. Tanner Glass, Brassard, Fast.
You consider that not being “any type of physical”? These were mostly not finesse teams. Maybe Vigneault’s last season or two they lost their physicality due to the personnel, but for most of his tenure they were a pain in the ass to play.

hystyk1921

Jun 17, 2015
south jersey
I didn’t realize hits wins you hockey games?
Every team in the playoffs has something. Talent! and talent throughout the lineup. Flyers 3rd and 4th lines have been killing them. How many players go 10-30 games without a goal or point. Going to need talent to now compete with what NYR and NJ are putting together. Hopefully, the young talent gets here sooner rather then later. They are going to need it!!!

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Every team in the playoffs has something. Talent! and talent throughout the lineup. Flyers 3rd and 4th lines have been killing them. How many players go 10-30 games without a goal or point. Going to need talent to now compete with what NYR and NJ are putting together. Hopefully, the young talent gets here sooner rather then later. They are going to need it!!!
I’m not talking about hits. I’m talking about the “jam” Laviolette used to preach. Being hard on the puck. Getting to the puck in straight lines. Being assertive. Not shying from contact. Being abrasive. And generally a pain to play against.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Hits on the forecheck DO win you hockey games.
Haven't you ever seen a defenseman hesitate to go into the corners against an aggressive, physical forechecking team?
That hesitation allows you to keep the puck in their D-zone and force mistakes.

The two areas where hits matter are forwards on the forecheck and defensemen at the blue line (thou shall not cross - at least with the puck).

The hits that don't matter are those after a player has already moved the puck and you're just taking yourself out of position.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
But what have these playoffs taught us this year? That it’s not just talent that garners wins in the playoffs just ask Tampa, you need a a combo of both, not just one or the other

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Fletcher is already fibbing. They actually only gave up 280; 3rd most in the league.

HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Fletcher and Flahr Transcript: On Draft, Hayes, RFAs and More

We gave up 281 goals last year, we have to get better. We have to have more players that play a strong 200-foot game. I’d like to improve the penalty kill. Having depth through the middle of the ice will make us harder to play against. I think he’s a guy who’s familiar with our coach and our coach is familiar with him. If he signs, that will help. There shouldn’t be any learning curve. He should step in seamlessly if we’re able to sign him. I don’t think there is anything more to say that that that he helps us on both ends of the ice.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?repor...=2&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=goalsAgainst

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Reactions: Beef Invictus

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Hits on the forecheck DO win you hockey games.
Haven't you ever seen a defenseman hesitate to go into the corners against an aggressive, physical forechecking team?
That hesitation allows you to keep the puck in their D-zone and force mistakes.

The two areas where hits matter are forwards on the forecheck and defensemen at the blue line (thou shall not cross - at least with the puck).

The hits that don't matter are those after a player has already moved the puck and you're just taking yourself out of position.
They do matter because it wears out players. Every check should be finished.

Reactions: tucson83

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
i think fans are seriously underrating size which it still exists in todays game, it's just they think because of the rule change it means they have to get smaller and fast players which is why tampa got slaughtered.

Reactions: hatcher

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
i think fans are seriously underrating size which it still exists in todays game, it's just they think because of the rule change it means they have to get smaller and fast players which is why tampa got slaughtered.
Not even a series except for tampa's bottom lines giving it all they had.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

I value size. Size matters. Anyone that tells you different is lying.

Skill is more important, but if you’ve got two dudes with similar skill - you take the bigger one.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Thats damn weird considering Hextall's firing was followed with numerous quotes like "The analytics era failed and is over."

Yeah, nevermind that it was clear that they weren't all that concerned with analytics but rather with some idiotic process that made no sense and punished players for being skilled, so they could learn "accountability" while bad players had none.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

The Capitals played exactly like you wanted and they lost in large part because of it. They chased checks instead of the puck. Carolina focused on possession, on making one more play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad