GM Chuck Fletcher (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'd be extremely interested to see what would have happened had Hexy hired someone competent initially instead of Hakstok, if he had never met or heard of Hakstok. So many of the criticisms are so intertwined with Hakstok horse **** that it's impossible to know just how much of it to ascribe to either party.

I'm especially in mind of this when I see things like this:

For all anyone knows, this is just hot air. Or more of the constant smoke around this fire, this tire fire of a management team.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
The Capitals played exactly like you wanted and they lost in large part because of it. They chased checks instead of the puck. Carolina focused on possession, on making one more play.
can't win every year dude but they are a top team and Carolina pounded them backend f***ing hard.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The Capitals played exactly like you wanted and they lost in large part because of it. They chased checks instead of the puck. Carolina focused on possession, on making one more play.

Bad Reffing has been the common theme this playoffs, and no other series had more bad calls than that one. The caps were robbed . And I hate the caps, and love Brindamour.

Reactions: hatcher

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Bad Reffing has been the common theme this playoffs, and no other series had more bad calls than that one. The caps were robbed . And I hate the caps, and love Brindamour.

They weren't robbed. They were outplayed. They chased hits for their own sake while Carolina was fanatical about puck possession. It was the opposite of what they did under Trotz.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
can't win every year dude but they are a top team and Carolina pounded them backend ****ing hard.

Carolina didn't pound them. The Caps chased hits for their own sake, just as you want us to do, while Carolina focused on playing the puck. The Caps were far and away the more physical team. They lost. Having the puck and making plays with it is far more important than your lust for hitting.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If they were to trade Ghost for Andrew Shaw and Paul Byron I'd quit watching this team and cheer for some other team... That being said, I imagine the conversation went something along these lines:

Bergevin: How does Ghost for Shaw and Byron sound?

Bergevin: Hello? Hello???

These proposed trades only help hammer home the fact that it is really difficult to construct a good trade involving Ghost.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If they were to trade Ghost for Andrew Shaw and Paul Byron I'd quit watching this team and cheer for some other team... That being said, I imagine the conversation went something along these lines:

Bergevin: How does Ghost for Shaw and Byron sound?

Bergevin: Hello? Hello???

I would be out until Fletcher was fired too.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I'd be extremely interested to see what would have happened had Hexy hired someone competent initially instead of Hakstok, if he had never met or heard of Hakstok. So many of the criticisms are so intertwined with Hakstok horse **** that it's impossible to know just how much of it to ascribe to either party.

I'm especially in mind of this when I see things like this:

For all anyone knows, this is just hot air. Or more of the constant smoke around this fire, this tire fire of a management team.

Ewwww. I am not opposed to moving Ghost as long as it is for something valuable. And I like Shaw, but MTL better be adding like Juulsen and a pick or something to that deal. Ghost for Shaw would make me puke straight up.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Unless that HC brought with him a top ten goalie, nothing different.

Under Hakstol:
Couts became an elite center
Giroux revived his career as a top LW
Ghost finished top 10 in Norris voting.
TK became a top scorer.
What prospect was ruined by Hakstol?

No HC was going to get very far until Hart showed up, we saw what Lavi did in 2012-13, Berube was an idiot here and a savant in St Louis.

Hextall's decision to rebuild meant mediocrity for five years - the mistake was not going whole hog.
Hakstol did too good of a job, we need a HC who could miss the playoffs four straight years and get us higher draft picks. :thumbu:

Reactions: Jtown

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ewwww. I am not opposed to moving Ghost as long as it is for something valuable. And I like Shaw, but MTL better be adding like Juulsen and a pick or something to that deal. Ghost for Shaw would make me puke straight up.

Juulsen doesnt move the needle

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Unless that HC brought with him a top ten goalie, nothing different.

Under Hakstol:
Couts became an elite center
Giroux revived his career as a top LW
Ghost finished top 10 in Norris voting.
TK became a top scorer.
What prospect was ruined by Hakstol?

No HC was going to get very far until Hart showed up, we saw what Lavi did in 2012-13, Berube was an idiot here and a savant in St Louis.

Hextall's decision to rebuild meant mediocrity for five years - the mistake was not going whole hog.
Hakstol did too good of a job, we need a HC who could miss the playoffs four straight years and get us higher draft picks. :thumbu:

HAKSTOL DEFENSES IN 2019. LMAO

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

It's not a well-sourced rumor or anything and isn't on its own (de)merits anything to worry about. I'm just really extremely disappointed by the signs I am seeing all around the organization.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Juulsen doesnt move the needle
Not by himself but if the deal was Shaw, Juulsen, and #15 I would give that a looooong look. Shaw scored 47 points in 63 games last year and only 6 of those points were on the PP so it isn't like he is some scrub.

My biggest problem with dealing Ghost is we have to do something else if he gets traded to reinforce the defense. If this team is going to improve we have two options:

1) do nothing drastic and hope our team improves dramatically simply through development and signing bargain players that contribute more than expected; or
2) make a big move by trading someone we all love that has value.

It is unlikely we can land an upgrade on defense in a deal involving Ghost so presumably he'd be used to get a forward and then another deal would be made to replace him on defense. Shaw is not the ideal guy and he certainly wouldn't be my first target, but if they can get Juulsen or some other young prospect and 15 overall as part of the deal, I don't think you just turn them away.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Not by himself but if the deal was Shaw, Juulsen, and #15 I would give that a looooong look. Shaw scored 47 points in 63 games last year and only 6 of those points were on the PP so it isn't like he is some scrub.

My biggest problem with dealing Ghost is we have to do something else if he gets traded to reinforce the defense. If this team is going to improve we have two options:

1) do nothing drastic and hope our team improves dramatically simply through development and signing bargain players that contribute more than expected; or
2) make a big move by trading someone we all love that has value.

It is unlikely we can land an upgrade on defense in a deal involving Ghost so presumably he'd be used to get a forward and then another deal would be made to replace him on defense. Shaw is not the ideal guy and he certainly wouldn't be my first target, but if they can get Juulsen or some other young prospect and 15 overall as part of the deal, I don't think you just turn them away.

Right but Juulsen does nothing for this franchise so adding him is pointless.

As @Tripod pointed out, we should not be considering quality for quantity trades. If anything it should be the opposite.

Reactions: Tripod

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Right but Juulsen does nothing for this franchise so adding him is pointless.

As @Tripod pointed out, we should not be considering quality for quantity trades. If anything it should be the opposite.
I disagree with this. Since when is a 21 year old RHD with NHL experience and a good pedigree and too four potential pointless on this team? He may not immediately improve this defense, that is for sure, but he makes our overall defensive corps stronger for the long long in this scenario where we are trading Ghost. We also are adding the 15th pick and Andrew Shaw. Getting a player that paced for 50 points last season, a 21 year old RHD that at least was billed as a solid two-way guy in his draft year, and the 15th overall pick is a tough haul to turn down. The question to me is can they do better do that elsewhere? I'm not sure, but this team is not going to improve by hoping all our prospects become superstars and hope that free agents sign here for free. Someone is going to be traded eventually and we are going to overpay a UFA.

GagneHanson12

Aug 15, 2011
Byron & Shaw are damn good players. But they’d need to get a high caliber prospect/player in addition.
Where would they play?

LW:
Giroux
JVR
Lindblom
Raffl

Byron would fit somewhere between Lindblom and Raffl, but would likely block our young NHL ready players. All the while taking up 3.4 million for 4 more years.

RW:
Konecny
Voracek
Hartman

Shaw would fit in under Vora as 3RW. That being said, he won't replicate last year here, as he played with Domi and Drouin. Here he is a 30-35 point player (like every other year in his career).

Further, is it really worth trading a defenseman who showed potential to be (and also played as one with Provorov in 17/18) a #1/2 in Ghost? In a bad year he was still average defensively (with some gaffs no doubt) and put up ~40 points.

Edit:
Hit reply before finishing my thought.

Either of those prospects would be nice to have but don't move the needle for a Ghost trade.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I disagree with this. Since when is a 21 year old RHD with NHL experience and a good pedigree and too four potential pointless on this team? He may not immediately improve this defense, that is for sure, but he makes our overall defensive corps stronger for the long long in this scenario where we are trading Ghost. We also are adding the 15th pick and Andrew Shaw. Getting a player that paced for 50 points last season, a 21 year old RHD that at least was billed as a solid two-way guy in his draft year, and the 15th overall pick is a tough haul to turn down. The question to me is can they do better do that elsewhere? I'm not sure, but this team is not going to improve by hoping all our prospects become superstars and hope that free agents sign here for free. Someone is going to be traded eventually and we are going to overpay a UFA.

Im not high on Juulsen at all and think hed be nothing more than a bottom pair D here. Not interested. Trade makes us worse next year and only chance of winning would be hitting on 15 which will take years to discern.

They cannot make any trades that make us worse next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad