GM Chuck Fletcher (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
He’d cost a lot. As opposed to signing him. You know they will want cheap talent ie our prospects. They aren’t taking jake back.
Sens are in bad situation. Rather lost him free at summer or for Jake?

Everyone knows that Ottawa is shit. But Voracek is signed trough 2024, Ottawa would aquire a star for next years.

But yeah, I think too that they want prospects. But look at EK trade. And they were in better situation with EK than with Stone (only 6 months until he will be UFA)

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Sens are in bad situation. Rather lost him free at summer or for Jake?

Everyone knows that Ottawa is ****. But Voracek is signed trough 2024, Ottawa would aquire a star for next years.

But yeah, I think too that they want prospects. But look at EK trade. And they were in better situation with EK than with Stone (only 6 months until he will be UFA)
Yea I mean if they get ripped off like with EK I think you do it but I think they wanted sanhiem before. That’s not happening but maybe they want other top guys still. They likely will trade him and then hopefully he hits UFA. I want both Panarin and stone, but Panarin more.

Reactions: AdamParrot

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Yea I mean if they get ripped off like with EK I think you do it but I think they wanted sanhiem before. That’s not happening but maybe they want other top guys still. They likely will trade him and then hopefully he hits UFA. I want both Panarin and stone, but Panarin more.
It makes sense if they want Sanheim. But easy NO from us. I give up package around O'Brien + conditional 1st. Then maybe use prospect from 2nd tier (like Rubtsov, Sandstrom, Strome, Ratcliffe, Laczynski, Allison, St. Ivany, Kalynuk...). But we must to keep prospects like Frost, Farabee, Myers, Hart...

Or if they want Simmonds in package too (for example Simmonds + O'Brien + conditional 1st), it should be easy YES from us.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It makes sense if they want Sanheim. But easy NO from us. I give up package around O'Brien + conditional 1st. Then maybe use prospect from 2nd tier (like Rubtsov, Sandstrom, Strome, Ratcliffe, Laczynski, Allison, St. Ivany, Kalynuk...). But we must to keep prospects like Frost, Farabee, Myers, Hart...

Or if they want Simmonds in package too (for example Simmonds + O'Brien + conditional 1st), it should be easy YES from us.

Giving up anything for him now would be unspeakably asinine.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
And Stone apparently loves Ottawa. It'd be absolutely hilarious (and not in a good way) if the Flyers trade for him and he signs in Ottawa.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
And Stone apparently loves Ottawa. It'd be absolutely hilarious (and not in a good way) if the Flyers trade for him and he signs in Ottawa.
Erik Karlsson loves Ottawa, and he ain't there anymore.

If they're trading for him, then they're going to sign him.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
There’s a chance both Karlsson and Stone could return to Ottawa if the team is sold.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I would work out a long term contract with him before I trade for him.

Why would you give up any assets for someone who is going to be a UFA in the offseason? It makes no sense whatsoever.

If he is going to sign with Ottawa, and you are trying to prevent him from doing that by trading for him - and discussing an extension with him beforehand - just tell him to wait and agree to terms for after the season. If he says he wants to get Ottawa something so they don't lose him for free, tell him sorry and move on to someone else. We are not in the business of propping up Ottawa's awful asset management and we don't need him specifically so badly that we have to do them a favor - i.e. surrender assets - to get him.

If you say "We have enough assets, we can afford it" - that's just a stupid, stupid way to run an organization in a sport with a salary cap.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
Why would you give up any assets for someone who is going to be a UFA in the offseason? It makes no sense whatsoever.

If he is going to sign with Ottawa, and you are trying to prevent him from doing that by trading for him - and discussing an extension with him beforehand - just tell him to wait and agree to terms for after the season. If he says he wants to get Ottawa something so they don't lose him for free, tell him sorry and move on to someone else. We are not in the business of propping up Ottawa's awful asset management and we don't need him specifically so badly that we have to do them a favor - i.e. surrender assets - to get him.

If you say "We have enough assets, we can afford it" - that's just a stupid, stupid way to run an organization in a sport with a salary cap.
It's not Fletch that makes me nervous, its Dave Scott telling Fletch to be a buyer rather than a seller when assets are generally the most expensive.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
81952704cb02402956d1d5dc216106e2.png

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Players are deeply biased about teammates, often ignorant to long term planning and cap management, and a GM should not sign players to contracts, let alone lengthy ones, because of personal relationships. That’s Management 101 sh*t.

You have to be emotionally blinded as a fan of this team to want Wayne re-signed. Because the logic runs short. He doesn’t even help them right NOW.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah you need to seperate the emotions of being a fan/friend, and what makes business sense.

And what makes sense, is to trade him for the biggest return you can. Then possibly go replace him with a better UFA. That's how you add more depth to your organization too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad