GM Chuck Fletcher (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
If they plan to play Giroux at LW moving forward they are going to need a center. Counting on Patrick and Frost to be the 2nd and 3rd line center on a playoff team is the same type of mistake they have made in recent years. If they want to make Giroux a center again long term than they will need a big time wing.
At least the 2019 draft has some nice centers near the top and the Flyers are terrible. Granted, that won't be a solution until 2020-21 at the earliest, barring a lottery win.

Reactions: The Madrigal

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Wonder what Goalie he will target:

Lehner
Talbot
Bob
Varly
Quick

He has his options more than likely. Cap space and assets. Just depends on what he is willing to spend/cost and term for sure. He has a tough job this summer to improve this team.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Lehner
Talbot
Bob
Varly
Quick

He has his options more than likely. Cap space and assets. Just depends on what he is willing to spend/cost and term for sure. He has a tough job this summer to improve this team.

I think we can take Bob off the list. He will probably want more money and term than we should be giving a goalie based on Hart's satisfying performances.

Bob is in that really obnoxious gray area for a goalie at age 30. He may want 5 years, but he still does well enough to want serious money. If we had no up and coming Gs I'd risk it even with whatever strange weirdness is going on with him and CBJ, but we do have the up and coming Hart. I'm skeptical how all of Bob, Varly, and Quick will age too. I can see all of them hitting a wall hard.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Bobrovsky, Lehner, and Varlamov should all getting starting jobs and there are only so many to go around. I think if they go the free agent route Jimmy Howard and Cam Talbot would be in the mix.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I'll say it again. I think it'll be Howard. Do not know why... our luck we would sign him and he would under perform on a better team than the other guys would on their team.

/rant

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I think the Giroux at LW experiment is dead now with Hextall gone. That's why I expect Fletcher to add two top 6 wingers this summer.
If they somehow manage to get Stone and Panarin, you'll have one of the best lines in hockey.

If the idea is to put Giroux back at LW though, I'd target someone like Duchene to center the 2nd line. That would be my plan B.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I'll say it again. I think it'll be Howard. Do not know why... our luck we would sign him and he would under perform on a better team than the other guys would on their team.

/rant
I hope you're wrong. Among the free agent goalies I think he would be the best fit to play in tandem with Hart.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I’d be happy with Jimmy Howard but he’ll probably have a good number of offers & may get a better chance to win a #1 role elsewhere.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I agree, at least ask him about the coaching. He will give a canned answer but still.

As far as Kapanen. The leafs are heavy on forwards, lighter on D. Even still they are set to lose another dman to FA in Gardiner. Kapanen is a RFA. That’s easy enough but they have to sign Marner and Matthews who are RFAs. They are the top two RFAs currently in a pool that has some insane RFAs. They are going to get paid. Hopefully
Close to JT. So they should trade him
For a top 4 dman. Ideally better than Gudas. But if it’s gudas and Simmonds that may be enticing. They add a first to that package.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Lehner
Talbot
Bob
Varly
Quick

There's also Howard.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I think the Giroux at LW experiment is dead now with Hextall gone. That's why I expect Fletcher to add two top 6 wingers this summer.
If they somehow manage to get Stone and Panarin, you'll have one of the best lines in hockey.

If the idea is to put Giroux back at LW though, I'd target someone like Duchene to center the 2nd line. That would be my plan B.
That 1-year "experiment" was the best season of his career. Giroux at wing should be the Fletcher's plan moving forward.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
That 1-year "experiment" was the best season of his career. Giroux at wing should be the Fletcher's plan moving forward.
We'll see. If we get Stone, Giroux would definitely have to be back at center. Stone would be the perfect RW for Giroux.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Lehner
Talbot
Bob
Varly
Quick

Looking at what's on offer, and what we'd have to give up, I'd almost rather just trade for Khudobin. I don't want anyone who expects to start, since that job ought to be locked up.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Because he played at a elite level and had help from players who didnt squander his setups.

He’s proved he’s still a 1C this year. It wasn’t the move to wing.

In fact, he’s pacing for even more even strength points than he had last year, despite being at C for quite a while and having less linemate help.

The argument that Giroux can't be 1C anymore is 100% dead.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Still waiting on Fletch to do something actually consequential aside from the Hart call-up, which was basically a necessity with 3 injured goalies and Lyon as the only other alternative.

Reactions: DaphneLion

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There isn't.

It would be a massive mistake.

I mean, depends on the asset and what is done with the cap space gained. I doubt he's even considering moving Weise in this manner though. The higher likelihood is trading him with retention for an asset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad