GDT: GM#8 LA Kings vs Buffalo Sabres @12:30pm 10/20/18

Jun 30, 2006
Maybe you guys should look at the status of NMCs around the league if you think Kopitar and Doughty weren't getting them.

Everyone has brass balls negotiating on a message board though.

I don’t think I would just hand Kopitar or Doughty a blank check and throw in a NMC just for appearances sake.

It hinders your roster flexibility and you give the players control regardless of their play. That’s not in the best interest of the Kings.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don’t think I would just hand Kopitar or Doughty a blank check and throw in a NMC just for appearances sake.

It hinders your roster flexibility and you give the players control regardless of their play. That’s not in the best interest of the Kings.

You know what hinders your roster flexibility? Your entire d-core having NMCs...but everyone wants to praise Stevie Y as the 2nd coming.

You know what doesn't hinder your roster flexibility? Having arguably the best defenseman in the league and a superstar center with NMCs. And those are the kind of guys who are getting NMCs whether they get them from you or someone else.

If anything, yell at Blake for giving Kovalchuk one, because that was one thing DL was best in the business at. I'm serious. Look at league rosters if you don't believe me.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I have no issue with Kopitar returning home to Europe for the summer, most players throughout the league return home for the summer. People used to give Richards crap for this, never understood it.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The entire league's approach to NMCs and bloated third contracts is flawed. It is the biggest reason there will be another lockout. Owners will once again have to put limitations on their own GMs, because they don't know how to control themselves.

Jun 30, 2006
You know what hinders your roster flexibility? Your entire d-core having NMCs...but everyone wants to praise Stevie Y as the 2nd coming.

You know what doesn't hinder your roster flexibility? Having arguably the best defenseman in the league and a superstar center with NMCs. And those are the kind of guys who are getting NMCs whether they get them from you or someone else.

If anything, yell at Blake for giving Kovalchuk one, because that was one thing DL was best in the business at. I'm serious. Look at league rosters if you don't believe me.

Where’s the incentive for Kopitar and Doughty to live up to the billing you just gave them? Look at how hard they are playing for the HC they wanted. They got the contract they wanted, they got an easy going management.

They wanted easy and drama free contract negotiations, and they got everything they wanted. How’s that working out for the Kings? They are looking for their 3rd coach in 3 years pretty soon because that’s their only recourse.

I agree with the Kovalchuk contract, I think DL would probably laugh at the 3 years and 18.75 million. Nobody was offering that other than the Kings and they threw a NMC on top of it. Dumb contract but look who’s running the show. Luc doesn’t negotiate or think in terms of roster building, same with Blake because he’s riding shotgun on this.

Reactions: KINGS17

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I don't understand the logic of not paying Kopitar or Doughty. Every single team has to shell out the dough and possibly NMCs to their superstar players. Kopitar and Doughty are not this team's problem right now. The problem is that there are not enough players of their caliber on this team. Also, because Pearson and Toffoli didn't pan out, and look like they are coasting, our second line is bad now when before it was our strongest line.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don't understand the logic of not paying Kopitar or Doughty. Every single team has to shell out the dough and possibly NMCs to their superstar players. Kopitar and Doughty are not this team's problem right now. The problem is that there are not enough players of their caliber on this team. Also, because Pearson and Toffoli didn't pan out, and look like they are coasting, our second line is bad now when before it was our strongest line.
The problem with the Kopitar and Doughty contracts is that the Kings run is over. Now they are tethered to these guys due to the NMCs and the length of their deals.

Jun 30, 2006
The problem with the Kopitar and Doughty contracts is that the Kings run is over. Now they are tethered to these guys due to the NMCs and the length of their deals.

The Kings run is over because there’s no accountability anymore. They are happy to just live on the beach (Doughty said so and even acknowledged by saying how much DL hated that) and collect a paycheck. There’s nothing the Kings can do about it.

I feel like last year there was a lot of motivation to show Sutter and DL that they can play in a freer system and that their system (DL/Sutter) sucked because it put shackles on everyone. Now where’s this years motivation?

There isn’t any obviously.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The Kings run is over because there’s no accountability anymore. They are happy to just live on the beach (Doughty said so and even acknowledged by saying how much DL hated that) and collect a paycheck. There’s nothing the Kings can do about it.

I feel like last year there was a lot of motivation to show Sutter and DL that they can play in a freer system and that their system (DL/Sutter) sucked because it put shackles on everyone. Now where’s this years motivation?

There isn’t any obviously.

Can you show me the quotes that say that, not that I dont believe you.....but.....I dont believe you....so much crap has come up now that the Kings hit a rough spot....its unreal.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Imagine if instead of the Kovalchuk contract, they traded some sort of futures for Patches and gave him the same money for more years.

If you are going to rake Lombardi over the coals for continually going for it when he should have realized the run was over, you can't honestly pump Blake's tires for doing some amazing job.

At least Lombardi was drunk on winning the whole thing 2-out-of-3 years with his big futures trades occurring 12 months after winning a Cup on the heels of what really looked like a fluke season highlighted by the loss of Voynov.

Blake rolls off of a fluke season--punctuated by a 3-goals-in-4-games playoff sweep-and doubles down, attempting to trade for a veteran winger with a long extension in tow before putting big dollars down on a 35 year old enigma.

Outside of Iafallo, all Blake has so far is potential in the form of prospects. Glad the pipeline looks better but he has done jack shit at the NHL level and, seriously, is residing over the worst stretch of Kings hockey since they were purposely tanking in the late '00s.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan

Modern day rebuilds/retools are pretty quick and can be done in 3 years. Kopitar and Doughty are solid players that can play in their late 30s. If Blake does a heavy retool in the next three years, Kopitar and Doughty can help lead the team. It's more dangerous to have a scorched earth rebuild and risk being mediocre for nearly a decade. Also, its risky losing elite players like Kopitar and Doughty. What are the odds of us drafting players like these again? Maybe we get luck with a 1C replacement, but we won't find another Doughty.

Cochese

Mar 14, 2008
Imagine if instead of the Kovalchuk contract, they traded some sort of futures for Patches and gave him the same money for more years.

If you are going to rake Lombardi over the coals for continually going for it when he should have realized the run was over, you can't honestly pump Blake's tires for doing some amazing job.

At least Lombardi was drunk on winning the whole thing 2-out-of-3 years with his big futures trades occurring 12 months after winning a Cup on the heels of what really looked like a fluke season highlighted by the loss of Voynov.

Blake rolls off of a fluke season--punctuated by a 3-goals-in-4-games playoff sweep-and doubles down, attempting to trade for a veteran winger with a long extension in tow before putting big dollars down on a 35 year old enigma.

Outside of Iafallo, all Blake has so far is potential in the form of prospects. Glad the pipeline looks better but he has done jack **** at the NHL level and, seriously, is residing over the worst stretch of Kings hockey since they were purposely tanking in the late '00s.

Max Pac with 1 point in 8 games and -4. Jeepers...

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Modern day rebuilds/retools are pretty quick and can be done in 3 years. Kopitar and Doughty are solid players that can play in their late 30s. If Blake does a heavy retool in the next three years, Kopitar and Doughty can help lead the team. It's more dangerous to have a scorched earth rebuild and risk being mediocre for nearly a decade. Also, its risky losing elite players like Kopitar and Doughty. What are the odds of us drafting players like these again? Maybe we get luck with a 1C replacement, but we won't find another Doughty.
Not very good when they are drafting in the middle of the first round.

Kopitar and Doughty have elite talent, but are not elite leaders and will likely never win here again. I am starting to wonder what the over/under on Kopitar's point production should be this season, maybe 65 points.

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Kopitar will turn his season around soon. Brown coming back will help not only Kopitar but the dynamics in the room.

We were warned about Carter in spring training not looking 100% and not 100% recovered. He hopefully keeps healing and starts producing. When we rely on a guy like him to lead the second wave he is a crucial part.

I have actually liked what I have seen in Kovy, Iafallo and Lewis looks like he is coming around.

What scares me is a coaching staff that does not seem to be able to get their players to buy into a plan or system, they employ a system that is easily predictable, can’t make ingame changes, and not knowing how to properly motivate a team that seems to be in a funk.

The second thing that scares me is our defensive core. We have a top 3 defenseman in the game who is still a child. He has played with sub par partners for years and is forced to play half a game. When are we going to find a proper parter for him? When are we going to find a proper #3? When are we going to find someone to keep our superstar d-man’s childishness check like the Richards and Mitchell’s did in the old days.

We also have some passengers on this team. Toffoli and Pearson have shown no fire at all. Remember a few years ago when Toffoli made high skill plays and was dangerous from anywhere in the offensive zone. Lots was skill but he also worked his bag off to get on the scoreboard even being selfish to an extent. I want to see that fire back.

We not only have holes in this team in the terms of skill but also the right personnel. Now I know it’s the new NHL and all but I miss the cocky swagger this team once had. They believed in themselves and it felt like they could overcome anything. Now they seem confused, lost, ready to give up at the slightest downswing.

Now in my mind for it to work it has to start with a change in coaches. No more even keel happy go lucky deer in the headlights coach. We need someone to light a fire under our boys. Get their moxie back

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Jun 30, 2006
Can you show me the quotes that say that, not that I dont believe you.....but.....I dont believe you....so much crap has come up now that the Kings hit a rough spot....its unreal.

I can’t even explain how amazing this contract process was for me,” said Doughty, whose eight-year, $88-million contract begins in 2019-20 and extends through the 2026-27 season. “Compared to my last contract when I was locked out and we were negotiating for five months, this one took a couple of days. I wouldn’t say that the word is necessarily ‘relieved,’ I’m just so happy and so excited that it came together so quickly and that Rob and Mr. Anschutz were so easy to work with. They made it easy for me.”

I’ve been in LA for already ten years now and everything about being in LA is just amazing,” he said. “The hockey organization is top class and being able to live there, in California, you get to live your own life. I’m building a new house there, ready to start my family there, I’m getting married this summer. I love being in LA, I love being by the beach – and I know Dean used to hate when I said that – but it’s amazing. Driving to the rink in nice weather every day makes you want to be there more and that was definitely a factor in re-signing there. I never wanted to leave there, to be honest.”
“Rob and Luc both made it apparent to me from the start of the season that we’re here to win, we’re not here to rebuild,” Doughty said. “We’re going to continue to move pieces around, have good draft picks, develop our prospects and make a better team. That was my only concern at the start of the season with potentially signing with LA was that I didn’t know what our team was going to look like down the road and they solved that problem right off the bat for me. They told me they’re going to do whatever it takes to get back to that winning team we had back in the day, and that was really the only concern I had. I never had a concern with the organization, it’s first class and living there is so easy and so fun. Once they told me that, I knew I was signing in LA for the entire season, I just didn’t let that be known.”

Notebook! Doughty, Kovalchuk deals official; Blake, Doughty weigh in - LA Kings Insider

Reactions: BigKing

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.

Kopitar and Doughty are players you can learn from long term.

Part of the Detroit model was having players like Yzerman and Lidstrom, and until the end of their playing days, they mentored young talents at the time like Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

This is why I think we need an overhaul of our development at the very least and possibly modernizing the scouting/drafting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad