GDT: GM#8 LA Kings vs Buffalo Sabres @12:30pm 10/20/18

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Kopitar and Doughty do not have the same leadership qualities as Williams, Richards, Stoll, Greene and Mitchell. Those are five players who never gave up even when their talent faded and they always played for each other. Quick, Brown and perhaps Lewis is all that remains of players with this mentality.

Does anyone ever get the feeling that Drew Doughty is going to go out of his way to play for a teammate? Perhaps this is why no one stands up for Doughty when he gets run by Tkachuk. We know exactly what Richards would have done it that situation, even in the diminished state he was in near the end of his career. Even if it was Doughty he was standing up for in that situation.

No, definitely not Lewis.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
... So the players determine get to determine what needs to change?

If this is true, then Blake is a much bigger dolt than I could have imagined. The players arent bought in, the coach is garbage and doesn't know what to do, get rid of the problems. Stevens and the problem players wtf.

Who the f*** cares what the players say is and isn't the problem?

Reactions: DoktorJeep

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Are there even character players left in the NHL? It seems like such a 90s and 00s thing (guys like Iginla, Lecavs, Richards, Williams).

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Are there even character players left in the NHL? It seems like such a 90s and 00s thing (guys like Iginla, Lecavs, Richards, Williams).

Not really but that won't stop people from moaning about character on these boards now.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The tweet from the Mayor echos BS excuses from management, coaches and players. The issues are multiple and blatant on and off the ice.

$26+ million in cap going to 9 aging vets and 2 retired players.

Playing a style of hockey that less than 10% of the league uses.

Highly paid stars with their names on the Cup who are blamed for not putting the team on their shoulders and carry their teammates to wins every night.

Long time fans have seen worse rosters and starts to the season. But where I’ve always drawn the line at patience and frustration is based on how much messaging in the press matches results on the ice.

Luc and Blake are turning out to be a modern day version of Leiwecke and Taylor. One has a career agenda and the other wants a job that pays him a good salary and let’s him live in the South Bay.

Given the lack of attention the Kings get and the proven evidence of a core fan base that will support this franchise through thick and thin, it’s an insult from AEG to those fans to allow this direction to continue in the face of results getting worse on the Richter scale.

You can’t market your way out of this situation.

Reactions: DryIslandBartender

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I agree wholeheartedly that Doughty is likely the problem in the locker room. He always needed to be reined in even during the Cup runs. Remember Richards and Mitchell telling him to shut up in the WCF in 2012?

Guy is a brat. Always been a brat. And now he’s the brat with rings and a fat contract.

Reactions: Ollie Weeks

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
And theres literally nobody old enough in the league to reign Doughty in anymore. Which is pathetic, he’s what, 28? Not only should it not be necessary, the least he could do is fake some sort of leadership till he makes it.

Part of me wants to cast a glance towards Kopitar as well, as much as I love the guy and everything he’s done. Is he still vanishing in the summertime to Europe, or sticking around to train with the team? If it wouldnt be such an organizational embarrassment, I’d want the C back on Brown yesterday.

Reactions: Reaper45

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
And theres literally nobody old enough in the league to reign Doughty in anymore. Which is pathetic, he’s what, 28?

Part of me wants to cast a glance towards Kopitar as well, as much as I love the guy and everything he’s done. Is he still vanishing in the summertime to Europe, or sticking around to train with the team? If it wouldnt be such an organizational embarrassment, I’d want the C back on Brown yesterday.

He's in Europe during summer time and Kopitar seems like a really reserved dude which sucks

Jun 30, 2006
Correct me if I’m wrong but Doughtys extension doesn’t kick in until the end of this season? Meaning he doesn’t have a NMC until then?

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
And theres literally nobody old enough in the league to reign Doughty in anymore. Which is pathetic, he’s what, 28? Not only should it not be necessary, the least he could do is fake some sort of leadership till he makes it.

Kopitar has always been demure. And honestly, I’d rather have that than diva nonsense like Doughty.

But yes, Kopitar has always been a passenger in terms of vocal locker room leadership.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think people are reading too much into this (as usual).

Saying there's a lack of commitment in the room sounds like a platitude you say when a team is struggling. And whether or not Doughty is a brat is completely different from commitment.

Guys on this team have won cups, got the big contracts, got married and are a little older now. It's human nature to not have as much hunger. I don't think it's a character flaw.

Reactions: Reaper45

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Correct me if I’m wrong but Doughtys extension doesn’t kick in until the end of this season? Meaning he doesn’t have a NMC until then?
No, much like the foolishness displayed with the Kopitar contract, the new contract contains a clause which starts the NMC right away.

Up until 2023-24 to 26-27 (Player submits a 7 team trade list), Doughty has a full NMC.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think people are reading too much into this (as usual).

Saying there's a lack of commitment in the room sounds like a platitude you say when a team is struggling. And whether or not Doughty is a brat is completely different from commitment.

Guys on this team have won cups, got the big contracts, got married and are a little older now. It's human nature to not have as much hunger. I don't think it's a character flaw.
Other guys who were leaders have been married. Didn't seem to bother them.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
I agree wholeheartedly that Doughty is likely the problem in the locker room. He always needed to be reined in even during the Cup runs. Remember Richards and Mitchell telling him to shut up in the WCF in 2012?

Guy is a brat. Always been a brat. And now he’s the brat with rings and a fat contract.

I think Doughty still is very competitive, he is a dick, but the guy logs 30 minutes of ice time, because lots of other fella's cannot play D worth a crap.

Is it me or is Toffoli's approach to the game is similar to this guy if he was a hockey player.

upload_2018-10-21_17-27-30.jpeg

"Brad Hamilton: Why don't you get a job Spicoli?
Jeff Spicoli: What for?
Brad Hamilton: You need money.
Jeff Spicoli: All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buds, and I'm fine."

Reactions: Axl Rhoadz

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The bottom line is Stevens has thrown his hands in the air and has said "I don't know" while sitting in second to last place in the conference with the most horrendous goal differential by double over Arizona or Edmonton and now 10% of the season is already in the books. Regardless if there are player problems, the coach has to go. There's no excuse. Make trades if you must, but the coach has to go.

This is my big problem with it.

Whether or not the players have their own issues, the coach is on the hook for helping to bring them together. On teams with a bunch of youngsters and/or without the leadership the Cup Kings had, the coach and leadership group is the leader-pulse.

However, if those quotes about player dedication are true, those guys need to be shipped out as an example ASAP, even if for pennies on the dollar.

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust
Jun 30, 2006
No, much like the foolishness displayed with the Kopitar contract, the new contract contains a clause which starts the NMC right away.

Up until 2023-24 to 26-27 (Player submits a 7 team trade list), Doughty has a full NMC.

Terrible GM’ing. I went back to Doughty’s discussion on how the negotiations went and he made it clear he was glad he wasn’t negotiating against DL.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Lombardi’s negotiation tactics got him fired in San Jose when the team stumbled out of the gate due to holdouts.

You guys seriously think they shouldn’t give a Norris Trophy candidate a NMC?

Reactions: Axl Rhoadz

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes