GDT: GM#8 LA Kings vs Buffalo Sabres @12:30pm 10/20/18

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I don't dislike Doughty. He isn't my favorite player of all-time by a long shot. I marvel at his talent, but he leaves me wanting more when it comes to fulfilling his potential and filling the leadership void left by Williams, Stoll, Greene, Mitchell, etc.
Hes a talent but hes not a leader for sure. Hes like Paul Coffee in that hes a fantastic player but should never be considered a leader.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Doughty is the best defenseman the Kings have ever had. We are all happy he has been a King since there aren't two Cups without him.

That being said, we would all rag on him so hard if he was on another team with the way he acts. You take the great with the bad, but he is cringe worthy a lot of the time.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Doughty is the best defenseman the Kings have ever had. We are all happy he has been a King since there aren't two Cups without him.

That being said, we would all rag on him so hard if he was on another team with the way he acts. You take the great with the bad, but he is cringe worthy a lot of the time.

I'm actually being reminded of the crap P.K. Subban had to put up with in Montreal, not just the fans but the media too. I'd be watching HNIC and P.J. Stock would just be making up some shit about Subban and his character.

Either way, I think Doughty is the target of ire from pockets of fans because he just signed a big extension and the power play is looking like utter crap, and he's considered to be the one who drives the plays.

Players who are invested emotionally will lash out and say or do stupid shit. Chris Chelios was pretty good at doing that, like when he threatened Gary Bettman and his family during the lockout in '94. Or the many times Chris Pronger got himself suspended because he acted like an insolent brat. Guys who hate to lose tend to react that way.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I'm actually being reminded of the crap P.K. Subban had to put up with in Montreal, not just the fans but the media too. I'd be watching HNIC and P.J. Stock would just be making up some **** about Subban and his character.

Either way, I think Doughty is the target of ire from pockets of fans because he just signed a big extension and the power play is looking like utter crap, and he's considered to be the one who drives the plays.

Players who are invested emotionally will lash out and say or do stupid ****. Chris Chelios was pretty good at doing that, like when he threatened Gary Bettman and his family during the lockout in '94. Or the many times Chris Pronger got himself suspended because he acted like an insolent brat. Guys who hate to lose tend to react that way.

Doughty runs his mouth and never backs it up physically. My absolute least favorite type of player.

He'd be easy to hate if he wasn't a King and it wouldn't be because he is so good or hates to lose.

Reactions: YP44 and Maynard

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Doughty runs his mouth and never backs it up physically. My absolute least favorite type of player.

He'd be easy to hate if he wasn't a King and it wouldn't be because he is so good or hates to lose.

What do you want him to do? He's not a fighter. You want to see him get his ass kicked like what happened when Jeff Carter took on Ryan Kesler?

Reactions: King Trouty

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
What do you want him to do? He's not a fighter. You want to see him get his ass kicked like what happened when Jeff Carter took on Ryan Kesler?

Don't act tough?

Again, we would crucify any other player for what he does if he wasn't a King. Regardless, I'm obviously glad he's been a King and have already stated he is the best Kings defenseman ever.

Carter doesn't act tough but threw a borderline hit on Kesler. Kesler asked him to go and Carter obliged him because he knew the hit he threw was questionable. Honorable player. Too bad he got popped but Carter then provided the best moment of the 2017 season by coming back from that and leading the team to a win over the Ducks when it felt like they could make the playoffs.

He missed zero time. The idea that Carter went into a funk because of that fight is ludicrous and just an unsubstantiated talking point for those that want to push the "stars should never fight" or, even worse, "nobody should ever fight". I know you aren't in the latter and you might not even be in the former, although you are applying that to Doughty.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I don't think anyone said as much.

But if you're going to get heated with tantrums, trash talk, and run your mouth, you better accompany that behavior with physical play and toughness. Otherwise, you're a pest or a child.

If you don't want to engage in physical fights, that's cool, but have better composure.

Nobody talks about Kopitar, Carter, etc not fighting regularly, because they conduct themselves with more composure.

Reactions: KINGS17
Jun 30, 2006
So he should have been on the ice and those goals wouldn't have been scored...? Or are you saying three goals against over an 8-game span is unacceptable?

I’m sayin it’s easy to cherry pick stats. Doughty and Kopitar aren’t guys that can carry a team when it’s not doing well. Where’s the leadership in tough times?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I’m sayin it’s easy to cherry pick stats. Doughty and Kopitar aren’t guys that can carry a team when it’s not doing well. Where’s the leadership in tough times?

BS, you said Doughty was complacent because he liked living near the beach, and now you are changing it up again ffs...

If you had said Doughty isn't the type of leader LA needs, or lacks leadership....absolutely....

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
so our D lineup will seriously look like this?

Forbort - Doughty
Martinez - Muzzin
Phaneuf - Walker

isn't it time to do something about Forbort on the top line?
and to split Martinez / Muzzin?
and maybe scratching a veteran for Walker instead of scratching Fantenberg / Ladue?

Reactions: DoktorJeep

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Quick and Doughty are our true leaders / voices for the team

the problem is Quick is a goalie and Doughty is completely immature

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Quick and Doughty are our true leaders / voices for the team

the problem is Quick is a goalie and Doughty is completely immature

Disagree about Doughty, he's not a "true" leader, in the sense that his immaturity won't let him be, guys like Quick, Lewis, Brown, Clifford, those are the leaders in the room etc, the way Doughty leads, is his passion for the game, and that's a marked difference in the way guys before him like Mitchell, Regehyr led, even guys like Phaneuf, Kopitar etc.

Jun 30, 2006
That's horse****....he's not a natural leader, no one has claimed him to be one, but by that, because he's not a natural leader, he's complacent,

How far gone are you man?

He’s not stepping up and putting the team on his shoulders. He’s fine being a cog in the wheel. In other words, complacent. Conprende? Or do you need me to break out the crayons?

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Disagree about Doughty, he's not a "true" leader, in the sense that his immaturity won't let him be, guys like Quick, Lewis, Brown, Clifford, those are the leaders in the room etc, the way Doughty leads, is his passion for the game, and that's a marked difference in the way guys before him like Mitchell, Regehyr led, even guys like Phaneuf, Kopitar etc.

i get what you're saying but guys that remain mute and "lead by example" also suck as leaders i find... i never responded to those types of "leaders" anyway so i'm sure there are others like me

point is, you and i both struggle to find a true leader because there are none on this team

so we settle for Kopitar Carter Brown Lewis type "leaders"

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
i get what you're saying but guys that remain mute and "lead by example" also suck as leaders i find... i never responded to those types of "leaders" anyway so i'm sure there are others like me

point is, you and i both struggle to find a true leader because there are none on this team

so we settle for Kopitar Carter Brown Lewis type "leaders"

There are those that do respond to that, that's why in a locker room you need different types of leadership, it's never just one way or one person etc.

Reactions: King'sPawn

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
There are those that do respond to that, that's why in a locker room you need different types of leadership, it's never just one way or one person etc.

I agree. I think it's why the dynamic of players like Mitchell, Williams, and Richards were so good along with players like Kopitar, Brown, and Carter during the better years.

Messages conveyed differently will have different effects. There's not one medium which always works.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00