GDT: GM#8 LA Kings vs Buffalo Sabres @12:30pm 10/20/18

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Nothing wrong with that, in my opinion.

Kopitar and Doughty are players you can learn from long term.

Part of the Detroit model was having players like Yzerman and Lidstrom, and until the end of their playing days, they mentored young talents at the time like Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

This is why I think we need an overhaul of our development at the very least and possibly modernizing the scouting/drafting.
Let's say for the sake of argument I give you Kopitar, even though I don't think he is teaching anyone anything. What pray tell are the young guys learning from Drew Doughty?

I am not sure Zetterberg helps your case. He will be long forgotten before Detroit contends again.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
It’s crystal clear there, doesn’t require any “reading into”.

Yes, it's crystal clear when he says that living in good weather actually makes him want to go to the rink more.....

Like I said, people will read what people will read into it, you think Doughty, one of the most competitive players on the planet, is complacent, think about that for a minute, you guys call him out on his maturity because he's arguing with refs, or chirping etc, yea, that's the mark of complacency ffs,

You guys are serious too, that's the scary part.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Let's say for the sake of argument I give you Kopitar, even though I don't think he is teaching anyone anything. What pray tell are the young guys learning from Drew Doughty?

I am not sure Zetterberg helps your case. He will be long forgotten before Detroit contends again.

From Doughty? How to compete, how to leave it all out there on the ice, and how to have fun in the game....3 very important qualities....

Jun 30, 2006
Yes, it's crystal clear when he says that living in good weather actually makes him want to go to the rink more.....

Except he didn’t say just that. He specifically brought up the proximity to the beach and DL. Do you even know why DL hated using the beach/weather in pitching players?

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
This thread's getting a little feverish. I refuse to analyze the psychology of players based on close reading of tweets. This reminds me of the times we get mad at a coach for not "holding players accountable" because he doesn't berate them in public for our catharsis.

I see two "plausible" scenarios, but maybe you guys can think of more:

Plan A is fire the coach - even if he has a surefire plan, he's lost the team - find a new coach and work with him to figure out what kind of team we can realistically transition to, and have a plan in place over the next x years. Personnel decisions are not made until that point (unless there are clear problems with some players, as alluded to in Helene's tweet),

Plan B is keep Stevens and potentially trade those disengaged players that Helene is alluding to. Stevens and Blake already have a clear, step-by step plan for what they want this team to be, and Blake uses as his guiding principle in making personnel decisions going forward.

Which one sounds more plausible to you?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Except he didn’t say just that. He specifically brought up the proximity to the beach and DL. Do you even know why DL hated using the beach/weather in pitching players?

Except, here is what he said,

"“I’ve been in LA for already ten years now and everything about being in LA is just amazing,” he said. “The hockey organization is top class and being able to live there, in California, you get to live your own life. I’m building a new house there, ready to start my family there, I’m getting married this summer. I love being in LA, I love being by the beach – and I know Dean used to hate when I said that – but it’s amazing. Driving to the rink in nice weather every day makes you want to be there more and that was definitely a factor in re-signing there. I never wanted to leave there, to be honest.”

Bolded the part you said he never said...

Amazing what lengths some of you guys go to to make shit up

Jun 30, 2006
Except, here is what he said,

"“I’ve been in LA for already ten years now and everything about being in LA is just amazing,” he said. “The hockey organization is top class and being able to live there, in California, you get to live your own life. I’m building a new house there, ready to start my family there, I’m getting married this summer. I love being in LA, I love being by the beach – and I know Dean used to hate when I said that – but it’s amazing. Driving to the rink in nice weather every day makes you want to be there more and that was definitely a factor in re-signing there. I never wanted to leave there, to be honest.”

Bolded the part you said he never said...

Amazing what lengths some of you guys go to to make **** up

Re-read what I said. I said not JUST that. He specifically mentioned the beach and DL.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Doughty has always been on top of things. He is first or at the top of the roster every training camp when it comes to fitness testing. Never just relies on his superior talent to get by, etc., etc.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Doughty has always been on top of things. He is first or at the top of the roster every training camp when it comes to fitness testing. Never just relies on his superior talent to get by, etc., etc.

No one is saying that, but your right hos whole summer at the beach even in season practice then just goes and watches the waves....freaking ridiculous

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I think Kopitar and Doughty have a great wealth of experience of being able to help connect to younger players on how to read the opposition, how to play their positions, how they've managed their ups and downs.

They have a successful resume and can impart experience and knowledge to younger guys in ways that an older coach may not know how. Plus they just have more credibility with their success.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Jun 30, 2006
Yes he said DL didn't like him talking about proximity to beach..... and??? From that you pull out of your rear end that doughty is complacent, thsts asinine

Not from my rear end, his words and current play so far speaks for itself there sparky. I wouldn’t say complacent either but rather entitled.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Do I wish Doughty was more mature? Absolutely
Do I wish Doughty would use his wrist shot? Oh god yes
Do I wish Doughty was a better PP QB? Every single day
Do I think Doughty's play is an issue? Absolutely not. The guy continues to play damn near half of every game carrying some corpse as a partner while playing at (or near) Norris level.

I understand the knives are out and everyone needs to play better, but use some damn perspective

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Do I think Doughty's play is an issue? Absolutely not. The guy continues to play damn near half of every game carrying some corpse as a partner while playing at (or near) Norris level.

I understand the knives are out and everyone needs to play better, but use some damn perspective

Dude perspective was gone once the first goal went in......but my god people are just...unreal.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

I think Doughty is an outstanding talent. I also think he isn't much of a leader and needs other more mature players around him for the team to have success.

From my perspective this is the same core that has won one playoff game over the last four seasons and is on its way to missing the playoffs this season. Are we going to see the roster turn over to the point the Kings will be contenders again before several more years pass? Are Kopitar and Doughty going to be the leaders of that roster? From my perspective, not likely.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScoreZeGoals

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think Doughty is an outstanding talent. I also think he isn't much of a leader and needs other more mature players around him for the team to have success.

Absolutely, no one is arguing otherwise, I am arguing against the guy who said he is complacent because he likes living near the beach, that's asinine. No person who is complacent, would bother throwing the tantrums that Doughty does, that's the EXACT opposite of complacent.

Is he immature, sure, probably, I chalk it more up to an insane desire to win at all costs....but yea, he absolutely needs guys like Mitchell, Regehyr, Stoll etc around him.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Which is fine. Lots of players like that over the years and hell sometimes leaders are cliquish and an asshole, like Messier. Doesn't make me dislike Doughty.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Which is fine. Lots of players like that over the years and hell sometimes leaders are cliquish and an *******, like Messier. Doesn't make me dislike Doughty.
I don't dislike Doughty. He isn't my favorite player of all-time by a long shot. I marvel at his talent, but he leaves me wanting more when it comes to fulfilling his potential and filling the leadership void left by Williams, Stoll, Greene, Mitchell, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad