Post-Game Talk: GM 4 | Welcome to Skid Row | Flames def. Canucks 5-2 (Virtanen, Myers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Ok but where is Hunter now? For years Granlund provided us 10-15 minutes of ice time he totally definitely 100% deserved consisting of lackluster offensive/terrifying defensive hockey, we clearly won the trade. Hunter didn't provide either of those things.
"For years" implies a significant amount of time.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Disorganized mess. Give Calgary credit cause they took us apart when they brought pressure and on their breakouts but you've got to withstand that a lot better than the Canucks were doing. Many of the endless penalties were forced by players getting constantly out of position.

Good

Virtanen - far and away his best game although surely not over the top good - but among the rest of the forwards did stand out some. Skating better and making some heads up plays. Started drifting away as the game went on but hard to keep focus when the game is getting way on you that bad. In the end, however, Virtanen is a really weak reed to lean on and it is just as likely he will not show up next game.

Bad

Pettersson - seems to want to prove his manhood out there. Going out of the play to make useless hits and taking bad penalties. Looks like he has come into the season absolutely unready. Not getting himself any space to make a play and out of sync with teammates.

Boeser - doing next to nothing. Skating got loggy at times and fumbling with chances too much. Pettersson line looks a mess.

Horvat - has to be better than this. Loses his wheels and his game falls off a cliff. Work on PP was very poor as he was n mostly a pylon and never making himself anything of an option

Joulevi - ok he can't play - we kind of knew this. Terrible draft choice. Thachuk comparison makes you a little ill. Or actually very ill. Just one more of a litany of bozo moves by the Bozo running the team.

Hamonic - started well but then got back to gifting the other team chances. Play around is net is way to scrabbly.

Beagle - pathetic - shouldn't be in the League. One more year to go on his contract after this one. I'd say right now he's the biggest pylon on the team and that's saying something. How do we end up with such long term crap. Oh ya - Benning

Demko - some good saves but his puck handling was brutal and as the game went on Calgary shooters started to exploit him. Looks like he has some significant holes in his game. That said, he was under near constant pressure for much of the game as the Flames continually drove the puck deep into his crease. Ended up with a lot of frantic melees all around him

Others

Miller - not good but he'll need some time to get his legs under him

Gaudette - least he got chances. Nightmare in his own end

Myers - lots to criticize but at least there was some effort in his play. Might have been our best defenseman and that tells you something about how bad we've been on the back end.

Hughes - misses Tanev so bad. Play is too erratic.

Sutter - might have made enough decent plays not to be called bad. But he was far from good and overall is more or less done as effective NHL player.

Hoglander - starting to come to earth. Still seems the most likely to score but Calgary mostly checked him out of the play.

Last year Canucks got in similar games with Calgary where they were completely outplayed but had Markstrom to save them. Now he is in the other end thanks to the our management. As I have already said I expect a desperation deal out of Benning, which will sell off more of our future, incoming. This team will go no where as long as Benning is in charge and the repair work needed to overcome the damage already done will likely take years.

Posted earlier but seemingly got deleted. Not sure of the reason but maybe moderator can get back to me. Is calling Benning a Bozo out of line. Think he has been called worse.

Last edited:

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Canucks are gonna get destroyed in the national media. This is the worse year to tank because eyes are the country are on every Canadian team. Main boards are already unbearable with our slow start.

Reactions: Dab

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Uncle Loui lou, where are you?
We got some work to do now.
Uncle Loui lou, where are you?
We need some help from you now.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Disorganized mess. Give Calgary credit cause they took us apart when they brought pressure and on their breakouts but you've got to withstand that a lot better than the Canucks were doing. Many of the endless penalties were forced by players getting constantly out of position.

Good

Virtanen - far and away his best game although surely not over the top good - but among the rest of the forwards did stand out some. Skating better and making some heads up plays. Started drifting away as the game went on but hard to keep focus when the game is getting way on you that bad. In the end, however, Virtanen is a really weak reed to lean on and it is just as likely he will not show up next game.

Bad

Pettersson - seems to want to prove his manhood out there. Going out of the play to make useless hits and taking bad penalties. Looks like he has come into the season absolutely unready. Not getting himself any space to make a play and out of sync with teammates.

Boeser - doing next to nothing. Skating got loggy at times and fumbling with chances too much. Pettersson line looks a mess.

Horvat - has to be better than this. Loses his wheels and his game falls off a cliff. Work on PP was very poor as he was n mostly a pylon and never making himself anything of an option

Joulevi - ok he can't play - we kind of knew this. Terrible draft choice. Thachuk comparison makes you a little ill. Or actually very ill. Just one more of a litany of bozo moves by the Bozo running the team.

Hamonic - started well but then got back to gifting the other team chances. Play around is net is way to scrabbly.

Beagle - pathetic - shouldn't be in the League. One more year to go on his contract after this one. I'd say right now he's the biggest pylon on the team and that's saying something. How do we end up with such long term crap. Oh ya - Benning

Demko - some good saves but his puck handling was brutal and as the game went on Calgary shooters started to exploit him. Looks like he has some significant holes in his game. That said, he was under near constant pressure for much of the game as the Flames continually drove the puck deep into his crease. Ended up with a lot of frantic melees all around him

Others

Miller - not good but he'll need some time to get his legs under him

Gaudette - least he got chances. Nightmare in his own end

Myers - lots to criticize but at least there was some effort in his play. Might have been our best defenseman and that tells you something about how bad we've been on the back end.

Hughes - misses Tanev so bad. Play is too erratic.

Sutter - might have made enough decent plays not to be called bad. But he was far from good and overall is more or less done as effective NHL player.

Hoglander - starting to come to earth. Still seems the most likely to score but Calgary mostly checked him out of the play.

Last year Canucks got in similar games with Calgary where they were completely outplayed but had Markstrom to save them. Now he is in the other end thanks to the our management. As I have already said I expect a desperation deal out of Benning, which will sell off more of our future, incoming. This team will go no where as long as Benning is in charge and the repair work needed to overcome the damage already done will likely take years.

Posted earlier but seemingly got deleted.
Who the **** gives a NTC to a 4th line forward? And they used to say Gillis handed out NTCs like candy.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The only thing that troubles me is that when you break it all down, the Canucks are just a poor defensive team. Have been for years now. They just bleed turnovers, shots on goal and defensive breakdowns.

Defensive hockey is something that can be taught by a good, systems-drive coach. So why do we see the same nightmarish defense year after year?

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Canucks are gonna get destroyed in the national media. This is the worse year to tank because eyes are the country are on every Canadian team. Main boards are already unbearable with our slow start.
If tanking is the best thing for this franchise, you do what's best for your future regardless of outside media/fan perception.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
As a Oilers fan, I think the only way our teams can win is if we somehow combined our rosters.

Petterson - McDavid - Miller
RNH - Draisaitl - Boeser
Yamamoto - Horvat - Pearson

Hughes - Schmidt
Nurse - Edler

Pretend that one of us signed Markstrom
Koskinen

Probably still lose to the damn Golden Knights though.

Lawzy

May 27, 2011
BC
I think you have to bring in Eriksson and drop Hoglander down to the third. The fact that the Canucks seem to do better with Eriksson in the lineup isn't particular perplexing if you ask me. It allows the second line to do the serious defensive lifting and other lines to get good matchups. In this case, the third line might actually do something now that Hoglander can carry the sorry lot. That was our 1 game of the week where Virtanen doesn't look entirely brain dead so we'll need someone on that line that can positively affect the game.

Last edited:

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I think you have to bring in Eriksson and drop Hoglander down to the third. The fact that the Canucks seem to do better with Eriksson in the lineup isn't particular perplexing if you ask me. It allows the second line to do the serious defensive lifting and other lines to get good matchups. In this case, the third line might actually do something now that Hoglander can carry the sorry lot. That was our 1 game of the week where Virtanen doesn't look entirely brain dead so we'll need someone on that line that can positively affect the game.
Wouldnt you just put Erikssom on the 3rd for D duties and have line 2 for scoring.

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
The one good thing coming out of these games is Schmidt has been pretty solid.
Yeah, nothing flashy but he’s been steady so far. Plays tough minutes with some garbage forwards in front of him without many noticeable mistakes.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
That game was a misery for my eyes. Random thoughts:

--Look at the 2nd Calgary goal. Every skater on the Canucks was within about two feet of the goal, yet somehow nobody on the Flames was checked. That's just not good enough.

--First period looked good, then total collapse. I'm surprised the zamboni needed to scrape the Flames' end after the 2nd period.

--Losing Tanev and Markstrom is...just freakin' awful. I knew at the time we'd be in for some hurt down the road for losing your stud MVP goalie and best defensive dman on a poor defensive team, but losing them to the f***ing Flames? Who we'll be playing like ten times or something with this stupid schedule? That's the stuff of nightmares. Fitting of course how even Leivo looked decent for them. Just the latest in the long line of examples of Jimbo's masterful ability to turn something into nothing.

--Demko may have channeled a 4x6 brick wall in the playoffs, but he's back down to Earth now. Both he and Holtby have made bad puck handling gaffes so far...but the real problem is in front of them.

--Like, for example, Juolevi. For Buddha's sake, if you're not going to play the kid, just sit him down already. I mean, I get why they're not playing him. That's obvious every time he's in his own zone under pressure. But there's just no leeway this year if he's not ready for the NHL grind, and of course at this point the question seriously needs to be raised if he ever will be. We've beaten the draft pick thing to death now so I won't belabour the point further. Time to cut bait and move on from this bad decision.

--Edler bailing on a Lucic forecheck and coughing up the puck for a PPG against was...not fun to see. Too many bad memories.

--Front line looking frustrated and dead, but I have confidence they'll work through things. The PP isn't going to get shut out forever. Once they start scoring, I think the swagger and confidence will return. Not worried about Petey, Brock or the rest of the top 6. It's just everything behind them I'm worried about.

--Still really like Hoglander. One nice surprise to start the season. Schmidt looked good. Hughes looked good but frustrated; tried to do too much with individualistic play. Myers was good tonight, for him. Hamonic...well, the price was right.

--Gaudette and Virtanen had some good offensive flashes but were a complete mess defensively. See: second Calgary goal. Bottom six was bad. Again. So much money tied up in so little on-ice results.

Aaaaargh.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Playing Juolevi 7 minutes a night is silly. Either play him or sit him for somebody you will play.

Yeah. It's just silly to have a guy there, that you know you aren't going to play. But it's not even just the 7 minutes tonight...it's how those minutes are composed. If it's more like the 10-12 minutes from previous nights, and he were actually going to be used to play some sort of special teams function, that's not untenable. But you can't have a bottom pairing guy playing that little at even strength, while also not contributing to Special Teams (ideally the PK to take some load off guys who are clearly struggling under the weight of it). You just can't have a bottom-pairing D on this team going "blank and blank" on both STs icetime columns. Heck, i wouldn't even mind if they gave him a little run on the PP at this point, the way the PP has stunk. Maybe it'd shake something up, who knows. At least it'd help to justify why he's even being put in the lineup.

Right now, obviously we don't have much alternative, because the team seemed to come in convinced that Juolevi and Rathbone were going to be part of the team, and didn't see fit to bring in another solid if unspectacular depth defenceman on a cheap 1-year deal. Huge oversight, to neglect vet defensive depth that the coach will play, in a condensed schedule season. Had to find a way to squeeze another minimum deal sort of depth guy in there at least. So that Jordie f***ing Benn being out with the Covid, doesn't completely break things this badly. Like, heaven forbid this team had lost a couple weeks of an actual defenceman...eeeeeesh.

We need to make Schmidt play with Hughes like the original plan was.

Wait, when was that the original plan? Hughes with Schmidt doesn't, and never has made any sense to me. They need to lean on those two, to each carry water skating and moving the puck for separate pairings. Especially in this micky mouse system Green has them trying to play.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
As a Oilers fan, I think the only way our teams can win is if we somehow combined our rosters.

Petterson - McDavid - Miller
RNH - Draisaitl - Boeser
Yamamoto - Horvat - Pearson

Hughes - Schmidt
Nurse - Edler

Pretend that one of us signed Markstrom
Koskinen

Probably still lose to the damn Golden Knights though.

Lol haha. Yes we'll still lose .

Reactions: Cloned

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
I feel humiliated as a fan, management and ownership should be cringing with absolute horrid embarrassment right now, being shutout by the goalie you've been grooming for what 6-7 years? Helped by the Defensive D-man ultimate leader you also groomed for nearly 10 years and in both cases you handed over to this rival for nothing.

Rasmus Andersson puts the nail in the coffin and Sven Baertschi is where to be found? We're lacking a right hand shot who can play up and down the lineup right now... Leivo was literally that guy.. That 6 game playoff series against them a few years ago and then us chasing Ferland because of it....Gross and disgusting, man. Calgary has our # we can't say jack to them for a very long time.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I feel humiliated as a fan, management and ownership should be cringing with absolute horrid embarrassment right now, being shutout by the goalie you've been grooming for what 6-7 years? Helped by the Defensive D-man ultimate leader you also groomed for nearly 10 years and in both cases you handed over to this rival for nothing.

Rasmus Andersson puts the nail in the coffin and Sven Baertschi is where to be found? We're lacking a right hand shot who can play up and down the lineup right now... Leivo was literally that guy.. That 6 game playoff series against them a few years ago and then us chasing Ferland because of it....Gross and disgusting, man. Calgary has our # we can't say jack to them for a very long time.
Agreed 100% with this. I cant even hate Calgary for all this, the Canucks brought it on themselves. All preventable moves. 2 years of Marky being elite and we cant resign him cause of 5 or 6 brutal contracts. Man would Tanev look good on our backend right now

Edler Schmidt
Hughes Tanev
Rathbone Whoever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad