GDT: GM 4: F @ W @ 4pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
I'd have more optimism about their chances if running out of steam weren't an issue in arguably every series since 2018. They're old and missing their biggest energy forward. They need rock solid five man unit support or else.

They also can't afford for Mantha to disappear. Hugely disappointing performance by him tonight. No shots, little puck control, few battles won. Such a key player.

Overall their 5v5 play has find ways to create chances more regularly. They can't merely lean on being opportunistic. They can still win but their center play (+Mantha) has to be more consistently engaged offensively.
So much depends on how the refs call the game. If it's called in a typical playoff mode, with more 5v5 time, the Caps will have more opportunities to roll 4 lines. Ovie had just over 19 minutes in an almost 65-minute game. All the penalties affected the Caps' ability to play their game.

Reactions: huge pair

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
It's just 2-2. The momentum swings from game to game. I don't understand the pessimism. Forget about this game and move to the next. In the playoffs it's always beneficial to have short memories.
Game 1 we surprised them in their building and won 4-2. Game 2 they responded and beat us 5-1. Game 3 we took it right back at them and beat 'em good 6-1. Game 4 they took it to us and kept pushing hard to come from behind and win it in OT. Series is tied and neither team has the momentum going into Game 5. Caps will make adjustments(less penalties and better neutral zone structure) and so will the Panthers. Game 5 will be big one for both teams.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Propably didnt deserve to win this one, but getting so close and blow it away with two spots to finish it up late just sucks hard.

Come on, put Ovie in there right away against the EN and get it done. I hate the coaching aspect that we seal that game almost every time in RS by the stick of Ovie, and then for some reason think its better to try and survive when it comes poff time. Have the heart of a hunter. Insert Ovie on that spot where we hit the post and its game over and we are heading off to Miami with the chance of eliminating the pres trophy winners.

On a bright side we almost won with a performance that leaves room to upgrade. Its a 50/50 series after this game by the way its been going and thats atleast a lot better than what the percentages were to start the series with.

If Sammy can continue on this level i like our chances.

Im 2/2 on the game predictions atleast. Guaranteed G3W and felt the OT today. Im not sureif i want to call G5, or leave some magic for later :)

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Shitty way to lose after missing those chances (MoJo breakaway, Fever breakaway) and an empty-netter late.

Oh well, it happens. You need to be absolutely ruthless to win a Playoff game with 16 shots and they weren't. On to the next one. Going to be an interesting G5, we'll see if we just fade away after such a tough loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil Racki

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
I'm happy to keep taking it in turns with the W's. We win game 5, they win game 6, we win game 7. Not a bad deal.

Man oh man if only that empty net icing/SOG went in....

This series is seeming like a competition of who can choke the least - came close to serving them a completely undeserved, heartbreak loss which isn't something were often on this side of.

If we get two games where some combination of Ovi, Kuzy, Mantha, Carlson and Sammy are on and everyone else is forgettable without big mistakes it might be enough to steal a couple.

They've shown they can hang with the president's trophy winners so whatever happens this isn't a playoff embarrassment at least.

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Well the good. Solid defense and goalkeeping keeping Florida to 2 or less goals in regulation in 3 out of 4 games. If we keep that up we will win the series.
I like that scoring is spread over the team this series.
I like game 5 away actually a lot of pressure on Florida.
Now time for Ovi so to step up.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I said after G2 (not 3 but 2)
"G4 : Washington will deserve to win. The lucky bounces won't be on our side and it will finish in OT"
I watched the first then went to sleep but it doesn't seems like WSH were the better team.

Spoiled by a Russian sport site today. Unfortunately clicked on and I see Caps' jersey in celebration mode but I didn't read the text. Immediately switched off the site. Then I thought "Caps must be up 3-1 now" . Decided to comeback on the site to read the text ...
:thumbd:

2nd period : almost 12 out of 20 minutes played not at EV. And the penalties are called every 3 minutes. How do you want to establish a good 5 on 5 presence. Just impossible.

Heart breaking loss. Inches away to advance to the 2nd round. And now they are tied.
Would be prefer a sweep by FLA, it would be less painful.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I wonder if the RMNB guy will complain again about site traffic going down the day after a loss and call people bad fans for not visiting his site.

Talk about a group that has really lost it. 50% fanboying over certain players, 10% weird TMZ like pieces, 40% relentless pessimism.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I wonder if the RMNB guy will complain again about site traffic going down the day after a loss and call people bad fans for not visiting his site.

Talk about a group that has really lost it. 50% fanboying over certain players, 10% weird TMZ like pieces, 40% relentless pessimism.
Was actually going to say I liked the one guys tweet yesterday. Regardless of outcome, the Caps are playing hard and this feels a hell of a lot better than the last 2 (arguably 3) playoffs. I thought they left a lot to be desired the past 3 playoffs. I’m not feeling that right now. Now let’s finish it.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Was actually going to say I liked the one guys tweet yesterday. Regardless of outcome, the Caps are playing hard and this feels a hell of a lot better than the last 2 (arguably 3) playoffs. I thought they left a lot to be desired the past 3 playoffs. I’m not feeling that right now. Now let’s finish it.
I mean yes, but lamenting that losses effect site traffic is a naked complaint regarding advertising income.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
This is a fair point, but after a loss like that, it’s hard to be optimistic. Just really a gut punch.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
The right call. I could have seen a minor penalty called in real time because it looked bad but Oshie didn't change his path or alter his angle on the hit. Bennett skates into him and initial contact is on the glove/stick which then hits his face.

Basically, Bennett took his face into Oshies shoulder. You can't suspend guys because one saw the contact coming and braced for it

Reactions: PlushMinus

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Propably didnt deserve to win this one, but getting so close and blow it away with two spots to finish it up late just sucks hard.

Come on, put Ovie in there right away against the EN and get it done. I hate the coaching aspect that we seal that game almost every time in RS by the stick of Ovie, and then for some reason think its better to try and survive when it comes poff time. Have the heart of a hunter. Insert Ovie on that spot where we hit the post and its game over and we are heading off to Miami with the chance of eliminating the pres trophy winners.

On a bright side we almost won with a performance that leaves room to upgrade. Its a 50/50 series after this game by the way its been going and thats atleast a lot better than what the percentages were to start the series with.

If Sammy can continue on this level i like our chances.

Im 2/2 on the game predictions atleast. Guaranteed G3W and felt the OT today. Im not sureif i want to call G5, or leave some magic for later :)
They went to the extra man with over 3 min left. You going to leave OV in there for 3 min?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am still just happy that we shoot for empty nets now. It used to kill me to see previous coaches deathly afraid of a possible DZone faceoff and make the guys do limp wristed clears that often didn't even make it out of the zone giving themselves a 0% chance of icing the game and just giving away rush after rush into our zone. coaching scared not trusting the 2 faceoff guys he puts out, all players, and G that afforded the lead in the first place.

Ovi would have had another 10-20 goals if allowed to shoot at ENGs over his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille