GDT: GM 4: F @ W @ 4pm PST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Probably a good thing since a 3-1 series lead for the Caps is traditionally a curse. They nearly beat Florida playing terrible hockey today. I say keep Sammie in and refocus for next game. Not having Wilson really hurts.
Well, it could have been worse considering the series expectations. Yes, Sam should definitely remain in the net. Not sure when Wilson will be ready to come back. We really need him now since the momentum has shifted against us.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Their legs look to be the biggest factor against them now IMO. You can only grind and support/discipline for so long without that extra killer instinct. They had it on the 2-1 goal but just not nearly enough threatening chances throughout.

They very well may have missed their window here in this series. Either way I don't know how long they can sustain playing this way. Wilson would have been a big help but it's just a lot of older, slower players up front that don't possess a very robust game.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It's just 2-2. The momentum swings from game to game. I don't understand the pessimism. Forget about this game and move to the next. In the playoffs it's always beneficial to have short memories.

Yeah each team has played two good games and each team has had two stinkers. It’s an even series, no team is head and shoulders better.

It’s not like Tampa, Toronto, Calgary, Carolina, etc. are dominant either. Lots of changes in momentum around the league. Only Colorado and maybe Pittsburgh look great right now.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Call me an optimist but I don’t see Oshie getting suspended.
Same. They didn’t even entertain the Bennett hit on Carlson in game 1 and Bennett didn’t miss any time after the Oshie hit tonight. I also don’t know what else Oshie could have done beside not hit the guy. He was upright with the arms tucked in the whole way

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
we were 3 inches from winning i wouldnt give up just yet

We've seen this scenario too many times. We just don't have the legs to win this series. I mean at home with all the momentum in the world, we couldn't be bothered to get 1 second of offensive zone time. It was a well deserved loss.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
On the one hand it’s really amazing to see the effort they are putting in. They are playing I think to almost their best possible level. On the other hand it’s sad to see how little margin we have and how we are so slow. But playoff hockey isn’t about speed and pretty goals so it’s working. Just hope it’s enough.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Not enough legs. Not enough skill.
I’ll say it again. We were DOMINATED man to man at each and every position, each and every skater with the exception of Kuznetsov. They were catching up to our skaters and knocking them off pucks left and right. Even Gudas was faster than Eller. We lost 70% of the board battles in the neutral zone.

If this will be the dynamic for the rest of the series, it’s over.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Same. They didn’t even entertain the Bennett hit on Carlson in game 1 and Bennett didn’t miss any time after the Oshie hit tonight. I also don’t know what else Oshie could have done beside not hit the guy. He was upright with the arms tucked in the whole way

It’s less that he couldn’t have done anything (he could have aborted the hit) but more that there was no injury and there is some question in my mind if it was Bennett’s stick that caught himself in the face rather than Oshie’s shoulder.

It just doesn’t seem to rise to the level of a 2 game regular season suspension (equivalent of 1 playoff game). I could imagine a 1 game regular season suspension, but not 2. And I don’t think they round up.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
I'm going to say something that shouldn't be controversial....Ovechkin hasn't been great for large periods of time this series. Need him to have a good game next game.
He cant create much on his own anymore. Hes too slow now, he has to have help. I dont mean to harp on mantha but my god he was going half speed. Maybe hes hurt, who knows.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I don't think it's legs. I don't think it's age. We have seen them do this all season - they just lose interest. Serious motivation issue with this team. I have been harping on this team needing to find consistency for months now.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
Call me greedy but I cant live off 2018 forever when we have the worlds best goal scorer in the history of the sport. I waited 40 years for 2018 but I want more. Guess I'm a greedy bastard.

Yea that is loser talk and I don't really get it... every other team seems to get multiple cup victories but the Caps... Pens 3, Hawks 3, Kings 2, Lightning 2.... Caps 1, even the bruins made it to multiple Finals and have a cup. The blues look like they're going to win another SC sometime soon, their team looks poised for this year as well. Caps on the other hand look slow and useless with 2 sieves for goalies. Just wasting OV's career away.

How GMBM still has a job is beyond me. Looking down the barrel of 4 straight one and done playoff failures.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
It's
Come in off the ledge. Drink a beer. Smoke a bowl. Hug your loved ones. Pet your dog. Sleep it off. Tune in Wednesday night for the first game in a best-of-three series.
Exactly. This series has been much more fun than the last 2. Also just 1 game ago we dominated them. Anything can happen next game, just f***ing win it.

Though I'm not confident on Samsonov. He might run out of fairy dust soon. Please Sammy prove me wrong!

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd have more optimism about their chances if running out of steam weren't an issue in arguably every series since 2018. They're old and missing their biggest energy forward. They need rock solid five man unit support or else.

They also can't afford for Mantha to disappear. Hugely disappointing performance by him tonight. No shots, little puck control, few battles won. Such a key player.

Overall their 5v5 play has find ways to create chances more regularly. They can't merely lean on being opportunistic. They can still win but their center play (+Mantha) has to be more consistently engaged offensively.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Come in off the ledge. Drink a beer. Smoke a bowl. Hug your loved ones. Pet your dog. Sleep it off. Tune in Wednesday night for the first game in a best-of-three series.
Well, if you insist

giphy.gif

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I don't think it's legs. I don't think it's age. We have seen them do this all season - they just lose interest. Serious motivation issue with this team. I have been harping on this team needing to find consistency for months now.
I think that’s being a little unfair. They’re people, not video game robots. For this matchup they’re expending a lot of energy staying responsible defensively and staying with the neutral zone structure so they don’t skate us off the ice.

It’s a tough loss, feels weirdly bad for just G4. Hopefully they have more mental fortitude than some of us fans, hehe - and can be road warriors again Wednesday.

Osh isn’t getting suspended on a no-call where no one was hurt and his intent to go high questionable. Probably a fine at worst.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
If I was Lavi, would just give the guys a day off tomorrow (not sure if they traveling tonight or tomorrow). Very very light optional skate Wednesday morning. No meetings, positional or otherwise. They already have a game plan. Everyone already knows the game plan. Nothing more.

Let the guys know that as 8th seed. They are playing with house money right now. That's all it is and there really is no pressure as no one expects much anyways.

But, I'll also let them know that it's up to them if they want to turn that house money into something real on Wednesday. Something they want to hang their hats on. Push the chips in or cash out?

But if they decide to push, it has to be as one and all. Nothing more has to be said or planned or schemed. Say no more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino