Post-Game Talk: GM 3: Sharks def. Canucks 5-2 - Lead Series 3-0 - FIRE EVERYTHING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
If I was a betting man, I'd bet my entire life savings that we lose the next game.

Thankfully I'm not a betting man. :laugh:

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
Oh jeezus guys, I'm here in the Cameron Highlands of Malaysia, heading to the steaming jungle lowlands on the Straits of Malacca tomorrow, en route across the South China Sea to the island of Borneo.

So the news from home about the Canucks and their ongoing epic fail seems surreal, but also sadly familiar. I agree that something has to change, drastically. I had hoped that we'd still be alive in the playoffs when I get back to Vancouver on the 20th . . . but that's extremely unlikely, I realize now. It's been a hard read tonight, reading this thread and others while the rain pounds down on the roof of this isolated jungle hotel. But thanks for filling me in, no matter how grim the news has been. Take care, and let's hope some big changes will be made since the team is obviously sliding backward as things stand now :(

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
LOL at the Stanley Cup main boards, the haterade of fans wishing us to lose is baffling. [mod]

Anyways, after sleeping a rather good sleep last night..**** is still the same. I was thinking if the coach has tuned them out or the "players are running the asylum" sorta thing

Led by none other than Casual Kev

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
meh, hearing av spouting his usual drivel such as he liked where the team was at after two periods and taking no accountability at all for a second consecutive 3-0 first round deficit tells me all i need to know about the guy...this season was a lost cause from the start with him at the helm and the canucks will improve next season by default with a new staff

was way angrier when the canucks were at this exact spot a season ago embarrassing themselves in the playoffs for the 3rd time in 4 playoff seasons...to see it happen 4 out of 5 is just par for the course at this point

av's broken record 'it is what it is' bull**** could apply to the canucks status in this series or the franchise in general...almost every core player has some kind of issue and is trending downwards, prospect pool isn't exactly deep, there's an almost historical playoff scoring drought going on, and they won't have the northwest division to beat up on any longer next year...the playoffs are no longer guaranteed with the new division structure next season, especially since goaltending is in for a guaranteed downgrade with luongo getting traded in the summer

lots of exciting and inspired hockey getting played around the league at the moment, nothing to see here

dc

May 11, 2010
Monterrey, Mexico
Don't know any other coach who would be happier about his team playing from behind going into the final period for the second game in a row.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
The way this team has fallen is something epic. It's just unbelievable the descent this team is on right now.

They can't score a goal to save their lives, generating a dangerous scoring chance seems next to impossible and they have zero backbone. The meltdowns are just ridiculous, how many times is this team going to give up a goal in the playoffs, only to give up another one or even two in the span of a minute? That's a sign of poor leadership and not wanting it bad enough.

The team is broken from 2011. Ever since Game 5 of the SCF they haven't been the same. Where is the swagger? Where is the confidence? Where is the puck movement? Where is the energy? All of it died in Boston.

Sad to see this core group go out LIKE THIS. Outside of Kesler and Luongo, hard to find a single Canuck who's brought it in this series.

Raymond, Roy, Higgins, Hansen, Kassian all generate next to nothing. Roy looks like he's already exploring the UFA market, Higgins looks lazy (which is tough since he is known for his work ethic), Hansen is too inconsistent to play in the top 6, Raymond needs to be let go and should have years ago (LIVES on the perimeter) and Kassian, wow is he just lost.

Gillis has some real questions to answer, and when you look at his moves objectively you see failure in a lot of them.

• A 1st and Grabner (2 Firsts) for Keith Ballard....really? A guy who can't even crack your lineup?
  • Marco Sturm signing. Gross.
  • David Booth. Unmitigated disaster.
  • Not dealing Roberto Luongo and having a MONSTROUS goalie controversy hanging over this team. Yeah, sure, we could have had Cannata or Scrivens starting for us in Game 1, but with the effort this team has laid forth and it's production, would it have mattered?
  • Letting Torres and Ehrhoff walk. Then trying to reacquire Torres at the deadline and failing.
  • Trading Hodgson - a producing asset for a RAW rookie in Kassian for a team trying to win now. Was there not a better return available?
  • Resigning Edler when he's shown serious signs of regression and poor decision making.

He has no choice but to fire AV and that's assuming ownership doesn't throw him overboard as well.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
This sort of stuff is absolute idiocy.

You buy out Booth and Ballard, let Raymond go, solve the goaltending issue, and spend that money on another good defender and another quality second line player.

With those two pieces in place, this team should be a legitimate contender for another 2-3 years.

And Vigneault will of course be gone.

Seriously. Not a complicated summer for Gillis.

One thing I'd like to see them address is better organizational depth at positions that MATTER. The #4 center on a team with Ryan Kesler cannot be Andrew Ebbett. They really need some versatile wingers who can shift over to the middle when (like, say, San Jose!) when players inevitably get injured.

Ditto D. Ballard-Alberts-Barker-Joslin at the 6-7-8-9 spot was basically a disaster.

In the meantime we have $10 million tied up in goaltending and can't make room for guys like Booth and Kassian in the top 6.

Honestly I pin more of these last two years on Gillis than I do on AV. AV deserves to be gone, but lots of questionable decisions by Gillis in the last two years:

-Keeping Raymond at $2.5M, letting Torres walk at $1.75M
-Keeping Ballard and letting Ehrhoff walk
-Keeping Alberts at $1.25M, letting Rome walk at $1.5M (I know Rome has his haters but he's a LOT better than Alberts)
-Cam. Barker.
-The Luongo debacle
-Andrew Ebbett, NHL forward
-Sami Pahlsson

The team has basically bled talent since 2011.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Seriously. Not a complicated summer for Gillis.

One thing I'd like to see them address is better organizational depth at positions that MATTER. The #4 center on a team with Ryan Kesler cannot be Andrew Ebbett. They really need some versatile wingers who can shift over to the middle when (like, say, San Jose!) when players inevitably get injured.

Ditto D. Ballard-Alberts-Barker-Joslin at the 6-7-8-9 spot was basically a disaster.

In the meantime we have $10 million tied up in goaltending and can't make room for guys like Booth and Kassian in the top 6.

Honestly I pin more of these last two years on Gillis than I do on AV. AV deserves to be gone, but lots of questionable decisions by Gillis in the last two years:

-Keeping Raymond at $2.5M, letting Torres walk at $1.75M
-Keeping Ballard and letting Ehrhoff walk
-Keeping Alberts at $1.25M, letting Rome walk at $1.5M (I know Rome has his haters but he's a LOT better than Alberts)
-Cam. Barker.
-The Luongo debacle
-Andrew Ebbett, NHL forward
-Sami Pahlsson

The team has basically bled talent since 2011.
1) Sedin
2 or 3) Kesler
2 or 3) Roy with ****'in Higgins - jeebus....
4) Lappy

Gillis has made his share of mistakes, but that is all on AV. And I am assuming Schroeder was too hurt to play. If he wasn't; that merely add more reasons to send AV to the EI office.

As for Alberts vs Rome. No question Rome is the better player - but not for this team with AV as coach.

1) Alberts didn't play all that bad in the post-season
2) AV would've used Rome *alot more* - which *would* be a problem. As a 3rd pairing guy, Rome > Alberts. Rome with increased responsibilities is more of a negative than playing Alberts on the 3rd pairing.

Last edited:

dc

May 11, 2010
Monterrey, Mexico
The way this team has fallen is something epic. It's just unbelievable the descent this team is on right now.

They can't score a goal to save their lives, generating a dangerous scoring chance seems next to impossible and they have zero backbone. The meltdowns are just ridiculous, how many times is this team going to give up a goal in the playoffs, only to give up another one or even two in the span of a minute? That's a sign of poor leadership and not wanting it bad enough.

The team is broken from 2011. Ever since Game 5 of the SCF they haven't been the same. Where is the swagger? Where is the confidence? Where is the puck movement? Where is the energy? All of it died in Boston.

Sad to see this core group go out LIKE THIS. Outside of Kesler and Luongo, hard to find a single Canuck who's brought it in this series.

Raymond, Roy, Higgins, Hansen, Kassian all generate next to nothing. Roy looks like he's already exploring the UFA market, Higgins looks lazy (which is tough since he is known for his work ethic), Hansen is too inconsistent to play in the top 6, Raymond needs to be let go and should have years ago (LIVES on the perimeter) and Kassian, wow is he just lost.

Gillis has some real questions to answer, and when you look at his moves objectively you see failure in a lot of them.

• A 1st and Grabner (2 Firsts) for Keith Ballard....really? A guy who can't even crack your lineup?
  • Marco Sturm signing. Gross.
  • David Booth. Unmitigated disaster.
  • Not dealing Roberto Luongo and having a MONSTROUS goalie controversy hanging over this team. Yeah, sure, we could have had Cannata or Scrivens starting for us in Game 1, but with the effort this team has laid forth and it's production, would it have mattered?
  • Letting Torres and Ehrhoff walk. Then trying to reacquire Torres at the deadline and failing.
  • Trading Hodgson - a producing asset for a RAW rookie in Kassian for a team trying to win now. Was there not a better return available?
  • Resigning Edler when he's shown serious signs of regression and poor decision making.

He has no choice but to fire AV and that's assuming ownership doesn't throw him overboard as well.

Doesn't help that he exchanged Hodgson for Kassian. How good would Hodgson and Grabner look in our top six right now? Raymond and Kassian definitely can't play there full time.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Doesn't help that he exchanged Hodgson for Kassian. How good would Hodgson and Grabner look in our top six right now? Raymond and Kassian definitely can't play there full time.

We would have lost Grabner on waivers anyways. I don't have a huge problem with that deal, very difficult to foresee how things went down.

I really doubt Hodgson would have made a difference this series.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
1) Sedin
2 or 3) Kesler
2 or 3) Roy with ****'in Higgins - jeebus....
4) Lappy

Gillis has made his share of mistakes, but that is all on AV. And I am assuming Schroeder was too hurt to play. If he wasn't; that merely add more reasons to send AV to the EI office.

yeah, just can't understand all the articles coming out complaining about the canucks depth down the middle...it should be a strength of this team but av

most playoff teams would've been freaking ecstatic to have roy and lapierre as 3c and 4c...i mean the sharks are playing scott gomez as a c for freaking sakes

dc

May 11, 2010
Monterrey, Mexico
We would have lost Grabner on waivers anyways. I don't have a huge problem with that deal, very difficult to foresee how things went down.

I really doubt Hodgson would have made a difference this series.

Gillis essentially made the decision to choose Raymond over Grabner. Maybe the correct decision at the time, but obviously a mistake - especially when you factor in how awful that trade was.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Kesler is basically not a center this year. The best game this team has played in the playoffs came with him on the wing.

No one is going to be believe anything you say about Kesler. Trust me, I've tried.

If appeared that way because Roy was neutered playing alongside the likes of Raymond. And considering our "success" in the faceoff circle; Kesler has to play center (or at least take the faceoffs).

arsmaster*

No one is going to be believe anything you say about Kesler. Trust me, I've tried.

Yeah, because you've constantly tried to move the only guy who gives an effort when it matters.

Question his ability at C, when he absolutely made Joe Thornton (a guy who was over 60% against every other C) his biatch in the circle. 67% on the draw, and he's not a good C.

You guys can have fun believing that.

Kesler is the most complete C on the team, and actually plays with emotion.

Imagine if Hank would have butt ended someone in the face 5 years ago...he might have some respect around the league from officials for defending himself.

I was outright embarassed by #33 last night, playing like a little ***** after going down 5-1.

Where is that agitation ever? Nowhere. Just trying to make it look like he cares. Tired of it, and embarassed those jerseys will join Naslund's in our laughable rafters.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Gillis essentially made the decision to choose Raymond over Grabner. Maybe the correct decision at the time, but obviously a mistake - especially when you factor in how awful that trade was.

Not sure why this needs to be said yet again....

How many points does Grabner have this post-season against the crap goaltending of Fleury? One assist. Raymond's been awful but Grabner hasn't helped the Islanders in the offensive department either.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Damn, looking at the Hamhuis goal makes me feel sad.

He's full out depressed right now, he probably wants to call out players who aren't giving a ****

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Why do we keep talking about Grabner? Do people forget he was waived by the Panthers?

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Kesler is Olli Jokinen.

A big fast guy with a great shot; a centre who should play wing.

He's never looked better than when on the wing.

Jokinen is a bit underated defensively; but that's where Kesler shines - when he matches up against the other teams main center.

Flash Walken

May 10, 2005
Vancouver
Not sure why this needs to be said yet again....

How many points does Grabner have this post-season against the crap goaltending of Fleury? One assist.

I'm not going to wade too deeply into either side here, but points are contextless and Grabner has been great this playoff for the Islanders, one of their best players.

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Damn, looking at the Hamhuis goal makes me feel sad.

He's full out depressed right now, he probably wants to call out players who aren't giving a ****

To be honest, Hamhuis has been a letdown this season. He doesn't look like the same defender we could put out against other teams top lines and be confident anymore.

Looks as worn out and as drained as the rest of the group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad