Post-Game Talk: GM 3: Sharks def. Canucks 5-2 - Lead Series 3-0 - FIRE EVERYTHING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
To be honest, Hamhuis has been a letdown this season. He doesn't look like the same defender we could put out against other teams top lines and be confident anymore.

Saying that Hamhuis has been bad is basically the quickest way of admitting you have zero ability to evaluate the performance of a hockey player. Jesus Christ.

Flash Walken

May 10, 2005
Vancouver
To be honest, Hamhuis has been a letdown this season. He doesn't look like the same defender we could put out against other teams top lines and be confident anymore.

Looks as worn out and as drained as the rest of the group.

He has to defend against his own defensive partner half the time. That's gotta be exhausting.

dc

May 11, 2010
Monterrey, Mexico
Not sure why this needs to be said yet again....

How many points does Grabner have this post-season against the crap goaltending of Fleury? One assist. Raymond's been awful but Grabner hasn't helped the Islanders in the offensive department either.

Grabner is a great PK'er and actually uses his speed to drive to the net - unlike Raymond who uses it to drive to the outside hashmarks for a weak wrister.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
We gave up him and a first round pick for Ballard. Who cares what Florida did with him after. Still an awful trade.

It puts into context how much he was worth at the time - very little.

dc

May 11, 2010
Monterrey, Mexico
Hamhuis has been on par with Garrison for being our best d-man. Don't know what you're watching. It's easy to look good when you have Bieksa and Edler on your team, though.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Yeah, because you've constantly tried to move the only guy who gives an effort when it matters.

Question his ability at C, when he absolutely made Joe Thornton (a guy who was over 60% against every other C) his biatch in the circle. 67% on the draw, and he's not a good C.

You guys can have fun believing that.

Kesler is the most complete C on the team, and actually plays with emotion.

Imagine if Hank would have butt ended someone in the face 5 years ago...he might have some respect around the league from officials for defending himself.

I was outright embarassed by #33 last night, playing like a little ***** after going down 5-1.

Where is that agitation ever? Nowhere. Just trying to make it look like he cares. Tired of it, and embarassed those jerseys will join Naslund's in our laughable rafters.

This reeks of a person who has never played a team sport.

This will be the last I speak of that.

dc

May 11, 2010
Monterrey, Mexico
It puts into context how much he was worth at the time - very little.

Because Florida is an excellent organization at evaluating talent. He's 25 and already has a 30+ goal season under his belt, and would have three 20 goal seasons already in this first three years if this season wasn't shortened.

John Bender*

Meh. Everyone already knows. Never got the dislike for Luongo's "attitude" around here or the love-in for Schneider's.

Really? Lu for years would deflect his bad play and project it on the team instead. Schneider never does that. Only in the last two years has Lu changed and you can bet the Canucks had him sit with their pr experts for "training" in that regard.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Because Florida is an excellent organization at evaluating talent. He's 25 and already has a 30+ goal season under his belt, and would have three 20 goal seasons already in this first three years if this season wasn't shortened.

Nonis passed him up on waivers (the guy that drafted him) and then Arniel (who coached him in Manitoba) also passed him up on waivers. Both teams needed scoring.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Really? Lu for years would deflect his bad play and project it on the team instead. Schneider never does that. Only in the last two years has Lu changed and you can bet the Canucks had him sit with their pr experts for "training" in that regard.

Wow :facepalm:

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Saying that Hamhuis has been bad is basically the quickest way of admitting you have zero ability to evaluate the performance of a hockey player. Jesus Christ.

Are you kidding me? You think Hamhuis has been the same defender he was when he first got here?

Not even close. What are you watching?

He makes significantly more turnovers now than he did before. Never said he is a bad defenseman, but he's fallen just as significantly as this team has.

arsmaster*

This reeks of a person who has never played a team sport.

This will be the last I speak of that.

What would you call butt ending someone in the face and running around doing things clearly out of character.

Don't know what this has to do with me, but I've played plenty of sports my whole life, not sure why I need to answer to you.

This will be the last I speak of that. :laugh:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I'm not going to wade too deeply into either side here, but points are contextless and Grabner has been great this playoff for the Islanders, one of their best players.

Who is something like 9th in icetime among Islander forwards in the playoffs. 11th in even strength icetime.

He's been good but not that good. And what this team needs is goals rather than a player who's been good at the other side of the game.

Grabner is a great PK'er
Look at the ranking in the post-season & regular season for the PK for both teams. Granted, it's tough to look good with the likes of Crosby/Malkin/etc. on the opposition PP. Still, this "asset" isn't a pressing need (yes, it should be better but there are other more urgent needs like scoring goals).

Last edited:

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
What would you call butt ending someone in the face and running around doing things clearly out of character.

Don't know what this has to do with me, but I've played plenty of sports my whole life, not sure why I need to answer to you.

This will be the last I speak of that. :laugh:

Desperation. Probably too late, but that is another argument to be made.

Flash Walken

May 10, 2005
Vancouver
Who is something like 9th in icetime among Islander forwards in the playoffs. 11th in even strength icetime.

He's been good but not that good. And what this team needs is goals.
Definitely they need goals.

Canucks miss Centres.

Good centres help make defenders look great, which helps make goalies look great.

What I'm noticing is that Vancouver doesn't have the centre depth to compete with the Sharks, probably the biggest factor in the lack of offense.

It's been pretty shocking how badly Thornton/Couture/Pavelski have outplayed Kesler/Hankypanky.

Missing Malholtra.

arsmaster*

Desperation. Probably too late, but that is another argument to be made.

Yeah, you're probably right, and I'm pretty upset and emotional, but not only was this too late for this series, it was also too late PERIOD.

Make that play against Bolland 4 years ago and it might have actually galvanized the team, doing it last night, was like waving the white towel. :(

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
The only thing were missing with Malhotra is a guaranteed won faceoff when it's needed. Other than that what?

Manny in his prime was a true shutdown centre, one of the best in the league.

Ask any Leaf fan what Jay McClement does for their team, that's what Manny did for ours. One of the best "moneypuck" players.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I watched the AV post-game presser again and boy does he look defeated. That usual arrogant and smug attitude is gone. I don't know how this team is going to play Tuesday but if the coach's demeanor is any indication it won't be pretty.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I watched the AV post-game presser again and boy does he look defeated. That usual arrogant and smug attitude is gone. I don't know how this team is going to play Tuesday but if the coach's demeanor is any indication it won't be pretty.

Yea I have felt av has needed to go and this early exit is perhaps a necessary evil (although I would rather see us playing better), but its hard to cheer against him when that arrogant and full of excuses av is exchanged with a defeated av who maybe realizes he is done. Not just because he might be fired, but because he himself also realizes its time to move on and he will want out.

Of course a long summer to relax, and god forbid mg says i want you back, maybe the arrogant av would return, but i certainly hope we try a new coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->