Post-Game Talk: [GM 29] Canucks defeat Flames | 4-3 (SO) | Horvat, Garland, Dries, (Kuzmenko)

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Great games for Hoglander Martin and Garland
OEL Schenn Pettersson Horvat Lazar were solid enough
Hughes Bear was scary under pressure. Not sure i like that duo. Hughes is not having a good year.
Miller Kuzmenko Michayev looked like they went drinking last night were gassed and had no legs
4th line did 4th line things
Dries scored a nice goal to make amends for his terrible plays but he's tragic defensively and cant be trusted
Myers was awful.
Burroughs wasn't good either

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Seems bizarre watching the Flames without Johnny Hockey and Tkachuk..They dont seem to have the same swagger..They looked a bit bland.

Certainly nothing like the SC contenders a bunch of posters here, said they would be.
I do feel for Flames fans. I was surprised at how relatively well they seemed to take it (my Flames fan friends included) losing Gaudreau and Tkachuk at the same time. Gaudreau I can see but Tkachuk is a rare type of hockey player. As a fan I'd be down and out if a player like that not only was traded but willed a trade himself. That's crap luck.

Maybe my empathy comes from the fact I have a fear Pettersson will do that to us too. It's tough enough even getting players like this in the first place, but to have one who then shows himself out like that is painful.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Hoglander was a monster tonight. I hope this woke Bruce up a bit. If anything take out Studnicka for Boeser but that might’ve been Hogs best game

Reactions: Indiana and B-rock

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hoglander might have been the best player on the ice for either team.....Maybe Boudreau is on to a winning strategy.....let a player know that he's going to be a healthy scratch, and then reinstate him at the last minute.

If Hoglander plays like this you have to start talking about his ceiling again. Looks to me to be a lot quicker than he's looked in the past.

Kind of surprising result though.....once again the Canucks go up 2-0, then take a cheap penalty which they can't kill off. After the that the ice tilts and suddenly they're down 3-2. Looked to me like the Flames might have run out of gas in the last half of the game.

A brutal evening for that tandem of Burroughs and Myers......but Boudreau can mix and match blueliners all he wants, but it isn't going to make much difference.

Despite being third last in the league in goals against; and dead last on the PK, this team is still in the playoff mix...Shocking really.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Much to my surprise I thought the Canucks played a good "road" third period and were much tighter defensively than I expected. Pleasant surprise but they need to do that a lot more often before I even raise an eyebrow.

Reactions: Indiana

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Probably deserved the win on the play. However, team never does things the easy way. Always do enough wrong to keep the other team in the game.

Good

Garland - came to play. Was glued to the puck at times and despite giving up size fended off much bigger players to maintain possession. HIs line showed a lot of hustle but sometimes caught in transition. Good shot on his goal

Hoglander - provided good energy even if little finish. Nice pass of the Dreis goal.

Bear - came on as the game went on. Broke up a lot of plays off the rush and was good (maybe the best on the team) moving pucks up from the back.

Joshua - made good passes around the Calgary net and coming out of his zone. Is more and more establishing a physical presence and is showing more skill than anticipated.

Schenn - very solid around his net. Calgary is excellent at getting to the crease and player like Schenn was negating much of this. He is essential type of player in these types of games.

Kuzmenko - buried that shoot out shot with authority and had numerous good shifts with his line. Consistently shows he is strong on the puck and can make quick effective plays.

Bad

Myers, Myers , Myers - is having trouble enough doing his own job but constantly tries to do other people's jobs as well. Total contrast to Schenn. Instead of maintaining position in front of the net and keeping people away from the goalie he gets drawn away to one side and then watches the puck and not the man going to the net. Is losing control of situations and just playing frenetically. Holding the puck penalty was an example. Just playing dumb hockey and trying to do way too much. Irony is that he, in the end, is getting less accomplished.

Studnicka - plays like this he is useless. Over-skated the play all game and moved the puck poorly. Skating around accomplishing nothing. Just a body flying around disconnected from the play. Definitely not in sync with line mates or the rest of the team

Others

Hughes - shooting from the point on the PP is feeble. He is not a threat at all. Canucks might have put this away early but couldn't get much out of the PP and Hughes lack of shot was hurting. Also thought his stop and go hockey was getting the team out of any flow. Needs to stop dilly-dallying with the puck and get it up quicker like OEL did on the one goal. Had some good periods of play but takes unnecessary chances and over handles the puck.

Pettersson -if the Canucks are going anywhere, they need more than they have got out of Pettersson the last couple of games. Playing too much hockey standing still. Another person hurting flow by overhandling the puck and trying to make overly ambitious plays

Miller - try was there and fewer brain farts but still not the player we saw last year.

OEL - Had long spells of good play but then would seemingly tire and not get to the puck fast enough to keep himself out of trouble.

Burroughs -got abused by the Calgary forecheck and forced into errors. Not terrible and certainly better than Noskillman but was exposed at times by Calgary's size and speed. Let's face it - we do really have a six NHL
d-men.

Dries = good thing was his goal - bad thing is inability to get back on defense. It is that lack of speed to get back and hold position in his end that is his biggest liability. Knack around the net and poor defensive transition play were both shown tonight.

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
Hoglander might have been the best player on the ice for either team.....Maybe Boudreau is on to a winning strategy.....let a player know that he's going to be a healthy scratch, and then reinstate him at the last minute.

If Hoglander plays like this you have to start talking about his ceiling again. Looks to me to be a lot quicker than he's looked in the past.

Kind of surprising result though.....once again the Canucks go up 2-0, then take a cheap penalty which they can't kill off. After the that the ice tilts and suddenly they're down 3-2. Looked to me like the Flames might have run out of gas in the last half of the game.

A brutal evening for that tandem of Burroughs and Myers......but Boudreau can mix and match blueliners all he wants, but it isn't going to make much difference.

Despite being third last in the league in goals against; and dead last on the PK, this team is still in the playoff mix...Shocking really.
The West REEEEEALLY sucks.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
If we still want to chase the playoffs we need to trade for a center.

Unless Miller decides he actually cares he should not be put back there, and with him on the wing the 3C spot is a problem.

There must be a bad contract for bad contract swap out there, a winger from us for a center.

Reactions: Indiana

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
13-13-3

5 gm segments:
0-3-2
2-3-0
2-2-1
3-2-0
3-2-0
3-1-0

10 gm segments:
2-6-2
5-4-1
6-3-0

7-3-0 in last 10

-------
7 game series theory...

0-5-2
4-2-1
4-3-0
4-3-0
1-0-0

-------
Wins - Reg Losses

VGK +12, Sea +7, Edm +4
Dal +9, Wpg +9, Min +5

Col +5
LAK +3
Cgy +2
Van EVEN
Nas EVEN
StL -2

Trending....

Should be reg wins-reg losses (draws). We have 5 3x3 ot/so wins, those don't count.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
Myers for Henrique makes sense. Ducks would appreciate some physical presence on the blueline and can retain and flip him at the deadline for something decent.

Reactions: Tritsche

Nov 1, 2011
I do feel for Flames fans. I was surprised at how relatively well they seemed to take it (my Flames fan friends included) losing Gaudreau and Tkachuk at the same time. Gaudreau I can see but Tkachuk is a rare type of hockey player. As a fan I'd be down and out if a player like that not only was traded but willed a trade himself. That's crap luck.

Maybe my empathy comes from the fact I have a fear Pettersson will do that to us too. It's tough enough even getting players like this in the first place, but to have one who then shows himself out like that is painful.

In a funny twist of fate, you might almost be better off with the Virtanen buyout (after busting) than having Huberdeau's albatross contract (after Tkachuk forcing a trade).

Reactions: Jay26

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Great games for Hoglander Martin and Garland
OEL Schenn Pettersson Horvat Lazar were solid enough
Hughes Bear was scary under pressure. Not sure i like that duo. Hughes is not having a good year.
Miller Kuzmenko Michayev looked like they went drinking last night were gassed and had no legs
4th line did 4th line things
Dries scored a nice goal to make amends for his terrible plays but he's tragic defensively and cant be trusted
Myers was awful.
Burroughs wasn't good either
Burr is not willing to babysit Myers and Myers is not adjusting his ‘game’ for Burr.

Oil and water.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
This is true.

In a way, the Markstrom, Miller, Tanev, Taffoli thing makes me look at how rare the asset is.

Miller, if he could play centre would be super valuable however a player like Tanev is almost impossible to replace.

Guys like Taffoli are almost worthless as they are a dime a dozen while a guy like Markstrom is valuable but seemingly pretty replaceable.
Feel like you’re underrating Markstrom in his last couple years here. He was single handedly winning them games they had no right to be in.
Seems like he’s lost his mojo a little bit since then but he could have returned a solid haul. He was consistently playing at the top of his game and the rest of the league knew it too.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
How was Pettersson tonight? Cooling off I see.
1671094521656.png

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Hogs was a beast! Myers... was not!

Garlands best game in a while.

Bo train continues.

Lazar had soo many chances in the 3rd

I don't think a goalie has actually had to make a save on EP in the shootout since pre-covid.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Feel like you’re underrating Markstrom in his last couple years here. He was single handedly winning them games they had no right to be in.
Seems like he’s lost his mojo a little bit since then but he could have returned a solid haul. He was consistently playing at the top of his game and the rest of the league knew it too.
Marky was off the charts against Montreal a few nights ago. Marky has always played better 'warmed up': meaning the more shots, the warmer he gets. Some of his best Nuck starts were 48-52 shots per game.
There is a reason for this...
Flames' D does not offer this normally.... I get it. I was a terrible goalie late...I needed to be 'peppered' continuous to not 'cool off'... If I had only a few chances to move during a period, I froze. maybe he is the same, and might explain his out of crease nutbar movement.
Of course I know its not the same, but...I hated not getting 15 plus shots per period.

It's a cold-ass rink at the boring end.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad