Series Talk: Rangers vs. Carolina (Game 1, Sunday May 5th @ 4pm ET, ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Cuylle-Wennberg-Kakko combined for 1 goal and it was a gift. That's the production I expect from them. We have a whole line incapable of scoring.

The Hurricanes have Martin Necas on their 3rd line and Evgeny Kuznetsov on their 4th line. While our 4th line had their moments, the bottom six is a huge mismatch and Goodrow is not going to keep up close to a PPG pace.

Elsewhere, Panarin has had three poor series in a row in terms of production and Lafreniere has 2 goals in 31 playoff games. If they step it up, my perception changes, but we can't assume that.

We have an advantage on D and in goal but these forward corps match up brutally for us.
Do 3rd lines also play defense? How is our 3rd line there? Do they change momentum when we are getting in trouble 5v5? Cause I can point out how in 3/4 games they were statistically our best line. It's not all goals. It's regaining possession, shifting momentum, and drawing penalties.

But yeah. If you think the stanley cup is a who has the best offensive players competition, than sure. McDavid and Draisaitl are ready for cup win number #9.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Cuylle-Wennberg-Kakko combined for 1 goal and it was a gift. That's the production I expect from them. We have a whole line incapable of scoring.

The Hurricanes have Martin Necas on their 3rd line and Evgeny Kuznetsov on their 4th line. While our 4th line had their moments, the bottom six is a huge mismatch and Goodrow is not going to keep up close to a PPG pace.

Elsewhere, Panarin has had three poor series in a row in terms of production and Lafreniere has 2 goals in 31 playoff games. If they step it up, my perception changes, but we can't assume that.

We have an advantage on D and in goal but these forward corps match up brutally for us.

Honest question, and not just for MH. Would people prefer if Cuylle-Wennberg-Kakko scored 8 goals and had 8 goals scored against them, or if they did what actually happened, and scored 1 goal with 0 scored against.

Because I'll take the +1 goal differential every day of the week. Not only is it just objectively better, but having a shutdown 3rd line takes so much variance out of games. If us and Washington were scoring an extra 2 or 3 goals per game between us in that series, I would expect there would have been one game where they managed to win.

thesnake

Apr 25, 2007
New Vernon
Don't understand why everyone gets so worked up over Vegas odds. They set those odds to drive the action the way they want it to go... Its not Team X is better than Team Y, so they are favorites... they are just balancing their exposure.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I know. Just busting chops.

I don't disagree that the hurricanes on paper are better than us. But, would I be wrong if I said that same has been true each year we have played the Hurricanes and beat them?
Best goalie? Check. Best defenseman? Check. Best forward? Check. Best center (and C depth)? Check.

Reactions: Siddi and Kovalev27

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Do 3rd lines also play defense? How is our 3rd line there? Do they change momentum when we are getting in trouble 5v5? Cause I can point out how in 3/4 games they were statistically our best line. It's not all goals. It's regaining possession, shifting momentum, and drawing penalties.

But yeah. If you think the stanley cup is a who has the best offensive players competition, than sure. McDavid and Draisaitl are ready for cup win number #9.
You're talking about lines that are elite at offense or only good at offense.

Nobody is saying it's all goals.

I'm talking about a line that's going to score one goal a series.

I mean, yes, some of it is goals. The team with more goals wins. Whatever line Kakko is on is terrible at scoring goals and I think that might be an issue against tougher competition. It will certainly be an issue of some guys in the top six don't step it up.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Carolina's 3rd line has 2 goals and one of them is a ENG.

Necas and Teravainen get PP time too.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Honest question, and not just for MH. Would people prefer if Cuylle-Wennberg-Kakko scored 8 goals and had 8 goals scored against them, or if they did what actually happened, and scored 1 goal with 0 scored against.

Because I'll take the +1 goal differential every day of the week. Not only is it just objectively better, but having a shutdown 3rd line takes so much variance out of games. If us and Washington were scoring an extra 2 or 3 goals per game between us in that series, I would expect there would have been one game where they managed to win.
I would prefer if they were a good line and did neither of those things.

Having a line that will never score is a major problem against top competition that will already be limiting your chances.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Carolina's 3rd line has 2 goals and one of them is a ENG.

Necas and Teravainen get PP time too.
Who do you have more faith in going forward?

Kakko could play with Lemieux and Gretzky against an empty net and they wouldn't score.

Our bottom six just isn't that great against some of the competition we're about to face. It's ok to admit we have some holes.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019

Kakko could play with Lemieux and Gretzky against an empty net and they wouldn't score.

Our bottom six just isn't that great against some of the competition we're about to face. It's ok to admit we have some holes.
You want to spout nonsense, go for it. He had a great series. Created multiple chances. Gave up NONE even though he was often matched with the Caps top line. Not sure what you want.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Based off of what I’ve seen in the playoffs? Our line. I get you play who you play but our 3rd line generated chances vs Washington. Theirs is getting worked by the Islanders.

I agree with you on the 4th line. That’s a mismatch but one that evens out if/when they decide to give Chytil a run in this series.

My worry is with guys higher in the lineup. You know which guys I’m talking about.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
4th liner Evgeny Kuznetsov who can't play defense and scored a big 1.07 pts/60 with WSH this year and 0.70 pts/60 with CAR. Supposed to be scared of that because he's a big name?
Ok, he sucks.

Goodrow sucks.

4th liners suck.

He still has a lot of talent and plays on one of the most skilled 4th lines in the league.

Our forward corps isn't as good as theirs. I feel like I'm trying to argue that the sun is hot and you guys are like "nuh uh!!"

I hope our advantages elsewhere decide the series.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Ok, he sucks.

Goodrow sucks.

4th liners suck.

He still has a lot of talent and plays on one of the most skilled 4th lines in the league.

Our forward corps isn't as good as theirs. I feel like I'm trying to argue that the sun is hot and you guys are like "nuh uh!!"

I hope our advantages elsewhere decide the series.
We have people here that are way too cocky. I won't argue that. But you are equally wrong diminishing our team. So there's that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Based off of what I’ve seen in the playoffs? Our line. I get you play who you play but our 3rd line generated chances vs Washington. Theirs is getting worked by the Islanders.

I agree with you on the 4th line. That’s a mismatch but one that evens out if/when they decide to give Chytil a run in this series.

My worry is with guys higher in the lineup. You know which guys I’m talking about.
They always generate chances. I've been waiting for Whoever-Whoever-Kakko to actually score for like six years.
We have people here that are way too cocky. I won't argue that. But you are equally wrong diminishing our team. So there's that.
I'm not diminishing anything. I'm saying that this is a huge mismatch for our bottom six. It objectively is.

We were +1 this season at 5v5. We scored one more goal than our opponents.

Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere were the best line in the league and Kreider-Zibanejad are +8745893447589758917439 at 5v5 since like 2017. Where did the minuses come from?

Do the math.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
I would prefer if they were a good line and did neither of those things.

Having a line that will never score is a major problem against top competition that will already be limiting your chances.
They are our best line according to xGF%. I thought those advanced stats are so good.

Last edited:

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
They always generate chances. I've been waiting for Whoever-Whoever-Kakko to actually score for like six years.

I'm not diminishing anything. I'm saying that this is a huge mismatch for our bottom six. It objectively is.

We were +1 this season at 5v5. We scored one more goal than our opponents.

Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere were the best line in the league and Kreider-Zibanejad are +8745893447589758917439 at 5v5 since like 2017. Where did the minuses come from?

Do the math.
You clearly care. That's why you took the time to do the research.

Kakko was a +6 for the regular season. In the playoffs he was on the ice for almost 0 chances against. We will see in the next series if you are right, or not. But if his line can even out whoever they play, that's a huge advantage for us with our top 2 lines. That's their role. They have done it really well since the trading deadline against elite teams. We have a week. You should go back and find some old games to watch.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
This will be a close hard fought series. Both teams have strengths. It will likely turn on a few key plays and a few key players.

I would be surprised if either team is embarrassed in this series.

Long, close series. Good for hockey. Bad for my nerves.

It will be nice going into a series where losing a game wont be considered a disappointment, like against the Caps.. I prefer the 50/50s, and expect this one to be 2-2 after 4. From there, I like our guys when the chips are down. A sweep isnt only rare but it helped answer some questions I had about the team's makeup.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Look, I think a Carolina matchup is close and could go either way. I don't see anybody saying anything different.

I think they're a little tiny bit better than we are.

Teams have lost series when they're a lot better.

If you prefer to only read that the Rangers literally have the #1 roster in the NHL, then the next time @Gardner McKay asks us what we think of the matchup, I'll just lie to you.

Lesson learned.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Excited for some Embiid level flopping from Aho, Svechnikov and Noeson who is low key one of the bigger POS' in the division. I would mention Fast who is also a serial flopper (going back to his Rangers days) but I believe he is out.

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Embiid is both literally and figuratively the biggest clown in the world.

My favorite was when he said the Knicks got "good bounces" when they outrebounded the shit out of them. Hard work and hustle is so foreign to the Sixers that the only way they can explain is witchcraft.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Rangers programming...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad