Post-Game Talk: [GM 29] Canucks defeat Flames | 4-3 (SO) | Horvat, Garland, Dries, (Kuzmenko)

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
WHEN: December 14th, 7:00PM PST
WHERE: Scotiabank Saddledome, Calgary, AB
TV: Sportsnet Pacific
RADIO: Sportsnet 650

Canucks Line-Up:

Miller-Horvat-Lazar
Mikheyev-Pettersson-Kuzmenko
Garland-Dries-Boeser
Joshua-Åman-Studnicka

Hughes-Bear
OEL-Schenn
Burroughs-Myers

???

Flames Line-Up:

Huberdeau-Linholm-Toffoli
Dube-Kadri-Mangiapane
Ruzicka-Backlund-Coleman
Lewis-Zohorna-Ritchie

Hanifin-Andersson
Zadorov-Weegar
Mackey-Stone

Markstrom

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Bear getting scratched over...anyone else. Miller back to C. Joshua elevated to 2nd line role.

Then again, clearly just futzing around with Pettersson not there.

dez

Mar 3, 2012
Looks like Dermotts healthy again and ballsy move to scratch OEL :sarcasm:

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
stillman and myers should be the scratches. or burroughs and oel. sitting bear and dermott is stupid

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
People have been crying out to see Burroughs playing, even on the left side. I just didn't think it would be with OEL on the right. Baby steps.:laugh::sarcasm:

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
It's not anger it's apathy. I just don't care anymore.

Sigh......52 years on this rodeo circuit.

When is that 99 point JT Miller going to show up, if ever?

Welcome to my club! I joined at the conclusion of the 2011 playoffs. Around a time a cop car exploded.

i'm so mad because i was completely free of this team after the offseason where tanev, toffoli and markstrom were shown the door. i don't think i watched more than 15 minutes of canucks hockey after that up until benning was fired and i deluded myself into thinking things would get better. fool me once...

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I feel like Bruce's handling of the defensive core is the biggest problem on the team at the moment, personally. I don't even think the d-group looks bad if we run with something like:

Hughes - Schenn
OEL - Bear
Dermott - Burroughs

But it just doesn't happen. Not that it would be ideal either, but at least not that much of an eyesore, and enough for the scoring to carry them, IMO.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
boudreau definitely has not played his best available defensive line ups at all times this season but i think it's a mistake to think that the canucks defensive struggles are significantly impacted by that

getting stillman out of the lineup would help but the team will still be awful defensively as long as they continue to play the forward lineups they've played. the only combination that's legitimately above water 5v5 is kuzmenko, pettersson and mikheyev. every other forward line has been bad, lucky or both. better defensive pairings might mitigate some of this but stillman hasn't been on the ice enough to be the sole problem. neither has myers. improving the defensive play of the team through substituting (available) defenders probably isn't going to close the gap

the team either needs to change how they play, change the available defenders or change the available forwards. probably all three if they want to significantly improve

Reactions: Grantham

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I feel like Bruce's handling of the defensive core is the biggest problem on the team at the moment, personally. I don't even think the d-group looks bad if we run with something like:

Hughes - Schenn
OEL - Bear
Dermott - Burroughs

But it just doesn't happen. Not that it would be ideal either, but at least not that much of an eyesore, and enough for the scoring to carry them, IMO.
while i agree does Bruce even run the defense core?

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
i'm so mad because i was completely free of this team after the offseason where tanev, toffoli and markstrom were shown the door. i don't think i watched more than 15 minutes of canucks hockey after that up until benning was fired and i deluded myself into thinking things would get better. fool me once...
100%! I truly believed things could not ever get any worse, but as long as Aquilini owns this team the toxicity and incompetence will trickle down.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Hughes - Schenn
OEL - Bear
Dermott - Burroughs

Stillman isn’t that great..and neither are the other 3rd pairing options..Burroughs was dogshit against the Capitals (-3) and hasn’t been back in the lineup since..

Stillman /Myers are not getting torched anymore than the other pairings in the last couple of weeks.. (Stillman a +3 and 2 assists against the Habs..Myers a + 3 against the Sharks

Thinking that Dermott (who was sheltered last season) and Burroughs are the answer is asinine.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Stillman isn’t that great..and neither are the other 3rd pairing options..Burroughs was dogshit against the Capitals (-3) and hasn’t been back in the lineup since..

Stillman /Myers are not getting torched anymore than the other pairings in the last couple of weeks.. (Stillman a +3 and 2 assists against the Habs..Myers a + 3 against the Sharks

Thinking that Dermott (who was sheltered last season) and Burroughs are the answer is asinine.
Stillman and Myers ARE getting torched MUCH more. If you actually hone in and watch them defend, they play like chickens with their heads cut off. Absolutely unacceptable lack of hockey IQ and decision making. They fail to make the simplest plays and can't read the play at an NHL level. The stats from that one game were a complete mirage and don't mean anything and if you were fooled by that then I have nothing more to say. They fail the eye test again and again and are absolute terrible defenders who are hemmed every single shift.

Burroughs Dermott and Bear are better period. Stillman and Myers should be benched.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

Hughes - Schenn
OEL - Bear
Dermott - Burroughs

I think we are also leaning way too much on hughes. He has struggled, no doubt, IMO I think it is partially from just asking too much from him.

boudreau definitely has not played his best available defensive line ups at all times this season but i think it's a mistake to think that the canucks defensive struggles are significantly impacted by that

getting stillman out of the lineup would help but the team will still be awful defensively as long as they continue to play the forward lineups they've played. the only combination that's legitimately above water 5v5 is kuzmenko, pettersson and mikheyev. every other forward line has been bad, lucky or both. better defensive pairings might mitigate some of this but stillman hasn't been on the ice enough to be the sole problem. neither has myers. improving the defensive play of the team through substituting (available) defenders probably isn't going to close the gap

the team either needs to change how they play, change the available defenders or change the available forwards. probably all three if they want to significantly improve

Stillman has been pretty much good for a goal against that was his fault. Putting anyone else in would be a huge help alone. even going to a mistake every other game that leads to a goal is better.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC

Every defenseman can have bad games, but there's something to be said for general stability and structure that grounds the forward group's ability to function. The consistent erraticness of Stillman and Myers being the rule rather than the exception never allows that to build, in my opinion.

I think the combination of Bear, Dermott, and Burroughs bringing relative stability would at least be something to work with and modestly build off of rather than be a complete lost cause like what we're getting.

Kind of like how having a team of Stechers wouldn't be ideal, but it's better than having a team of Sbisas.
I think we are also leaning way too much on hughes. He has struggled, no doubt, IMO I think it is partially from just asking too much from him.
Yeah, but we're asking too much from him in large part because of the unreliability of who's playing behind him.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Hughes - Schenn
OEL - Bear
Dermott - Burroughs

That's a 2nd pairing and 2 3rd pairing. 2 4/5s, 3 3rd pairing and 1-dimensional tiny offensive dman.

You have spent too much time watching the Canucks. I'm calling it Vancouver syndrome, where you becoming too acclimated to rubbish that mediocrity it starts looking good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nucker101 and m9

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad