Post-Game Talk: [GM 29] Canucks defeat Flames | 4-3 (SO) | Horvat, Garland, Dries, (Kuzmenko)

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Had to miss this one. Funny that I made some posts saying I was fine with Hoglander being scratched and he gets in there and sounds like he was great. Nice to see/hear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vector

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Should be reg wins-reg losses (draws). We have 5 3x3 ot/so wins, those don't count.

All that matters in the point total s Winning anyway, and Not losing in regulation.

Points total = Gms played + (Wins-Reg Losses)
That's it.
ROW only matters for tiebreaking purposes.

Now if you are trying to infer that those wins aren't as convincing/significant as regulation wins.. well yeah.. true.. because the other team doesn't suffer a 'minus.'

Reactions: theguardianII

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Burr is not willing to babysit Myers and Myers is not adjusting his ‘game’ for Burr.

Oil and water.
Burroughs was playing exceptionally well to start off the year. Then had 1-2 dicey games and was promptly benched, and has seen a handful of games since. It's really hard to have any rhythm or confidence in your game when this happens.

I would have no issue if he was a true 6th or 7th guy on the team but Myers makes the whole point about Burroughs being subpar moot.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Even better then a single cup.

We are two times .500 in the last 3 games.

And a chance to threepeat in two games time.
.500 pts % is 23rd in the league
Maybe my empathy comes from the fact I have a fear Pettersson will do that to us too. It's tough enough even getting players like this in the first place, but to have one who then shows himself out like that is painful.
Pretty much spelled it out already
Hoglander might have been the best player on the ice for either team.....Maybe Boudreau is on to a winning strategy.....let a player know that he's going to be a healthy scratch, and then reinstate him at the last minute.

If Hoglander plays like this you have to start talking about his ceiling again. Looks to me to be a lot quicker than he's looked in the past.

Kind of surprising result though.....once again the Canucks go up 2-0, then take a cheap penalty which they can't kill off. After the that the ice tilts and suddenly they're down 3-2. Looked to me like the Flames might have run out of gas in the last half of the game.

A brutal evening for that tandem of Burroughs and Myers......but Boudreau can mix and match blueliners all he wants, but it isn't going to make much difference.

Despite being third last in the league in goals against; and dead last on the PK, this team is still in the playoff mix...Shocking really.
They do have a very easy schedule right now. Myers did not cost them the game either but it is the overall group of defencemen not just one. Dermott played all of 15 games in the last 18 months. TO let him go at a time they really needed an upgrade. I wonder if he will play again. Might be a little "hit shy" due to his head. I think Benning traded for concussed players so they could retire without expectations of playing very much.
Should be reg wins-reg losses (draws). We have 5 3x3 ot/so wins, those don't count.
The OTL's too
All that matters in the point total s Winning anyway, and Not losing in regulation.

Points total = Gms played + (Wins-Reg Losses)
That's it.
ROW only matters for tiebreaking purposes.

Now if you are trying to infer that those wins aren't as convincing/significant as regulation wins.. well yeah.. true.. because the other team doesn't suffer a 'minus.'
ROW does matter. It is the 5 on 5 game results. The loser point has skewed the way the standings look to fans. A marketing schtick.

Canucks have played more games than some of the other teams so points are off. This pts % stuff is another "look how close they are" marketing tool.

Canucks were 3 pts out of the 2nd WC spot one month ago, on November 15. They are still 3 pts out after the Calgary game.

Haven't closed the gap, if anything with other teams turning it up and having an easier schedule right now, they are losing ground.

They don't appear to have a chance at a top three in the division, they can't even be better than 3 other teams even with SJ and Anaheim in rebuilds and sucking as bad they are.

There are no 3 on 3 in the playoffs, there are no shoot outs in the playoffs.
When looking at the team it should be with the playoffs kept in mind.

Flames played like a first game after a road trip team, Markstrom has been a "late starter" meaning he used to get better as the season rolled on but I wonder about his goalie coach, the Montreal game he seemed to be over playing a lot of shots.

Martin played exceptionally good, I begin to wonder if it is the goalie or the goalie coach(s) that has been getting the Canucks competitive. Luongo, Markstrom, Demko now Martin.

Bo and Kuz sure are adding to their next contracts. Unaffordable unless the plan is to trade Pettersson. Even Hoglander is adding too.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Only 6 points separates a top 10 ranked team from a 23rd ranked team.

Any team can go on a 3-4 game heater and move up significantly in the rankings.
As long as all those other teams don't.
That was my point about the Canucks still being 3 pts back and they have been getting many points.
They also have played 2 more games than some they are chasing or are being chase by.
Last year on this date they were 4 points out of a playoff spot and then went on real heater (for whatever reasons) and still ended up 5 points out.
what other teams do count as well

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Only 6 points separates a top 10 ranked team from a 23rd ranked team.

Any team can go on a 3-4 game heater and move up significantly in the rankings.
It’s less about how many points they are out of a playoff spot and more about how many teams they need to jump over. Just like last year they need to jump a few teams when taking into account games played.
There are also a few teams just below them who are still in the mix.
If they just had to catch one team then the math is easier.

Reactions: mossey3535 and DL44

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
It’s less about how many points they are out of a playoff spot and more about how many teams they need to jump over. Just like last year they need to jump a few teams when taking into account games played.
There are also a few teams just below them who are still in the mix.
If they just had to catch one team then the math is easier.
yup.

last yr this time : 4 pts/4 teams back, but -7 back

Min +11, Col +10, StL +8
Ana +8, Cgy +8, VGK +6

Nas +7
Edm +5
Wpg +3
SJS +2
Dal +2
Van -2

That means they had win 7 more games than 4 other teams without OTL's being involved to get in.
The crazy part was they almost did.
--------
This year : 3 pts/2 teams back, -3 back

VGK +12, Sea +7, Edm +4
Dal +9, Wpg +9, Min +5

Col +5
LAK +3
Cgy +2
Van EVEN

Last edited:

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Nobody can play with Myers for very long....they've tried Stillman, Burroughs, OEL and even Hughes.....and almost immediately it becomes the Canucks worst d-pairing. That contract can't end soon enough.
If they were truly serious about winning, they'd have tried to trade him, and if that wasn't feasible, they should have waived him. And if that weren't a viable option for them, the coach should have either benched him and kept him in the pressbox, or at the VERY least tried to mitigate the damage he does most nights...i.e. keep him off the damned PK, cut down his minutes, play him with a safety valve partner. He's the bane of my existence now that Benning is gone.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
how was that?
"Dermott made it into 17 games for the Canucks post-Deadline, and the results were probably what one might have expected from a Maple Leafs’ castaway: a defender capable of giving more, but with plenty of holes in his game requiring some serious sheltering."

Also..he was sheltered before he was traded.

"Interestingly enough, Dermott has taken steps forward offensive this year, but certainly with a sizeable decline when it comes to defense. He’s primarily playing in a sheltered third pairing role, so not having standout defensive numbers should be a red flag to some degree, but those numbers also reflect the biggest challenge to Dermott’s success, and it’s the fact that he is the Leafs utility defenseman."

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
"Dermott made it into 17 games for the Canucks post-Deadline, and the results were probably what one might have expected from a Maple Leafs’ castaway: a defender capable of giving more, but with plenty of holes in his game requiring some serious sheltering."

Also..he was sheltered before he was traded.

"Interestingly enough, Dermott has taken steps forward offensive this year, but certainly with a sizeable decline when it comes to defense. He’s primarily playing in a sheltered third pairing role, so not having standout defensive numbers should be a red flag to some degree, but those numbers also reflect the biggest challenge to Dermott’s success, and it’s the fact that he is the Leafs utility defenseman."

Dermott was sheltered in terms of his quality of competition, but he was also “sheltered” away from his most talented teammates much of the time. Taken in that context, his even-strength effectiveness is even more impressive.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Marky was off the charts against Montreal a few nights ago. Marky has always played better 'warmed up': meaning the more shots, the warmer he gets. Some of his best Nuck starts were 48-52 shots per game.
There is a reason for this...
Flames' D does not offer this normally.... I get it. I was a terrible goalie late...I needed to be 'peppered' continuous to not 'cool off'... If I had only a few chances to move during a period, I froze. maybe he is the same, and might explain his out of crease nutbar movement.
Of course I know its not the same, but...I hated not getting 15 plus shots per period.

It's a cold-ass rink at the boring end.
I could always tell Marky was injured when he was here because he would try some nutjob move to play the puck or make a high risk save and then they'd announce he was injured a day or two later and put him on the IR.

I think this year he's just having a bad year. But since he's a veteran I've noticed he's gotten better quite rapidly in the last 3-4. Unfortunately for the Flames, the media here in Calgary thinks Vladar has been "very steady" but he gets tons of run support and is still a .905 overall....

Like if I had seen any of Marky's performances in the last couple from Demko, I would have pronounced that he had already turned the corner.

Also, Marky's puck tracking here in Vancouver was so damn consistent, it was unbelievable to be honest. To me his first year in Calgary especially had a lot of adjustment period but more importantly it is so so difficult to keep that streak of concentration going. And he had already wasted 3-4 years of that on Canucks teams destined to fail. So basically 1st year in Calgary - adjustment, up and down. Last year - near Vezina quality but still up and down (he had tons of SO's but also some very poor games). This year - poor start, but trending back up. As he ages I think this is what we're going to see from him. Decent baseline still but more erratic with streaks in both directions. He had his prime years with us already.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I could always tell Marky was injured when he was here because he would try some nutjob move to play the puck or make a high risk save and then they'd announce he was injured a day or two later and put him on the IR.

I think this year he's just having a bad year. But since he's a veteran I've noticed he's gotten better quite rapidly in the last 3-4. Unfortunately for the Flames, the media here in Calgary thinks Vladar has been "very steady" but he gets tons of run support and is still a .905 overall....

Like if I had seen any of Marky's performances in the last couple from Demko, I would have pronounced that he had already turned the corner.

Also, Marky's puck tracking here in Vancouver was so damn consistent, it was unbelievable to be honest. To me his first year in Calgary especially had a lot of adjustment period but more importantly it is so so difficult to keep that streak of concentration going. And he had already wasted 3-4 years of that on Canucks teams destined to fail. So basically 1st year in Calgary - adjustment, up and down. Last year - near Vezina quality but still up and down (he had tons of SO's but also some very poor games). This year - poor start, but trending back up. As he ages I think this is what we're going to see from him. Decent baseline still but more erratic with streaks in both directions. He had his prime years with us already.

Cool insight... Everyone once in awhile... You read something to look at something different and expand your perspective.

Whenever I see goal go under a arm... I'm like.. that's the sign a goalie's off the level needed..

Reactions: B-rock

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Dermott was sheltered in terms of his quality of competition, but he was also “sheltered” away from his most talented teammates much of the time. Taken in that context, his even-strength effectiveness is even more impressive.
Seems to me like a player that the coaching staff (from the Leafs and Canucks) are never completely sold on.

I remember him being a healthy scratch for the Leafs quite a bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad