Post-Game Talk: [GM 29] Canucks defeat Flames | 4-3 (SO) | Horvat, Garland, Dries, (Kuzmenko)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Brendan Gauce? Heh.. Fails all the eye tests.. but has *spreadsheets with mental gymnastics on his side..
I'm not a spreadsheet guy at all, and they both passed the eye test and looked promising to me in a way that seemed to line up with the spreadsheet talk, personally. They just weren't flashy. It remains to be seen how Dermott would do in less sheltered minutes, but he hasn't shown any red flags in those sheltered minutes that suggest that he wouldn't be able to handle it or shouldn't be tested in that way, IMO.

Reactions: mossey3535

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I'm not a spreadsheet guy at all, and they both passed the eye test and looked promising to me in a way that seemed to line up with the spreadsheet talk, personally. They just weren't flashy. It remains to be seen how Dermott would do in less sheltered minutes, but he hasn't shown any red flags in those sheltered minutes that suggest that he wouldn't be able to handle it or shouldn't be tested in that way, IMO.
It does remain to be seen how Dermott does in less sheltered minutes..Putting guys in elevated roles above their scope isn't the wisest choice....

Myers is like the toilet bowl lid..up and down...The difference is, is that Myers has demonstrated that he can handle a top 4 role, with success..even though he's struggling this season.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It does remain to be seen how Dermott does in less sheltered minutes..Putting guys in elevated roles above their scope isn't the wisest choice....

Myers is like the toilet bowl lid..up and down...The difference is, is that Myers has demonstrated that he can handle a top 4 role, with success..even though he's struggling this season.
Unless a player is demonstrating that their limitations are at capacity in their sheltered role (which Dermott hasn't remotely shown nor have we really seen any red flags to be concerned about or show doubt over yet), it doesn't make sense to me to never experiment with putting guys in elevated roles to see how they handle it. Otherwise, you're just stuck in a never-ending cycle where players are just sheltered forever because they don't have experience and will never get it.

If a player like Myers dramatically struggles in that role and shows those red flags in spades, the fact that they've demonstrated handling the role in the past is irrelevant-- at some point, they should be demoted, at least until all other question-marks prove equally unfruitful.

There's no certainty that Dermott will fare any better, but I think that is the most logical and deserved next step of progression for both of them. (admittedly, maybe not right away, because Dermott hasn't played-- the caveat of course is if Dermott is still as good as he seemed to be last season)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad