Post-Game Talk: [GM 2] Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | 2-3 (Burroughs, Garland)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Migraines are also a symptom of neck issues like we've seen with a bunch of NHL players. We haven't heard a ton about Poolman, but I think this is definitely a possibility with how they've worded and handled his issue.

Not a great situation either way, obviously.

It’s possible but we know he had at least one concussion last year. I think they carefully word PCS symptoms so specifically, when they can, to kind of skirt around concussion protocol.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Migraines are also a symptom of neck issues like we've seen with a bunch of NHL players. We haven't heard a ton about Poolman, but I think this is definitely a possibility with how they've worded and handled his issue.

Not a great situation either way, obviously.

It seems fairly rare to have significant "neck issues" without some accompanying concussion features. Those "neck injury" type issues often seem to some of the worst when it comes to concussion symptoms. That "whip" action of the brain that results from serious neck/whiplash/etc type injuries.

I'm not sure i'd even try to make a real distinction there. For all intents and purposes, it's clearly all some sort of neurological trauma.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
Because they didn’t play well for a period of time and since then, they’ve never gone back to it.

I’ll lose my mind if I see Mikheyev on Pettersson’s line rather than Miller’s.

Or Podz on Miller’s.
Personally, I would re-try Horvat-Boeser and see if they re-ignite some old chemistry.

I would also try Podkolzin with Pettersson and Kuzmenko.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
I think I'm starting to see what Alvin and Rutherford were talking about:

Perhaps the biggest issue with this team is a lack of leadership. We can all point to our lack of right side depth on defense all we want but they've been the least of our problems.

Blowing 2 and 3 goal leads + special teams letting the team down when it matters most = mental fragility and leadership issues.........and as much as I hate to do this since I love the guy, Horvat is the guy that should get the most criticism here. Yes, everyone needs to step up in the accountability department (although I'd argue that guys like Schenn and a few others are doing just fine in this area), but there's just something missing right now.

Blowing leads and giving up shorthanded goals is likely a sign of a culture problem, and it needs to be addressed.

Despite Horvat being the younger asset, maybe you make a pitch to St. Louis and see if they'd be interested in a Horvat/O'Reilly swap in which both teams engage in a sign and trade. I don't know........

All I can say is this sucks and something that I did not expect. The Canucks were solid in their first 20 in Edmonton, and have had no fight or pushback ever since. Truly disappointing.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It seems fairly rare to have significant "neck issues" without some accompanying concussion features. Those "neck injury" type issues often seem to some of the worst when it comes to concussion symptoms. That "whip" action of the brain that results from serious neck/whiplash/etc type injuries.

I'm not sure i'd even try to make a real distinction there. For all intents and purposes, it's clearly all some sort of neurological trauma.

Not really going to get into the weeds on this one except to say we don't really have much information about Poolman so we'll just have to see what comes out, if anything.

Reactions: geebaan

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021

Perhaps the biggest issue with this team is a lack of leadership. We can all point to our lack of right side depth on defense all we want but they've been the least of our problems.

Blowing 2 and 3 goal leads + special teams letting the team down when it matters most = mental fragility and leadership issues.........and as much as I hate to do this since I love the guy, Horvat is the guy that should get the most criticism here. Yes, everyone needs to step up in the accountability department (although I'd argue that guys like Schenn and a few others are doing just fine in this area), but there's just something missing right now.

Blowing leads and giving up shorthanded goals is likely a sign of a culture problem, and it needs to be addressed.

Despite Horvat being the younger asset, maybe you make a pitch to St. Louis and see if they'd be interested in a Horvat/O'Reilly swap in which both teams engage in a sign and trade. I don't know........

All I can say is this sucks and something that I did not expect. The Canucks were solid in their first 20 in Edmonton, and have had no fight or pushback ever since. Truly disappointing.
This group isn’t it. This isn’t EA Sports.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If I was coaching, Podkolzin-Pettersson-Kuzmenko would be playing 22 minutes/game right now. Ride the guys that are going.

I’d also have Garland with Miller.

Yep. Let the horses that are going lead. Podkolzin is clearly going, but he's not really getting the minutes. He's the perfect complement to the chemistry Pete and Kuz have cooking. Just lean into the obvious sometimes.

Miller also probably needs someone like Garland on his wing to remind him to move his f***ing feet sometimes. They've shown a sort of natural chemistry previously.

Whether that leaves Horvat playing with Boeser/Hoglander/Pearson...whatever. He's shown chemistry with all of them at various points previously, that's fine. And at some point, presumably Mikheyev is going to make his debut and seems like a natural fit with Horvat.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

The lack of fight and/or pushback is too often seen in Vancouver the last several seasons and I'll state the obvious here, the Canucks need consistent efforts and more "leadership" when the chips are down, too often they rely on Demko (and Markstrom before him).

Reactions: Ruthervin

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
If I was coaching, Podkolzin-Pettersson-Kuzmenko would be playing 22 minutes/game right now. Ride the guys that are going.

I'm curious as to why Boudreau hasn't placed Podkolzin with Pettersson and Kuzmenko yet? Stylistically, I think it would be a great fit and I could definitely see Podz elevating his game in this role.

Garland with Miller could be interesting and something I'd be willing to try. I'm also thinking back to the St. Louis series back in the bubble, and I seem to recall the Canucks putting Horvat and Miller together in one game (to match St. Louis' physical play), and seem to recall this line doing fairly well. Might not hurt to go back to that. Try Miller-Horvat-Garland. Only problem with this is who steps up as the 3rd line center? Does Lazar have enough offensive prowess to get Boeser and Hoglander going? Probably not. Maybe you go....

Podkolzin-Pettersson-Kuzmenko
Garland-Miller-Hoglander
Pearson-Horvat-Boeser (Horvat and Boeser were both at their best when they played with one another?)

Who knows......

All I can say is that I wasn't expecting this at all. I also appear to be wrong about the Flames. Those guys look bloody dangerous!

This group isn’t it. This isn’t EA Sports.
Speaking of which, I'm considering buying NHL 2023 tomorrow. Be a GM mode + draft Nurse's sister + beat up Zdeno Chara with Nurse's sister.

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
The lack of fight and/or pushback is too often seen in Vancouver the last several seasons and I'll state the obvious here, the Canucks need consistent efforts and more "leadership" when the chips are down, too often they rely on Demko (and Markstrom before him).
These guys just completely turtle when they have leads. They should have learned this lesson by now. When you have a lead, you keep playing hard. It's like in MMA - you knock a guy down, you go in for the ground and pound. You don't sit there and start scratching your inner groin while waiting for the opponent to get up. I honestly don't know what's going through the heads of this Canucks team.

Reactions: wetcoast

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I'm curious as to why Boudreau hasn't placed Podkolzin with Pettersson and Kuzmenko yet? Stylistically, I think it would be a great fit and I could definitely see Podz elevating his game in this role.

Garland with Miller could be interesting and something I'd be willing to try. I'm also thinking back to the St. Louis series back in the bubble, and I seem to recall the Canucks putting Horvat and Miller together in one game (to match St. Louis' physical play), and seem to recall this line doing fairly well. Might not hurt to go back to that. Try Miller-Horvat-Garland. Only problem with this is who steps up as the 3rd line center? Does Lazar have enough offensive prowess to get Boeser and Hoglander going? Probably not. Maybe you go....

Podkolzin-Pettersson-Kuzmenko
Garland-Miller-Hoglander
Pearson-Horvat-Boeser (Horvat and Boeser were both at their best when they played with one another?)

Who knows......

All I can say is that I wasn't expecting this at all. I also appear to be wrong about the Flames. Those guys look bloody dangerous!

Speaking of which, I'm considering buying NHL 2023 tomorrow. Be a GM mode + draft Nurse's sister + beat up Zdeno Chara with Nurse's sister.
I stopped playing when they took away the online franchise mode. I loved that. Played it like 2004-2015, maybe a three year gap in there or so.

Reactions: Ruthervin

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC

Perhaps the biggest issue with this team is a lack of leadership.

If this was the case why did they give a massive extension to Exhibit A of the leadership issues and are planning to give another to Exhibit B?

Did they magically think these guys were going to become incredible leaders lol?

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I'm with you. I heard all these media pundits saying how good this is to bond and bring the team together. Like WTF No its not. You literally have every team within 2-5 pts of first place and amped up at home looking to get off to good starts

Even Jannik Hansen talked about it last year saying that only that 2011 and 2012 teams would have welcomed that as they knew they could weather it and knew each other well enough to get off to a decent start and it would pay off later. He specifically mentioned teams looking to gel and not being true contenders that a road trip to start with little practise time was a bad situation.

I'm so tired of the schedule excuse lol Canucks fans hang onto this crap like a safety teddy bear they can squeeze as they try to fall asleep at night.

There is absolutely nothing about these two losses that can be attributed to bad scheduling. The team simply either hasn't executed or worked hard enough for a full 60.

Do we ever look all too different during a long road-trip vs. a long homestand? It's always the same issues: lack of attention to detail and lack of consistent work ethic.

Last edited:

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
As for the lines, 2 games is not necessarily a large enough sample size but I was never exactly in love with the way they were constructed.

I didn't mind the Pearson - Miller - Boeser unit because they did have some success last season but there seems to be nothing there so far.

Still think they should do Pearson - Bo - Mikheyev (assuming he's ready next game) and use it as a checking line. Stack the top-6 with offensive guys. When some of the usual suspects are in their "useless slug" mode, probably best to put them together so they don't drag down other lines and just tell them to play hard/heavy and don't get scored on.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Yeah, unfortunately Bruce hasn't been the type of coach to ride non-established guys. It's a limitation that's led to a shortish shelf life as a coach. Anaheim and Minnesota fans would bitch about this non-stop. He's good as a short-term option but long-term....yeah.

Last edited:

Ruthervin

Jul 30, 2022
Seattle
If this was the case why did they give a massive extension to Exhibit A of the leadership issues and are planning to give another to Exhibit B?

Did they magically think these guys were going to become incredible leaders lol?
Perhaps they feel that Miller meets the leadership requirements (hence, the signing), while they see some issues with Bo? (hence, he hasn't signed yet). Who knows. Your guess is as good as mine.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Migraines are a symptom of post concussion syndrome. There’s a wide variety of symptoms (migraines, dizziness, forgetfulness, insomnia, light sensitivity, vertigo, etc.). Prolonged symptoms are a sign that the brain is susceptible to concussion recurrence. It’s even possible for these to trigger without a new concussion. So technically Poolman could have been experiencing just migraines and since that’s the only symptom that’s what they call it.
I know. I'm just wondering whether it was ever directly stated that he had a concussion.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I know. I'm just wondering whether it was ever directly stated that he had a concussion.

Not that I can recall or that I can see. They specifically said actually that when he left the lineup originally last year for 26 games that it wasn't caused by physical contact. When he came back, there was minor contact but I don't believe it was stated as a concussion.

Poolman actually discusses it a bit here, basically saying they don't really know what it is. Could be related to concussions, neck, or just a hereditary thing.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Yes, last season he officially was out twice with a concussion. It is unclear if it was one concussion and PCS or two concussions.

Officially it was listed as “Head” but nearly ever head injury is concussion unless directly stated otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad