Post-Game Talk: [GM 2] Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | 2-3 (Burroughs, Garland)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Never watched the game - I’m assuming it went bad.

Poolman left the game early again? What happened?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Never watched the game - I’m assuming it went bad.

Poolman left the game early again? What happened?

No one really knows. He just didn’t play after the 1st. There’s some loose reporting of him being in the concussion protocol and/or limping out of the dressing room.

Reactions: Tact

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
It appears that our no excuse to not grab that sweet juicy participation trophy season is off to a stupendous start.

Let's see how long it will take before we get a new tank thread.

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
Poolman likely played his last game of his career.

Also it was disheartening seeing Jason King leading the PP strategy (I know he is the PP coach), last year when BB came in, he was the one leading the discussion for the PP.

Also miss Brad Shaw more than ever

gringo

Jul 13, 2022
When your blue line sucks, your special teams suck and you’re soft in the top 6/4 it’s not a surprise that the team can’t hold a lead.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Watched most of the game, and my big takeaway is that this team looks vulnerable and Miller has had a shocking start to the season. Horvat has missed on some shots, but Miller is sabotaging this team with dumb play after dumb play. That line is not working in any way.

Still man and Borroughs look relatively decent tho…

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Awful performance, especially from top players. Yuck.

- Miller line was horrific and that might have been Miller’s worst game as a Canuck. Putrid. Turnover after turnover, zero effort level. Pearson looks slow. Boeser looks useless.

- Horvat wasn’t as bad as Miller but was still very poor. Garland and Podkolzin are playing well and he’s an anchor at ES right now.

- Pettersson was decent and while not great that was easily our best line. Kuzmenko solid, ridiculous he was taken off the PP.

- Hoglander was the victim of a bad call and then played the best 40 minutes we’ve seen from him in nearly a year. Encouraging.

- 4th line much better, generated possession and a couple good chances. All 3 guys worked hard.

- Burroughs is the best story of the season so far. Looks like a top-4 defender. Play him more. Has had a massive breakthrough in terms of what he’s doing offensively and with the puck. Skating well.

- Stillman mostly good again, did notice one bad read in the 1st but overall looks a useful enough 6-7 type.

- Hughes poor again. Trying to shoot more but he’s not a shooter and it’s a low-percentage play. Defensively struggling. Another guy whose effort level not up to par.

- Schenn is an ex-Flyer who took a lot of heat there and you could tell he was motivated and extra physical tonight, but it also led to a bad penalty.

- Poolman’s career likely over. Feel for him but honestly that’s a break for the team.

- Demko was very good, especially in the 1st period.

- PP just ghastly. Part of it is laziness from top players. Part of it is low percentage plays. Part of it probably a lack of confidence. But it’s been a total disaster to start the year and they need to figure it out ASAP.
Could not have said it better. Agree with all of it.

Hughes is a mess Him and Miller need to pull it together rapidly. I kind of expect this from Bo (slow starter) and Brock was gonna have cement legs after jumping back in against the Oilers without any games but to have that many players playing bad at the top of our payroll is crushing.

I get the feeling that Horvat is not training properly. He's packed with muscle so his focus should be on quickness balance and flexibility. The fact that he needs 15-20 games to get rolling is indicative of bad prep.

Hughes I don't have any idea of what's going on (i get he was sick and then got his nose smashed) but he's a turnover machine with a muffin shot. Fully expect him to get better but wow what a horrendous 2 games.

The Petey one timer is so f***in useless. It's been three years and Pettersson still hasn't been able to adapt. Not everything is about power if you watch some of the best in the game Drai/Pasta they focus more on accuracy than they do on putting their head down and hammering the puck.
Yes ok?

Reactions: mossey3535 and MS

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Were his recent injuries concussions? The team was always vague about it and called them migraines when they said anything at all.

Migraines are a symptom of post concussion syndrome. There’s a wide variety of symptoms (migraines, dizziness, forgetfulness, insomnia, light sensitivity, vertigo, etc.). Prolonged symptoms are a sign that the brain is susceptible to concussion recurrence. It’s even possible for these to trigger without a new concussion. So technically Poolman could have been experiencing just migraines and since that’s the only symptom that’s what they call it.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Both loses are inexcusable, team should be 2-0. Boudreau better be fuming

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Here's a random question:

Do we think Brock would get claimed on waivers if he was put on them tonight?

Not that it would happen (unfortunately), but do you think there would be a team who would value the liability that he is making as much money as he is?

He’d clear waivers. Negative value asset at this point.

The Petey one timer is so f***in useless. It's been three years and Pettersson still hasn't been able to adapt. Not everything is about power if you watch some of the best in the game Drai/Pasta they focus more on accuracy than they do on putting their head down and hammering the puck.

It’s just a terrible low percentage play. And selfish. It’s a guy standing still thinking he’s Ovechkin instead of moving around and trying to create high-percentage chances.

_________

One thing I’ll add is that Boudreau deserves criticism today as well. It’s almost a perfect inverse correlation between the guys who were going tonight and icetime. Garland, Podkolzin, Kuzmenko, Hoglander at the bottom aside from 4th liners. Pettersson playing the least of the Cs.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The problem with thinking of Horvat like this, is that he is not and never has been remotely like Jordan Staal as an actual player.

Jordan Staal has always been a really solid, defence-first "checking center" who happens to offer some offense when pressed into that role. But he's constantly frustrated fans because he's not really naturally inclined toward the offensive side of the game. He really is and has been like a #3C+++, often pressed into playing a #2C role as the "best option" and at least he's reliable so you can give him some flakey but creative wingers and have it work out.

Horvat has never really lived up to his reputation as a "checking center". He's been saddled with a lot of defensive minutes and roles over the years, but outside of winning faceoffs, he's never really excelled in it. He's improved and can mostly tread water in that regard, but he's at his core...much more of an offensive run'n'gun sort of player. Where he's got a lot more natural offensive talent than Staal.

But i don't think you can really look at Horvat as a "#3C". He's a Top-6 guy through and through, and the defensive side of things is only going to deteriorate as he ages and slows down. The whole "Horvat as a 3C" thing is an artificially imposed condition, as a roster deployment choice of this current regime. Not a reflection of what he actually is as a player, or where he's likely to succeed.
Good response where I was going with it is that as he ages he will have to adapt to more of a 3C defensive role as he's just not skilled and fast anough to be pushing the pace of play.
It's dangerous for this team to envision him as a top6 through and through at 30-35. He won't be

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I looked at the schedule the lovely nhl gave us to start the season and thought oh oh
I'm with you. I heard all these media pundits saying how good this is to bond and bring the team together. Like WTF No its not. You literally have every team within 2-5 pts of first place and amped up at home looking to get off to good starts

Even Jannik Hansen talked about it last year saying that only that 2011 and 2012 teams would have welcomed that as they knew they could weather it and knew each other well enough to get off to a decent start and it would pay off later. He specifically mentioned teams looking to gel and not being true contenders that a road trip to start with little practise time was a bad situation.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
He’d clear waivers. Negative value asset at this point.

It’s just a terrible low percentage play. And selfish. It’s a guy standing still thinking he’s Ovechkin instead of moving around and trying to create high-percentage chances.

_________

One thing I’ll add is that Boudreau deserves criticism today as well. It’s almost a perfect inverse correlation between the guys who were going tonight and icetime. Garland, Podkolzin, Kuzmenko, Hoglander at the bottom aside from 4th liners. Pettersson playing the least of the Cs.

Pretty much a continuation of last season deployment so we shouldn't be surprised. He will ride his guys whether they're going or not.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Came out strong early, buoyed by two bad goals courtesy of Carter Hart, then fell apart. Obviously it's only game 2, but it's a big warning sign if you're letting a trash team like Philly come back and beat you from multiple goals down.

Thoughts:

--Miller: probably the worst game I've ever seen him play. Directly responsible for 2 goals against. Lazy play, sloppy passing, offense nowhere in sight.

--get Hoglander off Pettersson's line ASAP.

--Bo's asleep. Boeser's on the bunk beside him.

--Strong start from Garland, but faded a bit as the game went on.

--defense is ass. Granted there's injuries, but c'mon. Let's be reality here. Burroughs is a 27 year-old journeyman, Stillman is clearly nothing special, Poolman's taking over Salo's mantle of not being here, OEL was a step behind all day, and Hughes is on an island. Schenn was Schenn. We know what he brings.

--did the bottom 6 ever leave the ice? Okay sure, the top 6 was playing with all the coordination of newborn fawns, but they're the guys you need to get going. Line juggling should start like now. Preferably yesterday.

--Kuzmenko's got good energy, liked him so far, but he needs to start creating things on his own instead of trying to cherry pick. You can see the other guys going for him and trying to set him up, and it's getting annoying.

--team toughness sorely lacking.

Really not a fan of year 7 of the Benning blueprint part 2. The false dichotomy debate around here of nuking the entire team and tanking versus going all-in with what we've got is seriously pissing me off. Changes clearly need to be made before the Canucks are going to be any kind of serious contender, and the longer it takes the powers that be to admit that, the longer we'll be watching shit games like this. I mean, since 2014 the Canucks have made the playoffs exactly twice: year 1 of Benning when he could still coast off the work of a competent management team, and the Covid cup year, where the shutdown rescued them from their post-ASG plummet down the standings, yet they're still just tinkering around the edges as though this is a team that consistently makes deep playoff runs and just needs some extra help to go over the top. The denial is reaching Russian military high command levels now, and we're watching the results.

Ugh.

Next, I guess.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Migraines are a symptom of post concussion syndrome. There’s a wide variety of symptoms (migraines, dizziness, forgetfulness, insomnia, light sensitivity, vertigo, etc.). Prolonged symptoms are a sign that the brain is susceptible to concussion recurrence. It’s even possible for these to trigger without a new concussion. So technically Poolman could have been experiencing just migraines and since that’s the only symptom that’s what they call it.

Migraines are also a symptom of neck issues like we've seen with a bunch of NHL players. We haven't heard a ton about Poolman, but I think this is definitely a possibility with how they've worded and handled his issue.

Not a great situation either way, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad