Post-Game Talk: [GM 2] Vancouver Canucks @ Philadelphia Flyers | 2-3 (Burroughs, Garland)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

WHEN: October 15th, 1:00PM PST
WHERE: Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia, PA
TV: Sportsnet Pacific
RADIO: Sportsnet 650

Vancouver Canucks’ Starting Lineup:

Pearson - Miller - Boeser
Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Hoglander
Garland - Horvat - Podkolzin
Joshua - Aman - Lazar

Hughes - Schenn
Ekman-Larsson - Poolman
Stillman - Burroughs

Demko

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I'd scratch Joshua and go 11F/7D with Rathbone.

Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Podkolzin
Garland-Miller-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander
Aman-Lazar

Hughes-Schenn
OEL-Poolman
Rathbone-Burroughs
Stillman

...with Stillman swapping in for Rathbone on D-zone draws/tough matchups, and sometimes playing with Aman/Lazar the way Rome used to do.

Reactions: Grantham

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'd scratch Joshua and go 11F/7D with Rathbone.

Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Podkolzin
Garland-Miller-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Hoglander
Aman-Lazar

Hughes-Schenn
OEL-Poolman
Rathbone-Burroughs
Stillman

...with Stillman swapping in for Rathbone on D-zone draws/tough matchups, and sometimes playing with Aman/Lazar the way Rome used to do.

Why?

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Apparently the Flyers strategy is to goon it up. I’d expect to see Stillman and Joshua again with a mandate that they need to answer anything the Flyers do.

• Haha
Reactions: theguardianII

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Not sure why Dakota Joshua got hyped up. He looked rather unspectacular as a 4th liner in the games I've watched.
I thought he looked good in that 4th line role in a couple early preseason games but has been a little invisible since. His defensive game seems decent which is the baseline required (that 4th line hasn’t given up too many big chances and didn’t let Mcdavid do much), but he doesn’t seem to be totally comfortable throwing his weight around yet or does much in the offensive zone.

I’m willing to give him a little bit of time to find his spot, because being physical is the most “vibes” part of hockey. I’m hoping for more tho

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Not sure why Dakota Joshua got hyped up. He looked rather unspectacular as a 4th liner in the games I've watched.

He's been weird.

He had one game against Seattle where he threw about 4 massive hits, knocked one of their defenders out of the game with a clean hit, and then won the resulting fight. It was probably the overall most physical game I've seen from a Canuck 4th liner in about 5 years.

And in the rest of the games, zilch.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
He's been weird.

He had one game against Seattle where he threw about 4 massive hits, knocked one of their defenders out of the game with a clean hit, and then won the resulting fight. It was probably the overall most physical game I've seen from a Canuck 4th liner in about 5 years.

And in the rest of the games, zilch.

I got lost watching the highlight reels' of his fights and hit on Ryan Reeves during the off-season. However Blues fans said the same thing. He would be a physical dominating force some games and follow that up with 4-5 games of nothingness. @shottasasa touched on his strengths though; he's not a liability - has decent board work and is defensively responsible. After 6 years of watching junk overpaid 4th liners, I guess that's okay enough for 825k.

May be a case where you have the guy go in and out of the lineup periodically to keep him "hungry."

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I got lost watching the highlight reels' of his fights and hit on Ryan Reeves during the off-season. However Blues fans said the same thing. He would be a physical dominating force some games and follow that up with 4-5 games of nothingness. @shottasasa touched on his strengths though; he's not a liability - has decent board work and is defensively responsible. After 6 years of watching junk overpaid 4th liners, I guess that's okay enough for 825k.

May be a case where you have the guy go in and out of the lineup periodically to keep him "hungry."

Absolutely. He's capable of it - I saw him have a terrific game for St. Louis last year as well - but the coaching staff will have to find ways to get that out of him consistently.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
A 1 PM start would guarantee that I miss the entire game. So probably going to be a spectacular game where the Nucks dominate and EP serves notice to the rest of the league (3G, 3A).

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Oh 1pm?! That's completely perfect for me. I can actually watch the whole game without getting interrupted*.

*I mean, of course I will because I have two small kids and responsibilities but it won't be because the game starts in the middle of the bedtime routine

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013

Looks possible that we might see Mikheyev make his debut (and Hoglander would look to be the odd man out).

Apparently Mikheyev has a rep for trying to return early from injuries and playing through injuries so let’s hope he isn’t rushing back, lady thing you want is for him to re-aggregate the injury and make it an even longer absence.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Oh 1pm?! That's completely perfect for me. I can actually watch the whole game without getting interrupted*.

*I mean, of course I will because I have two small kids and responsibilities but it won't be because the game starts in the middle of the bedtime routine

Having 2 kids suck. 10 years ago I would be starting my routine of dinner and beer at 6:30pm. Now it's a milk bottle and a book and hoping to god they fall asleep before game time. At least for tomorrow the only thing I have to watch is my mouth. I miss being able to swear at my TV screen though.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
Having 2 kids suck. 10 years ago I would be starting my routine of dinner and beer at 6:30pm. Now it's a milk bottle and a book and hoping to god they fall asleep before game time. At least for tomorrow the only thing I have to watch is my mouth. I miss being able to swear at my TV screen though.
Have you tried giving them half a benzo each in there milk?

• Love
Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown

Mine are 3 and 6 and very good at going to bed. My wife is also into sports so she's fine with making hockey (and baseball) a bit of a priority. The youngest is usually asleep by 7:30pm and he's fine with me listening to the game while it streams to my phone as long as I can properly read his books. It's just there's no release until about 8-8:30pm to get all the other chores done. Like game one, I didn't really get to fully watch the game until the third period.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Hahaha. Jesus. I thought this was a GDT and usually road trips don't have 2 day breaks.

2 day breaks to start off the season no less.

I think the Canucks once faced the Bruins in a 7:30AM PST start on US Thanksgiving in 1999. That was totally ridiculous.

Mine are 3 and 6 and very good at going to bed. My wife is also into sports so she's fine with making hockey (and baseball) a bit of a priority. The youngest is usually asleep by 7:30pm and he's fine with me listening to the game while it streams to my phone as long as I can properly read his books. It's just there's no release until about 8-8:30pm to get all the other chores done. Like game one, I didn't really get to fully watch the game until the third period.

Mine are 1 and 3 so I got a long long way to go till I get peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln